Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New Borla X-pipe and cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:52 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Default New Borla X-pipe and cat-back

Alright. Finally got home with my newly installed Borla X-pipe and Cat-back exhaust. Borla is making the video right now using my car to show the difference between their 3 lines of exhausts: touring, S-type, and ATAK. They were also nice enough to give me a Dyno sheet with a baseline and a run with the exhaust installed. They initially gave me my car with the ATAK exhaust on it. It was WAY too loud for me. There was no drone, but the slightest tap on the throttle and it was noticably loud with the windows up. They took it back to the shop and put the touring exhaust on it for me. It's a really good sound and it's not incredible loud. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an exhaust for this car. The dyno sheet shows about a 10 hp increase from baseline. I'll take the best picture I can later with my phone of the sheet and post it here. They weren't sure when the video would be ready, but they said in the next couple of weeks most likely.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:53 AM
Bokeo
2nd Gear Member

Congrats Dan! Im quite pleased with my S-type.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Thanks! It sounds just right now. I'm back with pictures now too.

Edit 2: These attached pics can be seen below, thanks to 6+6. I'm aweful at attaching these pics the right way

Edit: I posted these pics, but I have no idea how to make them larger to view on here. If you can't see the pics very well, let me know how to post them so they're easier to see and I'll re-post them.

This one is the dyno sheet. The stock numbers are right around 231 tq and 258 HP at the wheels. Assuming 16% powertrain loss, that puts it right at 275 tq and 307 HP at the flywheel. That's pretty close to the factory numbers. And the cat back numbers are 240 tq and 268 hp. That would be 286 tq and 319 HP. Not a bad gain overall. But, it's really about the sound either way.

New Borla X-pipe and cat-back-picture2-001.jpg

Here is a picture of the new X-pipe. I don't have a before picture.

Attachment 25504

Here's a before picture on the exhaust tips.

New Borla X-pipe and cat-back-picture-021_2.jpg

And the new exhaust tips. They look MUCH better.

New Borla X-pipe and cat-back-picture2-003_2.jpg

Last edited by LTDan; 02-05-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 PM
dangerzone

congrats your car is now in one of the best videos in youtube ever.

saw it today.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:47 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Posting pics for Dan...I brightened up them all as well....

Old 02-05-2011, 06:59 PM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

That's awesome! I have the Borla Stingers on mine and love 'em. They have some drone to them but just live with it - not bad to me.

Great video...(I'm assuming this is yours) http://www.youtube.com/user/borla#p/u/0/TyJCVQuyWVw
Old 02-05-2011, 07:12 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

beat me to posting video.....dan at highway speed is the atak real oud, or were you referring to take off, if door blowing loud at take off I want ATAK..?
Old 02-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Radioguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LTDan
Alright. Finally got home with my newly installed Borla X-pipe and Cat-back exhaust. Borla is making the video right now using my car to show the difference between their 3 lines of exhausts: touring, S-type, and ATAK. They were also nice enough to give me a Dyno sheet with a baseline and a run with the exhaust installed. They initially gave me my car with the ATAK exhaust on it. It was WAY too loud for me. There was no drone, but the slightest tap on the throttle and it was noticably loud with the windows up. They took it back to the shop and put the touring exhaust on it for me. It's a really good sound and it's not incredible loud. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for an exhaust for this car. The dyno sheet shows about a 10 hp increase from baseline. I'll take the best picture I can later with my phone of the sheet and post it here. They weren't sure when the video would be ready, but they said in the next couple of weeks most likely.
Congratulations on the great results! Obviously Borla is really focused on customer satisfaction and has very high quality products. There willingness to change the mufflers, to meet your objectives, and their doing the performance tests - baseline and after install - demonstrates their confidence in their products. The performance result is impressive and the pictures of the product.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:38 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by red07Pony
That's awesome! I have the Borla Stingers on mine and love 'em. They have some drone to them but just live with it - not bad to me.

Great video...(I'm assuming this is yours) http://www.youtube.com/user/borla#p/u/0/TyJCVQuyWVw
Yeah.... that's my car in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/borla#p/u/0/TyJCVQuyWVw

You all beat me to posting it 8)

Originally Posted by 6+6 Stang
beat me to posting video.....dan at highway speed is the atak real oud, or were you referring to take off, if door blowing loud at take off I want ATAK..?

Thanks for posting the pics for me. It (the ATAK) was all around really loud except for idle and normal cruising. There is zero drone from any of the systems and without any throttle input, these system are pretty much whisper quiet while cruising at any speed down the highway, but as soon as you tap the throttle to speed up, you'll be able to hear it. It's very loud on take off and during rev and was actually kind of tough to hold a conversation during acceleration. It sounds a bit different in person. I really don't like the crackling you get when letting off of the throttle on the louder exhausts. To me, it sounded a lot like a souped up Civic, but without the high end distortion/buziness there normally is on those cars. The touring has a nice mellow deep throaty sound. They didn't dyno my car with the tuner, but I did throw on the SCT 87 street tune after leaving Borla. It definitely makes the car noticably more rumbly. With the touring exhaust and Bama tune, the car sounds and handles perfectly for me. The power add is just enough between the 2 to be able to actually leave my car in 6th gear going up long hills on the highway without losing speed. And best of all, the touring doesn't have that cracking sound at all.

Last edited by LTDan; 02-05-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:00 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

So S type might be a good mix if I'm looking for noise at take off and if jump on it? thanks...how did you ever get up with them to give you $900. worth the dynoing and mufflers...you live next door to them lol? lol

Quick Reply: New Borla X-pipe and cat-back