Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

Question CAI really worth it?

Ok I have read every thread I can find about CAIs and tunes. Here is what I've found. Steeda is the only one that makes a CAI that requires a tune. But from what I've read it doesn't make any more power than any of the others. If this is true and the others do not require a tune then are they really flowing any more than the stock intake? If they were wouldn't it cause an error code? Or is it mainly the temperature difference? If they do flow more is it really all that much different? From looking at the designs of most of them I don't see how they aren't pulling in air from inside the engine compartment anyways. The Airaid and Steeda look to be the only ones that might pull in cooler air.
It seems to me if they aren't really making all that much difference I should just keep the factory intake for now, get a tuner and if I want the CAI for looks I can do that later.

Thoughts?
Old 12-09-2011, 01:35 PM
CARY BULLITT

I recommend getting the bundled CAI and SCT (or other brand) tuner, such as those offered by Brenspeed and other online shops...CAI are designed to allow more air in than stock = better performance.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

But if CAI doesn't require a tune then is it really flowing more air? If it did wouldn't it throw an error code?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:44 PM
CARY BULLITT

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that but it makes sense. Mine came with a CAI so Ford had already tuned it. I suggest you talk with Chandler at Brenspeed - he will know. Or, any of the Mustang shops online. To me a good tuner from a reputable online shop makes sense anyway if you are planning any performance mods down the road. Most shops will provide you free update tunes as you add parts purchased from them. I have already saved $760 in tunes by purchasing a SCT tuner from Brenspeed. That would be true had I purchased a tuner from another shop as well.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

Found a video that AM did comparing results for popular intake and tuning combos, or intake and tune alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adSx7MGTecE

This was an interesting quote I found too
On the ProCharger V6 the difference between an open air filter and the stock airbox was only 9 HP at the peak. So the stock airbox isn't too bad considering it only lost 9 HP on a 475 HP supercharged motor.
It sure seems to me my money would be better spent on 3.55 or 3.73 gears and a tuner instead of a CAI and tuner.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:27 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I definitely will get gears too, but got the CAI and tune first. One thing the CAI does is slightly improve mpgs, so may help offset some of the fuel economy loss you will experience with steeper gears.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:10 AM
Bluesalad

I think the price that all these companies charge for a CAI is ridiculous.
Hundreds for a handful of ponies. No thanks.
I saved my money and just got the K&N filter in the stock airbox.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:03 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Running a CAI without a tune can increase airflow, however, you need to consider WHEN it will increase airflow. If the stock airbox and pipe can flow enough to feed the engine at 6200 rpm, it doesn't present a signifigant restriction at 3000 rpm. You have to wind the motor up to realize any restriction. This means that adding a lower restriction CAI can help at high rpm, but won't be very perceptible at low rpm. In reality, the most restrictive part of the stock system is the paper filter. A K&N or similar filter is the best answer if no other mods are planned.
Now about the code; No, it won't ordinarily pop a code because the Mass Air type systems measure the added airflow and match it to an extent. IF the airflow can exceed the limits of programming or fuel system, then you get a lean condition that pops a code.
The reason the program is so meaningful with a CAI is that it can actually retune the cams to be more agressive down low. That's where the CAI becomes more important than a simple filter upgrade. There is no single right answer here. Different tune developers have different ideas on what is best. It all really comes down to driveability. That is subjective and based on the individual driver.Tuners have to walk a fine line between radical performance and good manners. People usually aren't very forgiving of bad manners when they pay hundreds of dollars for something. A tune should be as smooth and gracefule and the OE tune, but deliver more power. If it was easy, the car would have come that way from Ford.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

I get what you are saying about when a CAI will increase airflow and that a tune can vary is important. But, I don't see how a tune is so meaningful with a CAI down low if the stock box doesn't present a significant restriction at 3000 rpm. I can see the tune being meaningful down low but not because a CAI is being used.

It would be great if American Muscle or someone else could test the air flow volume and incoming air temperature of various CAIs, the stock filter and a K&N filter.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. After seeing some of the passionate multi-page threads I was kind of expecting more feedback on this. Especially since when new people come on here and post the typical 'what performance mod should I do first' question and the typical response is 'CAI and a tuner'. I believe the bigger bang for the buck is gears and a tuner or just a tune.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM
mfvert2011
1st Gear Member

IMO, yes. My torque and HP increased along with my mpg. Have had CAI on previous cars: 2009 Challenter RT and 2001 Trans Am WS6.

Quick Reply: CAI really worth it?