Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

CAI by roush

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 AM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

This is great stuff!
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by armyjared
ah rex I know something they do.....Make the engine sound really awesome lol
Several independent dynos show that a JLT or Airaid CAI makes almost as much as a tune. Together they make a couple extra hp but smooth out the power curve to some extent. Even Bama admitted this in the forums and in a YouTube video.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Several independent dynos show that a JLT or Airaid CAI makes almost as much as a tune. Together they make a couple extra hp but smooth out the power curve to some extent. Even Bama admitted this in the forums and in a YouTube video.
I'd like to see the proof that a no-tune aftermarket intake install made as much power as a tune with stock intake.. Please direct to a website or a dyno graph where someone dyno'd there car with just an intake and no tune..
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Here you go my friend:
Three variables are creating more power for this motor in this combination: intake, 93 octane and the tune. Switching from 87 to 93 octane gives you 6-8hp just by itself since the motor uses the exact technology as the 5.0. Ford engineers discussed that when the 3.7 first came out in MMFF magazine.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:34 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by armyjared
ah rex I know something they do.....Make the engine sound really awesome lol
You are right about making it sound better. Love to tone it gives. Alot deeper
Expensive "sound" upgrade. Haha
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM
runninpony6
2nd Gear Member

Install went well. Roush cai is well made. Also am going with the 93octane. Seems to have given me that little push @ 2500/3000 i felt it needed. Thanks for all your imput.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:59 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

hogasswild,

This is a great technical video to watch for non-bias facts. I know it's a little long and drawn out, but it really shows exactly what you're getting with a CAI and factory tune. Although, it's surprising to some people, you really do pick some power up (especially down low) from an aftermarket CAI and stock tune. Thanks for posting this and showing these factual results!

Shane
Old 10-12-2012, 02:49 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Roush is made by AirAid but you pay dearly for the Roush name..
Shoulda got the cheaper AirAid CAI as it came out of the same roto-mold...
Old 10-13-2012, 08:00 AM
hogasswild
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
hogasswild,

This is a great technical video to watch for non-bias facts. I know it's a little long and drawn out, but it really shows exactly what you're getting with a CAI and factory tune. Although, it's surprising to some people, you really do pick some power up (especially down low) from an aftermarket CAI and stock tune. Thanks for posting this and showing these factual results!

Shane
While there isn't much difference in the tune and CAI combo in regard to peak power, you actually get a smoother powerband, more constant a/f and responsiveness. I got the CAI first and wasn't expecting a big difference with a tune but the car seems to run better than stock when you put the two mods together.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 AM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hogasswild
Here you go my friend:
Three variables are creating more power for this motor in this combination: intake, 93 octane and the tune. Switching from 87 to 93 octane gives you 6-8hp just by itself since the motor uses the exact technology as the 5.0. Ford engineers discussed that when the 3.7 first came out in MMFF magazine.
Touche.. I stand corrected but I'm still very skeptical.. Everything I've seen does not work out very well...

Quick Reply: CAI by roush