351 Mustang

408W buildup.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:08 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default 408W buildup.

Another 408 thread.

Well im tossing around idea's of putting a 408W in my car, just wondering about the head selections mainly. I was thinking a set of AFR 185's would work fine with about 450-500hp NA. This is going to have around a .600+ lift cam and about 10.5:1 compression and run a maximum of about 6,500. Im just going to do a run down of what i was thinking, you guys can just edit what you think would be a bad decision.

Thanks.
vintage 351W block, 69' to be specific, i already have the block.

AFR 185's

Vic Jr intake extrude honed (only reason im honing it is because i can do it at work for free.)

Kooks 1 3/4 full length headers.

Demon 750 carb with a 1" spacer.

Speed-o-motive 408W stroker kit. (kit includes a high nodular iron, reworked 400M crank, Manley H beam rods, and i believe JE forged pistons and of course all your bearings, rings, etc. )

ARP everything in the engine, head studs, main cap studs, Wav loc rod bolts, etc.

a custom cam from Comp or Crane which would depend on my setup.

But this engine is going to be raced frequently, this will be the third engine ive built and put in my car. The previous two 302's, they're pretty wicked little motors when put together right, but i just want more power. I recently took my current combo down to Atlanta dragway and turned a 11.55 @123mph. So its moving, but with the 150pills and the 302 winding to about 6,800rpm,i just want something a little more less dependent on nitrous or completley off the bottle, refills are killing me. I tossed around ideas of a 302 stroker, but in my mind a stock displacement 351Wswapwould be about the same thing and probably cheaper than doing a 347. So then i added up the cost of rebuilding the stock rotating assembly with all the machining costs, etc. then i just came to the conclusion of just a stroker kit for a few hundred more bucks.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:21 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: 408W buildup.

heads look a bit small in my opinion, if you want to make real power get 225cc, with the super victor intake
Old 07-04-2007, 04:40 AM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Another 408 thread.

Well im tossing around idea's of putting a 408W in my car, just wondering about the head selections mainly. I was thinking a set of AFR 185's would work fine with about 450-500hp NA. This is going to have around a .600+ lift cam and about 10.5:1 compression and run a maximum of about 6,500. Im just going to do a run down of what i was thinking, you guys can just edit what you think would be a bad decision.

Thanks.

AFR 185's

Vic Jr intake extrude honed (only reason im honing it is because i can do it at work for free.)

Speed-o-motive 408W stroker kit. (kit includes a high nodular iron, reworked 400M crank, Manley H beam rods, and i believe JE forged pistons and of course all your bearings, rings, etc. )

ARP everything in the engine, head studs, main cap studs, Wav loc rod bolts, etc.

But this engine is going to be raced frequently, this will be the third engine ive built and put in my car. The previous two 302's, they're pretty wicked little motors when put together right, but i just want more power. I recently took my current combo down to Atlanta dragway and turned a 11.55 @123mph. So its moving, but with the 150pills and the 302 winding to about 6,800rpm,i just want something a little more less dependent on nitrous or completley off the bottle, refills are killing me. I tossed around ideas of a 302 stroker, but in my mind a stock displacement 351Wswapwould be about the same thing and probably cheaper than doing a 347. So then i added up the cost of rebuilding the stock rotating assembly with all the machining costs, etc. then i just came to the conclusion of just a stroker kit for a few hundred more bucks.

i hate you!! just playing

also the vic jr should be fine for what you wanting to do but the heads are too small. definitely need a 200+cc head
Old 07-04-2007, 01:23 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

huh, thats a thought. I just didn't know if i had enough cubic inches there tohuff the air through some huge 225's because im only running this engine up to 6,500 so i don't want it to be a dog below like 3,400-4,000.

But do you guys think that this motor would take me into the 10's on motor, i would certainly think so since the little mild 302's would bust off 11's low 12's on motor.

Well, ill give that thought. Im selling my last two engines to help get this one off the ground. Parting them out or whatever. The first one is just a stock short block with a F cam, 71' 302 heads fully ported, 2.02/1.60 stainless valves BBK headers, full 5.0 EFI setup, FRPP 24# injectors, a professional products intake extrude honed lower and upper, BBK 75mm TB, Crane cams stud mounted roller rockers. That motor made about 300 to the wheels.

My current 302 is a 69' truck block, with the football truck rods. stock crank. Trick Flow twisted wedge heads. BBk shorties, Edelbrock torker II intake with a Holley 600cfm carb with a 1" spacer, all ARP in the engine, w/ head studs. And a compcustom cam with.556/.570 236/238 @ .50This motor i spent some money on. But on motor i went 11.98 in the 1/4 and 11.55 on a 150shot that wouldn.t let my tires hook up. I would imagine i coulda went low 11's on with that if it would have hooked up.

I would sell this stuff over the net but i just hate going to the post office.[:-]

Old 07-04-2007, 02:28 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

*sighs*

if you REALLY want to build horsepower....

stop f*cking around and go to www.CHIHEADS.com and buy a set of "3v" heads and a matching intake.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:53 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

stang it will definitely have enough cubes. i was looking at put some TEA 225's on my 393 build
Old 07-05-2007, 05:45 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

185's would be like putting 4.2L heads on a 347...

get something ~215-225

Old 07-06-2007, 07:09 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

CNC Victors. Or CNC TFS R's. Other than that your build dounds good. **** on 3v heads, old school ftw!
Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Arrid Extra Dry
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Another 408 thread.

Thanks.

AFR 185's

everything sounds like its going to match up ok, except the pos barry "granny" carb.
in my opinion, if you dont have anymore than 10.5.1 compression 185s should work better, than bigger heads.
i dont care what anyone says, i know, ive been through all that.
you can put too big of heads on an engine and a monster cam, and it wont fart,,.you have to match everything up!!!!
if you go a little too small it wont hurt it as bad. as going way too big.
you have to match everything up right or it wont run right, compression, heads, converter, gears, etc., but if you dont have the hp and torque to begin with, its not going to run what ever you do.
alot of people just throw money at thier car thinking its going to run faster and it dont.

http://www.ohiocrank.com/home.html
check out the short blocks fromhere, you can buy one cheaper than you can build one,, good parts too, not the cheap bs, and no grinding on the blocks, allready put together. just bolt your stuff on it and go.if you want, you can send them your cam and they can degree it in for you, and even put the oil pan on it, for a little extra.
and i always recomend using a quick fuel carb. but that is just my opinion so... good luck!!!!
http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/home_2.htm

http://www.ptcrace.com/
and theres aplace to get a good converter, if you or anyone else needs one

but im not a know it all, no one is, im just giving you my opinion.
you are doing the right thing building a 351 block instead of wasting your time and more money on a 302.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:34 AM
Atencio

I think the carb is too small as well. My buddy is running an 850 with a homemade intake on his 408W. His 67 Mustang will run easy low 10's all day in the Super Pro brackets he runs in.

He is building me a 351W for my Saleen using an old 351W marine block. I was toying with the idea of stroking it but felt there was no reason to as I have to limit how fast my car will run. I may toy around with piston and rod size a wee bit but probably will stay in the .30 over range.

Quick Reply: 408W buildup.