Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

BBK headers, X pipe,,,,bad rattle, vabration

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:41 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

Default BBK headers, X pipe,,,,bad rattle, vabration

I had recently had BBK headers and X pipe installed. I also have magnaflow mufflers. Prior to the headers my car sounded pretty good to me. After the header and x pipe install, the sound is awesome..HOWEVER..I now have a noise whenever I sort of get on it on just plain get on it. If I accelerate normally it sounds fine. But pushing it more and I get a rattle or vibration noise until rpm are higher, past 5000. Sounds like it is coming from just below my seat best I can tell. Had the dealer ride along so he could hear. He was not sure what it could be.
They lifted the car up and everything check tight and secure.

My best guess is that something in the catts is loose and therefore vibrates when higher airflow goes through causing this noise. So I called AM where I bought them and was referred to BBK. Then BBK said they would send me another set for $350 after proof of purchase of the first set from AM. So I bought another set. Took car to dealer today for the swapout. Hoping like hell this works.

If anyone has had a similar experience please let me know your findings. I do not believe I should get the weird sound at high airflow. I can even get this vibration, rattle sound if I am doing 65 and punch it. When I let up it goes away and sounds clean.

Hopefully if this swap works I can ship the other set back to BBK for a refund minus my shipping cost of course.

Was hoping it would of all been handled through AM but apprently they just sell the product.

Last edited by stang11v6; 03-29-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:22 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

make sure all the heat shields are tight? Also, it doesn't look like the exhaust would be vibrating against anything.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

Picked up car today from dealer after they installed the new X pipe. Nothing different so far. Sounds the same. Still has the weird sound upon fast acceleration. So I called a performance shop here that their specialty is the Mustang. They told me they believe they could help. So I am taking my car down to them this Friday.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:13 PM
scoots
2nd Gear Member

Slightly different car, but I had a similar issue on my 2005 GT when I installed an x-pipe. Nothing was touching when looking under the car, but one of the x-pipe hangers was very close to the transmission support bracket. Upon closer inspection there were some small scratches on the hanger. Turned out with the soft engine mounts the car has the exhaust was rotating slightly under load and the exhaust was vibrating against the trans cross member. Just a thought.

Scott
Old 04-03-2011, 10:59 AM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

took my car to performance place. They said it just sounds like the exhaust system and nothing to do or worry about. So I am returning the one set to AM. They have been very helpful. Also called BBK late Friday. The girl there said to call back Monday as the tech people, who have already gone home for the day, will want to know about this. So for now I will just live with this sound upon faster acceleration. If BBK can do nothing I will probably consider Kooks or another brand later down the road when they all come out with a system. I hate to spend spend spend but my car is very important to me and I want it right.

By the way I am putting my car in a club car show this summer. That means wax and prep it up real good.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
dangerzone

hey stang11v6 i know your very busy but can you post up a video of this noise?
Old 04-03-2011, 03:11 PM
stang11v6
2nd Gear Member

yes i am a pretty busy guy.
take care of my 90 year old dad, 87 year old mom, and of course honey do's, LOL, buy yes I will try. I will also let ya all know what BBK says.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Wdsoccer102005

I have the same exact problem on my BBK setup. I have the ceramic longtubes with off road x-pipe. I took it to a muffler shop to see if there was a leak (that's kind of what it sounds like) and there wasn't. Everything checked out perfect. Then I took it to a guy that specializes in mustangs. He went for a ride with me and he told me that's just the way BBK x-pipes sound. That it's the way they make the actual x weld in the pipe and that it's the air passing though that makes that sound. I'm going to get the rubber cylinders that were welded on the factory exhaust and put them on it and see if it quiets it down. I will update you when I do.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Alien
1st Gear Member

so many people with headers and still no video?
Old 04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Wdsoccer102005

I'm uploading now. It's when I first put em on. Front heated o2s weren't connected because the wrong extensions were sent. Car was running rich as heck!

Quick Reply: BBK headers, X pipe,,,,bad rattle, vabration