Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BBK Headers, BBK catted X Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

Default BBK Headers, BBK catted X Pipe

After much thought about them I have made my decision. I have a 2011 V6, auto, C&L CAI, SCT tuner, Bama tunes, Ford Racing 3.73 gears, and now,,,,I am going to add the headers. Yep, tomorrow I call AM and am ordering my ceramic long tube headers and catted X pipe along with asking for new tunes to go along with them. Then when they arrive, dealer is installing.
I hope with all this that if I dyno I get 300 wrhp. That would be cool.
That would mean crank should be around 340 or so.

As for supercharger or turbo, I am going to stay n.a.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:19 PM
arnold66

Be careful there web site calls for ten hours labor for both of them.(8 for headers 2 for x pipe) Talk to them on the phone a week ago, was told the job was a bear to do. Ask if they have tune now, as of a week ago they didn't. Still no HP numbers or instructions from BBK. Good luck!!
Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

If you have a lift, it can be a 4 hour job.

It's all a matter of if you're prepared, if you have a lift, etc. If you're doing it with jackstands, it could be anywhere from 6-10 hours.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:00 AM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

They estimate 2 hrs on the x-pipe? Is that with a blindfold and their hands tied behind their back. WTF? If they say it takes 2 hrs to do the x-pipe and 8 for the headers, plan on 2 for the headers.

I've got Race Ramps with the rear wheel cribs. It's not as good as a lift but having 24" between the ground and bottom of the car really helps make tinkering under the car a little more enjoyable.

Last edited by wrxified; 02-18-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

We go off manufacturer recommendations. Like I said, plan on 4 hours with a lift and 6 hours without. The other issue is that some people work faster than others. Some people take 15 cigarette/beer breaks and some people work straight through!

Chris
Old 02-18-2011, 06:05 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

After reading this I did not order yet. Called my dealer who is going to do the install. He said 5 hours labor. Period.

He has a Mustang himself.

I emailed American Muscle and asked if they have tunes for this. Will wait to hear back. If so then I will go ahead with it.

I get the impression that adding headers is NOT a good thing.
I thought it would a heck of a lot safer road to take for performance then going with a supercharger.

Hope it would shorten the engine life!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stang11v6
After reading this I did not order yet. Called my dealer who is going to do the install. He said 5 hours labor. Period.

He has a Mustang himself.

I emailed American Muscle and asked if they have tunes for this. Will wait to hear back. If so then I will go ahead with it.

I get the impression that adding headers is NOT a good thing.
I thought it would a heck of a lot safer road to take for performance then going with a supercharger.

Hope it would shorten the engine life!!!
Did the dealer say something that worried you about headers? Headers shouldn't ever be the cause of engine damage. It's the lean condition that could happen if you run them without a proper tune. Same with a supercharger.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:18 PM
arnold66

Headers will not shorten engine life. My post to you was about the information I got from
American Muscle. The HP from a post that I saw from BBK max 20HP-25HP, 12HP across the board. Still do not know if this is true, or what HP you get with BBK headers. Which X-pipe are you going with, as you will need one with the headers. Cats-No-cats

By the way I see you have your car setup something like me.

My cars setup as of now.
2011 Mustang Pony, 3.7, auto, 3.73 rears and tuned on a Dyno with SCT.
(35mm) 1-3/8" x .25 wall Adjustable Front Sway Bar
(22mm) 7/8 Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
Steeda Sport Springs
lowered front 1", lowered rear 1 1/4"
Steeda HD Strut Mount
Koni Yellow Adjustable Shocks/Struts Front&Rear
Shaftmasters Drive Shaft
Stock wheels and tires 56lb new wheels and tires 42lb.

Last edited by arnold66; 02-18-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:23 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Arnold - Not all of the headers will require an x-pipe. The Borla ones that are soon to be released will mate right up to the stock x-pipe or their x-pipe.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:13 PM
arnold66

Originally Posted by wrxified
Arnold - Not all of the headers will require an x-pipe. The Borla ones that are soon to be released will mate right up to the stock x-pipe or their x-pipe.
The long tube headers form BBK you need a x-pipe, if the Borla mates to the x-pipe you will have no cats unless the cats are part of the long tubes them self.

Quick Reply: BBK Headers, BBK catted X Pipe