Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Recall?? Transmission Issues

Old 01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I think it is pretty widely known that Getrag and Ford had the MT-82 for the Mustang made in China, I have not seen anything to the contrary. I was not happy to find out it was build in China, but just because it was built in china does not mean that is the problem. I know it is easy to jump on the band wagon but I am holding out judgement for a while longer.
Try and find anything that does not at least have parts made in china?
Try and compete with other companies without using Chinese products?
It is the world we live in and I know it is natural to assume that China is the weak link but that is far from fact.

This morning I paid real close attention to my transmission on the way to work, it is about 24 miles of mixed driving and traffic was not that bad. I have to say the transmission felt 100% flawless today. No problems shifting into 2nd, no noise, nothing even in the beginning when it was cold.

I think I am going to keep a log of when it doesn't feel or sound right, it is a very sporadic thing with my Mustang. Initially I thought it was just breaking in and was a little rough, it wasn't until I saw other peoples complaints that I was really concerned. There is a little room in there for self doubt as well.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

2nd gear is also my trouble gear. i've let 3 people drive my car and all of them agree that it is louder and more difficult than the rest.. once the transmission warms up though its no problem at all.

there is also a definite "sweet spot" to shift with regards to how far in the clutch is, and how quickly you are releasing it as you are shifting to second. ive been heading out on weekends to back country roads to practice shifting quickly with it at varying RPMs. to be honest i really thought i was getting the hang of it because i was getting that wonderful shifting feeling that almost seems to resonate into your heart hahaha. maybe im just crazy, but i absolutely love when the shifting is smooth and gears throw the power to the pavement in time periods that human beings can't even measure.

anyway, a big snow storm rolled through Ohio two days ago and its still kind of snowing. the drive home from work was a **** yesterday, and i almost didn't make it up the hill to my garage. temperature dropped well below 20 degrees, and the tranmission is not happy about it... bummer for me.

so here i am, already hoping for summer to come quickly haha. when i reach this point is usually when winter is just getting started.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:07 PM
Ron Maxwell

Mustang Getrag MT82 2011 GT Problem: Vibration starts at 95mph and keeps getting worst the fast I go. Check drive shaft, tires,mounts, fluids, I am thinking a bearing in the transmission? What are your thought on how to find the real problem here? Open to anything. PS Drive shaft is stock would a one piece fix it? Just want it to go away .
Old 04-07-2021, 08:52 PM
mksmith76g@gmail.com

Ron,
There are a few things that can cause that problem and as car owners we always think it will be the most expensive part on the car that is the problem. Some less drastic areas that can be the problem are,
1. Wrapped or unbalanced drive shaft.
2. Chipped or broken tooth in the rear end. I had a brand new gear set loose a tooth within 100 miles and I had not even tried a 0-60 time test.
3.Rear gears that have are misaligned dur to the pinon nut getting loose.
There are others but before you go to a transmission shop check every thing else.
Hope this helps,
MKS
Old 04-08-2021, 01:53 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Probably best to start your own thread Ron. Tranmission mount may also be a source of concern.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:01 AM
Ron Maxwell

Originally Posted by mksmith76g@gmail.com
Ron,
There are a few things that can cause that problem and as car owners we always think it will be the most expensive part on the car that is the problem. Some less drastic areas that can be the problem are,
1. Wrapped or unbalanced drive shaft.
2. Chipped or broken tooth in the rear end. I had a brand new gear set loose a tooth within 100 miles and I had not even tried a 0-60 time test.
3.Rear gears that have are misaligned dur to the pinon nut getting loose.
There are others but before you go to a transmission shop check every thing else.
Hope this helps,
MKS
Yes all good points, I had the rear end completely rebuilt , Pinion bearing,axle bearings new ring gear and all the bearings, drive shaft check it was spot on, check all mounts and attachment bolts everywhere, transmission, engine, rear end still has the hi speed vibration. Pinion angle I believe is correct but looking at making some adjustments to see if some fine tuning won't cure the problem. I changed to transmission fluid as well, no metal found. still looking for this problem. Thanks any other thoughts?