Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

K&N drop in & CAI

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:09 PM
fastforAPONY
1st Gear Member

Default K&N drop in & CAI

Does a K&N drop in give us any more power on our 3.7 mustang?
Has anyone dyno a K&N drop in before and after?
I thought, I saw somewhere, about some Cai stating it would work with up to a certain size TB.
Does anyone know what size TB will work with a no tune Cai before it becomes to small with other mods?
What size TB do we have? My wife's modified 2003 focus (ZTS) has a 65 mm and she has gone by SC Monte Carlo SS.
How many mods can we do before we out grow our TB?
I am guessing some members are almost there if not there already!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 PM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

A K&N filter produces no more power than the stock paper filter, certainly nothing that can be felt by the driver. I've received that information directly from the local dyno shop.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 AM
fastforAPONY
1st Gear Member

I cannot feel a difference either, but at fordracingparts. They say their K&N filter flows approimately 22% more than stock filter. More flow would mean more power would it not?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Mach 1 Mark

I'm waiting for either Airraid or JLT to get CARB approval. Airaid says they are in the process to getting approval. JLT didn't give any answers other than they don't have approval in CA. I was wondering about the K&N but I really didn't want to keep the stock air box set up.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Unless you go with a CAI AND Tune, I would consider the mod a waste of money. THe tune is where most of the power is. Without it, a non-tuneable CAI might be good for a handful (<5 RWHP).
Old 05-02-2011, 07:51 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Unless you go with a CAI AND Tune, I would consider the mod a waste of money. THe tune is where most of the power is. Without it, a non-tuneable CAI might be good for a handful (<5 RWHP).
That is not what the dyno results showed by the Youtube video posted by American Muscle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSx7MGTecE where they were testing a JLT CAI.

With that said, I will say that I have both an Airaid CAI and Bama tune.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I don't know ANY vehicle that has seen gains with a drop-in filter, despite what the manufacturers and the guys that sell them say.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 PM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I don't know ANY vehicle that has seen gains with a drop-in filter, despite what the manufacturers and the guys that sell them say.
To clarify, I was only refering to Derf00's comment about the CAI. Nothing else. Apologies if that wasn't clear.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:14 AM
fastforAPONY
1st Gear Member

I was looking at either the airaid or steeda cai. The steeda cai has alarger maf housing tube.I was looking to see if it would be any better with future mods.
Here is what I found.
Stock tb is 68mm(my focus has a 65mm tb)
stock and no tune cai maf housing tube is 3" or76.1999mm
steeda cai maf housing tube is larger(this is why it need a tune) but I do know how much
I could go up to a 76mm tb and it would not be larger than the no tune cai.
I think the intake manifold is 3" anyway
I cannot see going with a larger maf housing like steeda has is going to make much of a difference.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by sketchy00
To clarify, I was only refering to Derf00's comment about the CAI. Nothing else. Apologies if that wasn't clear.
Uhh, like i said the CAI by itself is a waste, a drop-in filter is a bigger waste. The TUNE has most of the power.

Here's why (and what the video proves). The STock program can only adjust for so much added airflow. That means you are limited by the PCM on how much power you will gain from a CAI. Unless you get a tune to go along with a CAI you will never realize the entire potential a CAI will provide you with. Why spend the money on a mod that can't be fully utilized, ergo a CAI without a tune, ergo CAI is a waste without the tune....

Last edited by Derf00; 05-05-2011 at 10:32 AM.

Quick Reply: K&N drop in & CAI