Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Is a car without warranty worth less?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:20 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Default Is a car without warranty worth less?

title states my question. i was googling the interwebs for about a half hour and i kept getting sites that didnt have my answer.

i keep getting close to buying a GT, so i keep holding off on my mods for my V6. but more and more it seems like im going to wait until the 2015 mustang or something.

i called my dealer and asked if installing aftermarket headers would void my warranty, he said yes they would. i already tuned my car, but i removed the tune and have been running 100% stock for almost 10,000 miles.

so here's the big question: if i just reinstall my mods and add some new mods, i'll void my engine warranty for sure, will this affect my trade in value?
Old 09-19-2012, 12:45 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I am confident if you traded in, whoever you deal with will put zero effort into researching if you've previously tuned the car or not. they might ask, but that will be the extent of it.

also .. you've already tuned it. the damage has been done. it doesn't matter how long you've driven it stock - they could still try to point the finger if you submitted a warranty claim.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

yeah, when i first tuned my car i was told by a 2008 mustang owner (friend) that the process could be reversed and no one would know. he didn't know that 2011+ mustangs had that different computer that would kick back the error code. i removed the tune, thinking that if i had any issues i could say that its been over 10,000 miles, so there is no way that that was the issue. i'm sure they'd find a way to still say no though.

and you're absolutely right. i looked at 2013 GT's twice now, and the salesmen made no effort to see if my mustang trade in had been tuned.. although the 2nd time, the salesman had a sheet that asked if the "emissions control" had ever been removed, or tampered with... i said no to that question and signed it, because i didn't think the tune was emissions related (i thought it was referencing the cat. converters or something). i figured i could play dumb if it came back on me.

but regardless, if i put the headers on, there's absolutely no hiding it. the warranty is gone. the salesman will no the instant he hears the car running. will this make the vehicle worth less? i figure it will, but hope it will only affect it marginally. the dealers really seem to love taking in V6's, and if i try to trade it in during like April or May, i feel like i should still get top dollar for it. does that seem right, or am I misguided in my thinking?
Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

btw, Entaille, i absolutely freaking love the suspension work on your GT... sweet jesus that looks nice. beautiful car!
Old 09-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Most dealers will tell you if the car they are selling has a factory warranty. They are on the hook for repairs themselves if they sell a car and claim it is still covered by the factory and it is not. I would not purchase a vehicle from anyone if I knew the factory warranty was void. I avoid buying cars that have been modified, it's hard to tell what condition they are in, and if the previous owner beat the car up on the track or street.
Some people like mods on a car and the extra performance, but I've never heard of mods helping a car sell for more money, they often reduce the amount of people interested and make the car a little harder to sell.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I think it would be 'worth less' more because it would be harder for them to sell. it takes a specific buyer to want a louder, more powerful mustang .. but I don't believe they would dock you because the warranty is now gone. when they take your trade in, they take responsibility for the car from then on. if they sold the car with headers and the person had issues, they would be on the hook for warranty work still, assuming it was in the agreement and he could prove they were on the car when he purchased it.

agreed, most mods make a car worth less. here is the answer you didn't want to hear: take your car back to stock before you sell/trade in. keep your stock parts, throw them back on later .. you can get some cash back out of your aftermarket parts by selling them privately, the dealership sure as hell isn't going to give you any value on them .. they'd prefer a stock car.

thank you for the compliment! feel free to PM if you'd like to discuss further. I have sold three modified cars now and it took up until the third one to learn to go all the way back to stock .. I could tell you about what i lost on the others, or how I had a nice down payment and mod money for the mustang because I cashed out on the mods on my last trade in .. : )
Old 09-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Shelby350Mike
2nd Gear Member

If you like the old 60's style Fastback Muscle Car look, don't wait for the 2015... They are completely revamping the car, the '13-'14 model will be the last true late 60's tribute in the Mustang World. Just pointing it out. (And the V8's will die in the 2015 model too)
Old 09-27-2012, 02:27 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Shelby350Mike
If you like the old 60's style Fastback Muscle Car look, don't wait for the 2015... They are completely revamping the car, the '13-'14 model will be the last true late 60's tribute in the Mustang World. Just pointing it out. (And the V8's will die in the 2015 model too)
yeah, i really dig the 60s style, but i don't mind european looks too much (if they mean better cornering).. are the V8's really going away with the mustang is redone?

regardless, i found the exact mustang i'm looking for, with factory installed 3.73 gears, sitting in columbus ohio. october 1st the rebates will likely increase (i've been watching this dealer's stock and they aren't selling ANY of their mustangs, and they got a bunch).

so i might go this weekend and see if they'll cut another $1,000 out of the price, and boost my trade since it's the end of the month. otherwise i'll wait and see what the rebate is on monday.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

No. There has been NO announcement that the v8 is going to be replaced.
That is bad information.

They have said NOTHING about doing away with the V8.
The new 4 cylinder is supposed to replace the V6.

This is because the performance will be very similar to the V6, the gas mileage will be better, and they want to reel in the European buyers.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-01-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
No. There has been NO announcement that the v8 is going to be replaced.
That is bad information.

They have said NOTHING about doing away with the V8.
The new 4 cylinder is supposed to replace the V6.

This is because the performance will be very similar to the V6, the gas mileage will be better, and they want to reel in the European buyers.
this is more consistent with what i've heard. i knew a 4 cylinder (gotta be an inline four right?) was coming in, twin turbo or something, but didn't realize it was replacing the v6. the only thing i've seen about the v8 was magazine editors saying that as long as the v8 sticks around the new mustang should still be successful/accepted by mustang enthusiasts.