Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Recall?? Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 03:41 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Default Recall?? Transmission Issues

I jumped onto the main page today and saw the video of that guy who took his governor off his v6 and the driveshaft exploded on him. i'd seen the video already, but someone in the comments said Ford issued a recall on 2011 and 2012 v6 mustangs the same day this video was uploaded. is this true?? I did a few google searches, but couldn't find a thing.

Regardless, here's my primary issue. Shifting into 2nd gear is a pain. It always makes the shift, but I do have to pull harder to get it into the gear, and the transmissions thuds (ever so slightly). All the other gears slide right in and engage.
.... That is, 99% of the time. Today I shifted into 1st gear and started to drive and suddenly a loud thud happened and my rpms revved up and i rolled backwards. i thought my transmission had fallen out, but it turns out it was just this odd issue. I shift into 1st, and sometimes its not 100% in gear, but its beyond where the gears would grind. For whatever reason, I release the clutch and it throws the shifter out with a thud back into neutral. Weird.

Ideas here? I've never had so much trouble with 2nd gear in an car i've owned, and 1st gear acts funky every once in a while. Hell, I even get that odd vibration in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears if I accelerate up to 3000 RPMS and then decelerate (the whole shifting mechanism vibrates loudly). its nuts. did I just get a bad transmission and is it even worth taking it to the dealer? I have 2012 V6 manual... i love this car, just odd things in it.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:52 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

I don't think anyone can answer your questions as fully as your Ford dealership.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:16 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
I don't think anyone can answer your questions as fully as your Ford dealership.
yeah, i was afraid of that.. i've never had any major problems with my Ford dealership, but hearing about other people's experiences always frightens me. looks like i'll have to bite the bullet and see what they have to say. thanks though!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:06 PM
edhayden

This along the same lines so, rather than start a new thread, let me add to this one. I also have a 2011 V6 Mustang coupe with a 6 speed manual transmission. Other than popping out of first gear my situation is nearly identical. I have been keeping up with the news regarding certain rough/notchy shifting problems with the MT-82 transmission, especially in cold weather. I learned that Ford issued a TSB which recommends changing the factory transmission fluid to a lighter grade (Motorcraft Dual Clutch fluid). My question is whether this is a "quick fix" or a long term solution. The MT-82 is not a dual clutch transmission. Will lighter fluid affect the service life of the transmission? One other question; what are the risks of having a non-dealer mechanic change the transmission fluid to something by Royal Purple, Amsoil or Redline. I've heard that Mustang owners who have changed to one of these non-Motorcraft fluids have been happy (smoother shifts).

Any comments / suggestions appreciated.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Strange Mud

I'm pretty sure your vibration issue is the dual mass flywheel, once both parts engage quite often there is a period on decel where it vibrates. Ford will tell you it's normal, however that doesn't make it right. My buddy has changed out his fluid to Redline MTL with good success (still occasional issues but better than the stock fluid. (I'm keeping mine stock for wtty reasons). If you do swap out the fluid I recommend keeping the original fluid in a clean container incase you need to put it back in.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

I saw this in an article where someone recommend changing your flywheel to an all aluminum flywheel and that it would most likely solve the vibration problems. i too have this vibration in my 2012 v6 manual, but it doesn't seem to affect the performance in any way.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/spec-a...el-1112v6.html

i think thats the product talked about to solve the vibration. take what i say with a grain of salt though since all my knowledge it researched on the internet, and has no backing from real life experience or technical ability haha (just so you know).

i also want to mention that the more i try to shift with fuel economy in mind, the more the transmission acts up. the harder i push the engine, and the higher i rev the RPM's, the better/smoother my shifting seems to be. its weird. i've only been testing this over the past week, but i'll definitely say shifting between 3000 and 4000 RPMs is better than shifting around 2500RPM. as i said, weird. not sure why.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

okay, i got a free oil change/checkup when i purchased my mustang and i rolled over 5k miles so i took the car in. while there i asked them about this problem and i wanted to post his answer so that others might know, should they ever look into it.

basically, the 2011 and 2012 mustangs were under investigation due to issues from the transmission (manual transmissions). there were rumors of recalls and such, but it didn't happen and won't. the investigation concluded that the problem was cold temperatures. the transmission fluid needed to warm up a tad and shifting would be smooth. made sense to me since most of my rides are 15 min or less from my home to work. anywhere else involves a lot of highway, so little shifting required.
i decided to take the mustang out into the country roads that had a lot of winding and turns so that i could go through the gears a lot. after driving for about 15+ minutes and shifting a bunch i'll admit, the issues vanished almost entirely. in fact, the car was a downright blast to drive, and suddenly i was taking corners hard, downshifting for the hell of it and just blasting my way through those country roads with a smile on my face and heart. so hopefully this helps others, and hopefully this cure sticks for me.

also, interesting note: mechanic at the ford dealership said that i COULD put in a higher quality transmission fluid, but noted that if the tranny failed then the warranty would be voided by the different fluid. interesting. thought i'd let you all know! take care folks
Old 01-10-2012, 08:07 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

@ghoststrykre
I feel a little bad about taking a shot at you sense your post made sense, but I have a little disdain for people who have a shorter commute then I do. RB!
"most of my rides are 15 min or less from my home to work."

Anyways I have noticed the same thing, that tranny is a ##### to shift sometimes when it is cold, especially into second gear. For my first oil change I took the plunge and went Amsoil after much consideration. The guy I ordered the my oil from suggested a better trans fluid. I have been wondering why Ford selected the fluid they did? From what I have read and what I have experienced it does not make a lot of sense.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:27 AM
bigcanoe
2nd Gear Member

2nd is my problem gear too. Its always harder to shift into 2nd, and it makes more noise, than any other gear.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:13 PM
harleyguy*

guys...i heard that the 6 speed manual trannys are made in CHINA.and they are having a lot of problems with them.i hope this is not true,if it is i would disapointed with ford.

harley guy

Quick Reply: Recall?? Transmission Issues