Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

'14 V6 Base vs. '08 Pony Package vs. '15

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Default '14 V6 Base vs. '08 Pony Package vs. '15

I sold my 2008 Pony a year and a half ago and have been regretting it for quite some time...the 2012 VW Passat just isn't doing it for me. (I am getting asked if I qualify for the senior discount at the grocery checkout...the cashier must have seen me pull up in my VW....no offense to other VW owners.)

I am considering a new '14 V6 base model with manual transmission. Yeah, I would love a GT but don't want to spend the money and I was happy with the quickness of my '08 pony package V6.

I think I can get a '14 base V6 for around $19K. I saw the spy pics of the 2015 and I tend to prefer the more retro muscle look. (Yes, I do agree the GT looks even better...but again, the price is a factor for me.)

So...any '14 owners out there that are not happy with their purchase? Any advice to a prospective '14 owner?

Is the increase HP on a '14 base noticeably different than what I was used to with my stock '08 V6 Pony?

Thanks
Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Csrt4to5.0gt
2nd Gear Member

The 3.7 in the V6 puts the performance within earshot of the '05-'09 gt so I'd say there's a noticeable difference between the two. For a few $$$ more you can get a base track pack and run circles around your old ponie all day, too. I'd say why wait for the '15??? Nows the time to buy. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Jande063
1st Gear Member

I have a 2014 base with the manual, and I absolutely love it. I would not recommend the performance package if you are planning on doing any racing(i.e. autocross, HPDE, track days) since you will just end up replacing all of those parts(the performance package is still under-sprung, under-damped, the sway bars are are also incorrect, the wheels and tires are nice, but you can find a set of gt brembo take offs for a very reasonable price that are 9 inches wide on all four as opposed to the V6 performance wheels which are 8.5 inch on all four). In my opinion, the best part of that package would be the 3.31 rear gears(which you can get as a factory option for a low price).
Old 10-22-2013, 01:56 PM
JayBeStangs94
3rd Gear Member

I love my 13. its the v6 performance package with 3.31 gears. I also have a cai and tune and she flys. this new 15 v6 is suppost to have a econ turbo on specific models so id wait for that.. i could definitely use more power.. but i should be grateful for what i have. and without having to worry about insurance robbing me on a 5.0, i couldn't be happier!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:17 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the good input.

A local dealer quoted me $22,900 out the door for a V6 base with the equipment package (102A)....this car does not include a satellite radio which I've become accustomed to. Window sticker indicates "Sat Capabl" so this total price...includes the $525 to add a Sirius satellite radio. I am not sure how that works, how does a dealer add Sirius to a factory radio...would they be pulling the factory radio or is this something they do under the dash since the factory radio is satellite capable?

This 102A package includes, the below. I can probably stream a Sirius internet subscription instead of paying the $525 extra for the satellite radio. Anybody have experience with this?

Equipment Group 102A – Tech Package includes Ford SYNC® voice-activated, in-vehicle connectivity system; steering wheel-mounted audio controls; 6-way power driver’s seat; auto-dimming rearview mirror; and LED fog lamps

I think the price is decent, I could probably do a little better. I am really tempted.

Should this post be on a different section?

Last edited by 08 Pony Package; 10-22-2013 at 07:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-22-2013, 09:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I have no personal experience with the 3.7L but have been told on countless occasions that the power is all in the upper RPM ranges. But if you were happy with the 4.0 then you should be as happy or happier with the 3.7, providing your not expecting huge gains under "normal" acceleration.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:54 PM
MustangInTexas
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08 Pony Package
thanks for the good input.

A local dealer quoted me $22,900 out the door for a V6 base with the equipment package (102A)....this car does not include a satellite radio which I've become accustomed to. Window sticker indicates "Sat Capabl" so this total price...includes the $525 to add a Sirius satellite radio. I am not sure how that works, how does a dealer add Sirius to a factory radio...would they be pulling the factory radio or is this something they do under the dash since the factory radio is satellite capable?

This 102A package includes, the below. I can probably stream a Sirius internet subscription instead of paying the $525 extra for the satellite radio. Anybody have experience with this?

Equipment Group 102A – Tech Package includes Ford SYNC® voice-activated, in-vehicle connectivity system; steering wheel-mounted audio controls; 6-way power driver’s seat; auto-dimming rearview mirror; and LED fog lamps

I think the price is decent, I could probably do a little better. I am really tempted.

Should this post be on a different section?
That's the car I have - in a '13. The sync, fogs, auto-dimming mirror and power seats are nice additions. No sync would have been a deal breaker for me, I wanted the hands free phone. The car moves really well and I've learned that turning off TC makes it much more fun to drive.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Mike1Six

3.7 rox, but let me tell you why I'm falling out of love with it. Auto-tranny to satisfy the wife on a new car. My first automatic and it will be my last. It feels almost criminal to drive this car with an auto. Sport shift just doesn't do it for me. Hopefully after the gears ill be able to roast some tires.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Mike1Six

And since you guys are comparing prices I paid 24k in may on a premium w AT.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:53 PM
08 Pony Package
2nd Gear Member

Manual transmission, must have....I agree.

I emailed the salesman today to ask about the stock Sat Capable radio and the $525 option .....he hasn't replied yet, maybe he is off today. I suppose they will have to add a satellite radio antenna. I may just forego the satellite radio all together....the subscription has gotten a bit pricey anyways.

Yes...if I was happy with the pep in my 08 pony....my guess is the '14 V6 base (with manual tranny) will suit me just fine.

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: '14 V6 Base vs. '08 Pony Package vs. '15