Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2012 V6 Engine looks scaley

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 10:04 AM
3fan
1st Gear Member

I like the comment if you get that gas milage your not driving it right. lol. I only get 15mpg highway on my 06 due to tune and supercharger. Not a daily driver tho.

As far as the engine that is just part of the casting process. The aluninum will also oxidize due to road spray salt ect.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Grey2011GT
1st Gear Member

Smile 2012 V6 Engine looks scaley

Originally Posted by 3fan
I like the comment if you get that gas milage your not driving it right. lol. I only get 15mpg highway on my 06 due to tune and supercharger. Not a daily driver tho.

As far as the engine that is just part of the casting process. The aluninum will also oxidize due to road spray salt ect.
{{{ Im sure we all are capable of getting great numbers MPG when we want to . I dont expect 29mpg watching the speedo waaay up there or during performance driving }}}

Back to aluminum casting...
Old 05-16-2011, 08:20 AM
3.0Taurass
3rd Gear Member

I don't see why the 'as-cast' surface wouldn't be smooth. I don't see how the scales would form. Flash is when you have a mold and some molten steel seeps between them and solidifies. The **** around the edge of this part is flash.

The aluminum won't oxidize from road salt or anything. It oxidizes as soon as it solidifies. Aluminum forms Aluminum Oxide and a micron scale thick Aluminum oxide layer covers the part and protects it against further corrosion/oxidation.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:14 AM
sketchy00
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3.0Taurass
The aluminum won't oxidize from road salt or anything. It oxidizes as soon as it solidifies. Aluminum forms Aluminum Oxide and a micron scale thick Aluminum oxide layer covers the part and protects it against further corrosion/oxidation.
In other words, our engine blocks are a giant antiperspirant stick. :-)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:24 AM
racin' randy

thanks all, it seems normal from all the feedback.
Randy
Old 05-18-2011, 05:22 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Yep, it's the casting, nothing to worry about.
They don't spend a lot of time to make those molds all that smooth.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:06 AM
clevergirl

Default Do you truly love it?

Hi Randy,

I know your v6 is your putt-putt car, i'm hoping you could answer my question though:

i'm in the process of ordering the 2012 V6 Premium and i'm torn between getting the glass top or not, my daughter will be seating in the backseat and wondering if the sun would be beating on her pretty bad if I get the glass top, any info?

I will be a first time mustang buyer, i've always driven acura's. I'm hoping I will love this car, one of our friends got the older (2010) convertible. I have a 5 year old and I'm not comfortable with the convertible with her seating in the backseat, so the glasstop will be a nice compromise.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

My, my... Grey2011GT surely took offense to that "not using all 412" comment. Lol. As for the engine pics: I didn't know Ford used lead based paint to coat the block. Lol
Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 AM
SilverStallion05
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by clevergirl
Hi Randy,

I know your v6 is your putt-putt car, i'm hoping you could answer my question though:

i'm in the process of ordering the 2012 V6 Premium and i'm torn between getting the glass top or not, my daughter will be seating in the backseat and wondering if the sun would be beating on her pretty bad if I get the glass top, any info?

I will be a first time mustang buyer, i've always driven acura's. I'm hoping I will love this car, one of our friends got the older (2010) convertible. I have a 5 year old and I'm not comfortable with the convertible with her seating in the backseat, so the glasstop will be a nice compromise.

Thanks.

While your question may be answered here, I suggest posting an off topic question to a different/new tread. Chances are you will get more answers that way.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
racin' randy

Well I can answer that. I think it is a matter of choice. I don't have the glass top and didn't want it. I think from what I have seen it is pretty well protected from the sun. Why not go to a dealer and test drive one to see what you think.
Lots of money for one.
Racin' Randy

Quick Reply: 2012 V6 Engine looks scaley