351 Mustang

friends dont listen

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
v6stang8
2nd Gear Member

Default friends dont listen

well ill get straight to the point my boy fluff is putting a 351 in his 97 stang, the motor is in and bolted up but the oil pan hit the k member and the back of the motor hits the brake booster the car is wired up but will not start. i have tryed telling him he will need a few more things to get to run but he just will not listen to me, and he is using the v6 5spd tranny beleave it or not the bell housing did bolt up the 351 he just had to drill out the flywhell a 16 or a inch. he is also keeping the stock 7.5 rearend. he does need to the manual brake convertion cause his motor is carbed, and the bbk headers hit the steering shaft. so what all esle will he need to make this right besides the v8 k member???
Old 08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
86stanglx
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: friends dont listen

waht kind of fuel pump does he have running it? the 1st time he gets into it it will break.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: v6stang8

well ill get straight to the point my boy fluff is putting a 351 in his 97 stang, the motor is in and bolted up but the oil pan hit the k member and the back of the motor hits the brake booster the car is wired up but will not start. i have tryed telling him he will need a few more things to get to run but he just will not listen to me, and he is using the v6 5spd tranny beleave it or not the bell housing did bolt up the 351 he just had to drill out the flywhell a 16 or a inch. he is also keeping the stock 7.5 rearend. he does need to the manual brake convertion cause his motor is carbed, and the bbk headers hit the steering shaft. so what all esle will he need to make this right besides the v8 k member???
thats asking for trouble...

the 3.8l V6 did not use the same balance flywheel as the 351w motors did.... it will never be right, and your gonna have a horrible vibration
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

how hard is that car to stop with the manual brakes? i hear you need alot of aftermarket upgrades to even be willing to do the conversion.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:00 AM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

The K-member is one issue. The flywheel will not work. The bellhousing will not work. The V6 flywheel is too large for theV8 bellhousing. The starter position is different. He has a world of issues ahead of him with the swap. He obviously is in over his head.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

i will testify to all the **** you have to do, he will break his rear end as soon as it does start and he gets on it, his flywheel situation is ****ed the tranny wont handle that torque for long and the steering shaftsituation is bad news also.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:57 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

If he doesn't want to change his K-member he can buy a $275 set of motor mounts. Saleen used them for their cars. The mounts fix the steering shaft problem and the brake booster problem. Just from your post he needs to read up on the swap. Manula brakes are ok if you have skinnies up front. Otherwise it sucks driving in town. The manual brake conversion for the 94 up cars is expensive. Usually around $500 or more. You can not use the fox body kit either.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:25 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

www.sorscode.com for swap info
Old 08-17-2007, 08:40 PM
v6stang8
2nd Gear Member

i told him to get on here and ask if he didnt know but he is one of those back woods rednecks that thinks he knows it all. and for the bell housing i dont know if he cut it to or what but it bolt up to he 5.8 block. i tryed telling him that as soon as he gets on it the tranny was ****ed and so what the rearend, ill make sure to get a video of him trying to beat on it. his newest remark to day was he is gonna put nos in it, the kit came in the mail to day, and how does he solve the problem of not being able to stop, i mean he can use the brake booster cause he done have enuff presurre from the motor doue to it being a carb and all right
Old 08-17-2007, 08:50 PM
v6stang8
2nd Gear Member

just for ****s and giggles what would it take to put a carbed 460 in my 97 stang, i have to 73's with c-6 behid them at my shop

Quick Reply: friends dont listen