Notices
3.7L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about the new engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

What in the world is the antifreeze problem ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:15 PM
RavenWind14

Question What in the world is the antifreeze problem ???

Hello guys,

I have a 2014 Mustang V6 with 25500 miles. When winter began, I noticed that the heater was blowing cold air for a long time even after the engine heated up. The it would sometimes blow some hot air but always became cold again soon. I checked the coolant reservoir and found that it had maybe about an inch or slightly less of antifreeze left. I topped it off with Prestone 50/50 about five days ago and the heater proceeded to blow super hot air as usual. This morning I checked the reservoir again and the antifreeze was a little low, less than an inch below the full old area, so I topped it off again. I have done some research online and cannot find any signs of where it might be leaking.

The engine temp gauge behaves normally, rising to the usual point in the same amount of time.
The garage floor beneath the car is completely dry.
No dry-socks smell as far as I can tell.
No wet carpet on passenger side.
It is 20 degrees here this morning, so if I start the car to see if there is any white exhaust, how can it tell the difference between that and just the exhaust being like that from the cold weather?
I still have the powertrain warranty for almost 2 more years. Would any of the likely culprits be likely to be covered by it?
Is it OK to keep driving the car in the short term if I keep the reservoir full of antifreeze?
Any comments you might think of would be greatly
Old 12-27-2017, 12:17 PM
RavenWind14

On the fourth line I meant "the full COLD area..."
Old 12-27-2017, 01:16 PM
hussy316

I had the exact same problem with my 2012 V6 Mustang. absolutely no leaks or signs of leakage but the antifreeze level kept decreasing. I also tried a pressure test to check if there were any pin hole leaks anywhere. If you wish to do this you could rent the kit from ORiley's.
My problem was resolved I realized that I was not waiting long enough on cold mornings for the antifreeze temperature to rise to normal working temperatures before starting the heater which caused the antifreeze level to drop. Not quite sure how it all happens but since 1 week I have just waited patiently till the antifreeze temperature reaches at least 1/2 way between center and the cold mark before starting the heater.
You could also check out the below thread if that helps
https://mustangforums.com/forum/3-7l...e-leaking.html
Old 12-27-2017, 07:18 PM
RavenWind14

Thanks, hussy316, I'll try that out and see if it helps.