Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

New to this

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Myfirststang91

Talking New to this

Ok guys I bought my first mustang! I have a 2014 3.7l with at and 2.73 gears. I want to add an air raid cai, sct tuner with mpt tunes, a muffler delete, a 1 piece driveshaft and some 3.73 or maybe 4.10 gears. This will be my first time building a car up but these are the mods I want to make in the near future. Any info on what path i should take (build order) would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 12-11-2017, 07:30 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't waste any money on the CAT/tunes and especially the one piece driveshaft. Why the driveshaft? Not enough horsepower or top speed to warrant the need. I haven't done the math, I'm sure someone will, but going from 2.73 to 4.10 will have you going down the freeway wide open throttle at 70 mph. Again, why? A CAT with a tune will get you a little boost, probably most notable in throttle response. No muffler will be just loud for no reason. It will never sound like a V8.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Myfirststang91

Originally Posted by proeagles
I wouldn't waste any money on the CAT/tunes and especially the one piece driveshaft. Why the driveshaft? Not enough horsepower or top speed to warrant the need. I haven't done the math, I'm sure someone will, but going from 2.73 to 4.10 will have you going down the freeway wide open throttle at 70 mph. Again, why? A CAT with a tune will get you a little boost, probably most notable in throttle response. No muffler will be just loud for no reason. It will never sound like a V8.
Like I said earlier I am new to this. I will explain though. I want the tuner to get rid of the rev limiter, 3.73 gears are my pick over the 4.10s , and the reason I want the gears would be to raise my 0-60 and 1/4 times. I want the driveshaft because the two piece is faulty at higher speeds ( speeds I wont be going) but wouldn't it also fail with enough torque? I want to do the muffler delete simply because I like the sound. But to be honest i will most likely remove the cats when I do the muffler delete anyway. I will also say i forgot to mention I want a bbk throttle body and spacer in the near future. Much later down the road i would like to add 90lb injectors, some lt headers and possible an off-road x pipe. I am new to this like I've stated so I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:39 PM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Myfirststang91
Like I said earlier I am new to this. I will explain though. I want the tuner to get rid of the rev limiter,
I would get the tune after getting a CAI that requires one

3.73 gears are my pick over the 4.10s , and the reason I want the gears would be to raise my 0-60 and 1/4 times.
Personally I would do the 3:73 if you are still going to drive it. If you go with 4:10's you will be able to go more than 70mph.

I want the driveshaft because the two piece is faulty at higher speeds ( speeds I wont be going) but wouldn't it also fail with enough torque?
Getting a better driveshaft will reduce weight (that robs HP) and make the car safer

I want to do the muffler delete simply because I like the sound. But to be honest i will most likely remove the cats when I do the muffler delete anyway.
I wouldn't do either unless it is completely off road. every car I have heard without mufflers sounds like ****. There are good exhaust setups that greatly improve the sound. As far as the cats I would get a set of high flow cats instead of deleting them, not sure if your state has emission inspections or not if so you will fail. Keep in mind that you can be fined $2500 for not having cats [/QUOTE].

I will also say i forgot to mention I want a bbk throttle body and spacer in the near future. Much later down the road i would like to add 90lb injectors, some lt headers and possible an off-road x pipe. I am new to this like I've stated so I'm looking to be pointed in the right direction.
Do not bother with the BBK throttle and spacer it is not worth the money or issues., Not sure what the injectors will do for you. Headers and X-Pipe will help.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Myfirststang91

Originally Posted by JJHoover
I would get the tune after getting a CAI that requires one

Personally I would do the 3:73 if you are still going to drive it. If you go with 4:10's you will be able to go more than 70mph.

Getting a better driveshaft will reduce weight (that robs HP) and make the car safer

I wouldn't do either unless it is completely off road. every car I have heard without mufflers sounds like ****. There are good exhaust setups that greatly improve the sound. As far as the cats I would get a set of high flow cats instead of deleting them, not sure if your state has emission inspections or not if so you will fail. Keep in mind that you can be fined $2500 for not having cats

Do not bother with the BBK throttle and spacer it is not worth the money or issues., Not sure what the injectors will do for you. Headers and X-Pipe will help.[/QUOTE]
what would you suggest i get and in what order? Just curious.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:07 AM
JJHoover
2nd Gear Member

depending on your budget I would either do the CAI + tune or do a gear swap, if your budget allows do both at the same time. I believe those will be where you get most of your bang for the buck performance wise.

If you have issues with how the car sounds then I would look at exhaust options, just remember no matter what you do you will not get it to sound like a V8 so don't even try. here are some options and there are a few with sound clips, you can also look on you tube. https://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-....html#shop-by1
Old 12-12-2017, 06:24 AM
JimC

On the 3.7 the CAI is really more for underhood "bling". The stock air box is already a cold air intake and flows well. A CAI simply looks different and may add some noise because you can hear it since it isn't a sealed unit like the stock air box.

And throttle body spacer? Doesn't do a thing on a fuel injected car. This isn't like a carburetor where the air and fuel are mixed before entering the cylinder. Think about it, if a 1/2" move of the throttle body made a difference, why not put a 6" one on and REALLY make a difference. Despite the hype from the sellers, they don't do a thing for you.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:27 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

A throttle body spacer does nothing.
A cold air intake does nothing. I have one only for looks
A tune is worth the price. My automatic with 3.31 gears went from 6.1-6.2 for the 0 to 60 down to 5.7-5.8 seconds.
Headers are worth the price. I got long tubes and my 0 to 60 times went down to an average of 5.3-5.4 seconds.
Gears are worth the price. I went from 3.31 to 3.73. I can't get a good 0 to 60 time but I have recorded one of 5.1 seconds but had tire spin until almost 45 mph . I'm sure with drag radials I would be in the high 4's.
I've added an aluminum driveshaft, just for peace of mind

Adding these things can add up fast . But I think they are worth it
Old 12-12-2017, 06:31 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

Sorry Jim, we were typing the same time