Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Steering wheel

Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 PM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

Default Steering wheel

Hi! I have the base V6 Mustang. Because I didn't want the pony package (I didn't want the rear spoiler in fact), I could not choose the interior upgrade (this is really stupid by the way).
Anyway, it came equipped with the horrible base steering wheel. Does any of you did try to change it for something like this one?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/grant-...-red-1011.html

I'm used to a leather steering wheel, not rubber like this one...
Any suggestions? Comments?
Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 PM
heroic_bacon

i used to have a leather one too, so the wheel felt really crappy. However, after driving a bit, I got used to the feeling... not that good, but it no longer bothers me.

If you really can't stand the feeling, I suggest buying a leather wheel cover (hopefully it wont look as tacky as it will in mine... black wheel in beige interior?). Much cheaper than replacing the actual wheel, which will set you back about 200-300 bucks.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:43 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

I have the Grant steering wheel and really like it. I have the stock leather premium wheel if you're interested. Will sell it for $125 shipped.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:31 PM
MarkThorn
2nd Gear Member

Mmm, very interesting. I'll come back to you about that.
Did you make the switch yourself? In fact I'm a little worried about the airbag.
It would be very nice to see some pics of your interior with the Grant steering wheel.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:36 PM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MarkThorn
Mmm, very interesting. I'll come back to you about that.
Did you make the switch yourself? In fact I'm a little worried about the airbag.
It would be very nice to see some pics of your interior with the Grant steering wheel.
Understood. Gotta respect the airbag. The swap was easy using the Grant instructions. The steps most important are removing the airbag fuse and disconnecting the battery. From there it's a 20 minute job.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:11 AM
ZdProjects

I just got my 2012 today and the steering is driving me crazy too! Ill be willing to take up the offer on the premium steering wheel, I really like those.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 AM
wrxified
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZdProjects
I just got my 2012 today and the steering is driving me crazy too! Ill be willing to take up the offer on the premium steering wheel, I really like those.
If you're interested just shoot me a PM with your email. The steering wheel is in perfect shape. I only had it installed for 2 months.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Upsh1ft
2nd Gear Member

I concur about the Premium wheel. From having touched the base steering, the rubbery fake-leather steering in my dad's 2010 F-150 FX4 and the Premium Leather wheel in my 2012 Mustang, that premium wheel is a real beauty and a real pleasure to the touch.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Joenpb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MarkThorn
Does any of you did try to change it for something like this one?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/grant-...-red-1011.html
The thing I notice is the button spaces are for two rows, CC & radio controls. The base steering wheel only has one row, CC. So I guess you could order the extra buttons at the dealer even though they wouldn't be hooked up. Don't know how it would look with only one row. I saw these, but thought they were over priced. Ended up installing a black Wheelskin. Looks good, has that nice leather feel, and a great price, it did take me a couple of hours to install though.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I'm actually thinking of of replacing my premium wheel with the boss wheel that has alacantara.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel