Default RE: 408 TT

you're 17.....you dont have $30,000
Old 05-12-2008, 11:50 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ~Mustang~

I plan on geting a dart 351 and strokeing it to a 408
im pretty much looking for guidance on what parts are the best (heads,turbos,cams,stroker kits)
im kinda looking for a list of parts and componys on everything i need to make this thing an absolute beast.

thanks, Ant

NA, it's pretty easy to make 550-600hp with a Dart engine. Don't need anything custom made. To get to the 1K mark with FI, you still don't need anything truly custom made. But off the shelf parts probably won't cut it. For that much power, you have to flow a lot of air. Everything has to be big - intake, heads, exhaust.

The Dart block is made with plenty of beef in the cylinder walls. A 4.125" bore gives you plenty of strength. But you can go up to 4.185. If you want to spin a lot of rpm's keep the stroke short, like 4". If you're going to kep the rpm's down below 6,500, you can increase the stroke to 4.250.

With those numbers in mind, your minimum displacement is really 427 cubes. Maximum is 468. www.dartheads.com

Of course, you'de want the best all forged rotating assembly you can get. Lookat the Eagle catalog. www.eaglerods.com

Heads will be a big deal. Spring for a set of race prepped heads from Canfield, Yates, Blue Thunder, etc.

Camshaft could either be hydraulic or solid, depending on the rest of your combo, and your use goals. But I would probably use a custom made cam from somebody like Ed Curtis www.flowtechinduction.com

Intake should be EFI. Lots of good choices there. You'll want a port matched intake manifold, and a throttle body that flows in the 1500-1800cfm range. One of the new wide band closed loop EFI computers that integrates crank trigger ignition will be the easiest to tune and keep the engine safe at those power levels.

You won't find an off the shelf turbo system that big. Those are custom made parts. Either pay a well known builder like Banks Engineering to do it for you, or break out the welder. This will costabout as much as the rest of the engine.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:39 PM
~Mustang~
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

i know but im sick of consistently getting snotty useless remarks that ppl try to pass as useful answers and for all you know i could have millions to my name you honestly have no clue
Old 05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
~Mustang~
1st Gear Member

and yes im a very good welder

thanks allot r.barn and .boB i really do appreciate it
Old 05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ~Mustang~

ORIGINAL: 89Ford

i know but im sick of consistently getting snotty useless remarks that ppl try to pass as useful answers and for all you know i could have millions to my name you honestly have no clue
Im tired of dumb kids wasting other peoples' time with posts like yours. You don't even know what you are talking about, go pick up some books and read. The answer to all your questions should have been for you to first go read a book then come back with the questions. I've read your other posts and clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

And if you had the kind of money to take on a build like this you still wouldnt know how.

If you have the money for it, why in previous post you are looking for cheap mods? I think you have 2-3 threads with the same theme of cheap mods.

and honestly some people might think I am being a dick, but seriously the best advice you are going to get is what I told you. GO READ SOME BOOKS!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Fox351
1st Gear Member

On one hand I agree with 89Ford...but on the other I don't want to smash the dreams of the up and coming hot rod guys....This may be a dream build he has planned out for the next 20yrs <------My personal estimate of investment of time and money. I agree that he should educate himself more than waiting on someone else to do it for him...but I also believe that there is no harm in asking. Just my opinion ..... I could be wrong.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

>> Im tired of dumb kids wasting other peoples' time with posts like yours. <<

If it's such a big waste of your time, why are you still posting? If you don't want to play along, then don't. That's your choice. Just move on to another thread.

Yes, it's a fantasy thread, started by someone who knows less than you and me about Ford engines. And.....? Your point is....? Gotto start some where.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
~Mustang~
1st Gear Member

thanks .boB
and yes they are feauture plans
ive been working on cars all my life and i know diesels like the back of my hand im just trying to learn more about performance gas engines
so excuse me for asking questions but i thought thats what this forum was for
im not asking anyone to "waste their time"
Old 06-04-2008, 11:08 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

This is a pipe dream but I'll play along. Since funds aren't an issue and you have no clue what you're doing to actually pull this off on your own, buy a Bennett longblock and have BG do the turbo kit.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:47 AM
woodsy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto

This is a pipe dream but I'll play along. Since funds aren't an issue and you have no clue what you're doing to actually pull this off on your own, buy a Bennett longblock and have BG do the turbo kit.
lol, johnyyyyyyyyyy

Quick Reply: 408 TT