Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

performance package option a must?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
tat2dphreak

Default performance package option a must?

I'm shopping trying to find the right trim of Mustang for me. I searched, but can't really find the answer, so I gotta ask

essentially I've looked at v6 MCA+performance pkg v6s and a "plain" GT premium... the price difference is negligible.. but there's a 3rd contender.. a v6 vert(which I can't get the performance pkg for)... all for roughly the same price.

a test drive is too short to answer this question.. but how important is the performance pkg for daily driving? spirited weekend cruising?

I'm not planning on track days anytime soon... but maybe an autocross 1-2 times a year... can the performance package be replaced with aftermarket parts fairly easily?

I mostly like a spirited cruise through twisties and hills(part of why a vert is so appealing).. so I'm not worried about the hp difference as much as the handling difference... I'm also coming for a toy car that handled like a go-kart, turn on a dime... I like a good handling car that doesn't want to bounce or float too much...
Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
LSUfan88

I don't know from experience but I have heard that the v6 is a better handling car than the GT. I have read reviews that the lighter v6 is easier through the corners and the GT is a little heavy but not bad. I really don't think you can make a wrong choice here. As to the performance pkg I have no idea. I have a v6 with the 3.31 gears and I take it through corners and turns pretty well. I have seen plenty of aftermarket suspension so if you get it and don't like it you can easily get new stuff.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

The V6 is nice, sporty, & fun to drive, but if I was most interested in performance, I'd get the V8.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Grabber2012

tat2dphreak wants the V6.

For what you're looking at doing later, the package will give you a heck of a start on upgrading the suspension. The "roadability" (as snotnosed magazines like Motor Trend say) will hardly be stiff...great for daily driving.

I'd go for the P-P since it bundles a reasonable amount of good things together. True, you'd probably pick slightly different parts such as springs and shocks yourself, but it saves you having to modify the car right away.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Radioguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tat2dphreak
I'm shopping trying to find the right trim of Mustang for me. I searched, but can't really find the answer, so I gotta ask

essentially I've looked at v6 MCA+performance pkg v6s and a "plain" GT premium... the price difference is negligible.. but there's a 3rd contender.. a v6 vert(which I can't get the performance pkg for)... all for roughly the same price.

a test drive is too short to answer this question.. but how important is the performance pkg for daily driving? spirited weekend cruising?

I'm not planning on track days anytime soon... but maybe an autocross 1-2 times a year... can the performance package be replaced with aftermarket parts fairly easily?

I mostly like a spirited cruise through twisties and hills(part of why a vert is so appealing).. so I'm not worried about the hp difference as much as the handling difference... I'm also coming for a toy car that handled like a go-kart, turn on a dime... I like a good handling car that doesn't want to bounce or float too much...
I have the V6 Premium MCA convertible and I feel like it handles extremely well. No perceptible body roll when making reasonably high speed corners. The body stiffness was "doubled" between 2010 and 2011 on the convertible. I think if I ever did a suspension upgrade it might be adjustable shocks/struts with the stock springs - strictly for autocross. Of course, the fun level is very high
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 AM
D BERRY
1st Gear Member

Hey Radioguy, where did you get that way cool 3.7 badge, and is it metal or vinyl?
Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Radioguy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by D BERRY
Hey Radioguy, where did you get that way cool 3.7 badge, and is it metal or vinyl?
The 3.7 badge comes from Autobadges.com The badge is metal with a composite backing.

http://www.autobadges.com/emblems/
Old 02-17-2011, 01:25 AM
zulu45
1st Gear Member

Personally, I had to choose between a base GT, a V6 with performance pack, a V6 auto premium, or a V6 convertible; I went for the V6 Premium auto, and I am not disappointed. It handles great in the corners, gives me amazing fuel economy, about 14.0s 1/4 mile times, and I enjoy the features of the premium. I do intend on getting a Bama tune from American Muscle, and if the tune doesn't do it, I'll be removing the speed limited... That's about all I intend on doing. I prefer the manual for fun, but once I drove the auto, I knew I wanted it. I never expected it to be so responsive.

I'm not a fan of convertibles, but as for handling without the performance pack, I have no problem with very spirited driving with my 2.73 auto, and I get great fuel economy at the time. I turn off TC and Turn on Hill Descent, and fun times are had. I've found the shifts to be very quick with HDC on.

Last edited by zulu45; 02-17-2011 at 01:36 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:35 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Can I suggest the 8 for some very obvious reasons. Oh good luck