Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BBK Headers, BBK catted X Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:21 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Ahh. I get what you were saying. I thought you were saying you need an x-pipe with headers in general. I liked the way David Borla summarized the no-cat issue brought up recently. There isn't a lot of reason to go with cats given the fact that you can't legally remove any cat without breaking a federal law. Visual inspections are one reason to get cats in the x-pipe but most likely they know what they're looking for. Only way I'd order with the cats is if I was in a state with smog tests and the manufacturer of the x-pipe gave a guarantee that the high flow cats in their system would pass a sniffer test.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:24 PM
arnold66

Originally Posted by wrxified
Ahh. I get what you were saying. I thought you were saying you need an x-pipe with headers in general. I liked the way David Borla summarized the no-cat issue brought up recently. There isn't a lot of reason to go with cats given the fact that you can't legally remove any cat without breaking a federal law. Visual inspections are one reason to get cats in the x-pipe but most likely they know what they're looking for. Only way I'd order with the cats is if I was in a state with smog tests and the manufacturer of the x-pipe gave a guarantee that the high flow cats in their system would pass a sniffer test.
You got it, were I live no smog tests or front plates. Life is good.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:28 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by arnold66
You got it, were I live no smog tests or front plates. Life is good.
Giddy up. That's like us in Michigan too. "Pure Michigan" errrr "Pure Fuel Smell".

I love the smell of a muscle car with no cats on calm summer morning....
Old 02-18-2011, 09:53 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang11v6
After reading this I did not order yet. Called my dealer who is going to do the install. He said 5 hours labor. Period.

He has a Mustang himself.

I emailed American Muscle and asked if they have tunes for this. Will wait to hear back. If so then I will go ahead with it.

I get the impression that adding headers is NOT a good thing.
I thought it would a heck of a lot safer road to take for performance then going with a supercharger.

Hope it would shorten the engine life!!!
Of course we have tunes for it! You're good to go!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:03 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

ordered the headers and x pipe today.
will be downloading my tunes soon.

expected rwhp to be around 290.
not bad
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Definitely let us know once you get them installed and get a chance to try it out!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:13 PM
2zero11

Sounds nice man I have mine on order should be here anyday now. I think your gonna see more than 290 rwhp though, im thinking 325 especially with your dyno tune.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

Got my headers and x pipe today. They look awsome. AM is now working on my new tunes. Will have them installed next weekend by dealer. I am sure they will change the sound for the better. Thank you AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 PM
2zero11

Keep us posted Im pretty sure yours will be installed before mine. It should change the sound for the better. Do you have any axlebacks on your car yet?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:24 PM
LTDan
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang11v6
Got my headers and x pipe today. They look awsome. AM is now working on my new tunes. Will have them installed next weekend by dealer. I am sure they will change the sound for the better. Thank you AM.
You decided to go no cats, right? Make sure the tune you get disables the rear O2 sensors. Otherwise, you'll get an engine light. And from what I've heard, going no cats with long tubes on these cars makes them ridiculously loud. Just watch out so you don't get pulled over.

Quick Reply: BBK Headers, BBK catted X Pipe