Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Best Spent Money? (Efficiency)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:18 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Default Best Spent Money? (Efficiency)

I was just thinking about all the mods you can do and wondering where and in what order to do your mods. I know personally I think about what will make the car more efficient, basically what will make it go faster and farther and last longer. I also think mostly about relatively modest modification over long periods of time. I am always trying to figure out a long term strategy or priority list for mods. Now I have a long list of questions.

Rear Spoiler, ($100-$300)
when are they just a decoration?
How do you know when they will actually be useful?
When do they create more drag and not much down force?
How fast do you need to go and what kind of driving makes them worth while?

Drive Shaft ($700)
Seems like a new aluminum drive shaft would make a big difference, lets say it does weigh in 29 lbs less then stock, won't that save some gas as well as improve your 1/4 miles?

Rims,
Can you buy rims that weigh less to the point where there is a noticeable improvement in gas mileage and acceleration?

Hood and Trunk,
Same question again, are you really only going to notice an improvement on the way to a better 1/4 mile or would a composite hood and trunk save enough weight to notice at the pump?

Tune,
Seems to be plenty info here but if but I bring it up because it is clearly on the list of things that will get modded.

CAI
Same as tune, gonna get done.

So what else should be on the list?
Old 01-03-2012, 07:43 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

cai tune first...thats a general consensus, then my two cents would be to save the rest of the money you are talking about toward a supercharger
Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Unclenard
1st Gear Member

Lowering the car can improve MPG and definitely the looks
Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 PM
aerbourne
2nd Gear Member

and its always smart to put money into handling =)
Old 01-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by WORKISSLOW
Rear Spoiler, ($100-$300)
when are they just a decoration? Majority of the time on a DD street car
How do you know when they will actually be useful? Aren't unless you have a fairly serious track car
When do they create more drag and not much down force? Front wheel drive cars mostly
How fast do you need to go and what kind of driving makes them worth while? Track situations

Drive Shaft ($700)
Seems like a new aluminum drive shaft would make a big difference, lets say it does weigh in 29 lbs less then stock, won't that save some gas as well as improve your 1/4 miles? Saves gas, frees up rotational mass which in turn makes acceleration faster and frees up some power. Plus They're stronger than the OEM

Rims,
Can you buy rims that weigh less to the point where there is a noticeable improvement in gas mileage and acceleration? Yes

Hood and Trunk,
Same question again, are you really only going to notice an improvement on the way to a better 1/4 mile or would a composite hood and trunk save enough weight to notice at the pump? On a day-to-day basis under normal circumstances, not really. The amount of weight you'd save on a CF trunk or hood wouldn't justify the $$.

Tune,
Seems to be plenty info here but if but I bring it up because it is clearly on the list of things that will get modded.

CAI
Same as tune, gonna get done.

So what else should be on the list?
CAI/Tune will be the most noticeable mod. Seems like you want to be fuel efficient, and to do that it all comes down to your driving.

Last edited by Alec; 01-03-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

+1 CAI/custom tune from a reputable company, such as American Muscle/Bama or Brenspeed.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:43 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

I see the appeal of a SC but I think I am a long way from parting with the money for that.

So lets say a Tune, CAI and good driving habits are a done deal, what next?

Now when it comes to lowering a Mustang I would suspect that your goal is to not just to drop a couple inches but to also tune the suspension for better handling and getting the power to the ground better. With a 3.7l what do you really need to focus on when lowering and tuning the suspension? Is there anything special about the 3.7 6ers?

I know there is a good long thread on suspension, it seemed liked the holy grail was to go straight to coil overs.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...les-today.html
Old 02-15-2012, 07:45 PM
WORKISSLOW
2nd Gear Member

Dollars per HP and ft/lbs

I am taking notes here on what bolts ons cost and penciling out the Cost per:

Throttle Body
BBK 1822 73mm TB--10 hp and 20 Ft/# --$400 ---$40 per HP / $20 per ft/#

CAI

Air Aid CAI --13 HP & 15 lb-ft --$270 --- $20 per HP / $18 per Ft/#

Steeda CAI --20hp and 30ft/lbs --$390 --- $19 per HP / $13 per ft/#

BBK 1778/17785 7.43 RWHP(8-10) ,14.36 RWT $300 -- $44 ($30) per hp / $23 per ft/#
The BBK is based on what they showed on the dyno for the most part, they claim up to 16 hp, I did not see a claim on torque, just hp.

Tuners

SCT/Bama Tuner --18 HP and 22 ft-lb's --$380 --- $21 per Hp / $17.3 per Ft/#

Last edited by WORKISSLOW; 02-16-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 PM
lilediselec

cai/tuner great to start with axle backs throw in a x with cats strut bar been great so far

Quick Reply: Best Spent Money? (Efficiency)