351 Mustang

oil spitting out???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 07:34 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

Default oil spitting out???

I have a 351 that according to the casting #'s (E9AE-6015-AA-14) was told was a '79 block.

I have a problem with oil wanting to sputter out from what appears to be the head gasket. The higher the RPM's the more oil spit's out onto the headers.

I went through and changed both head gaskets to the Fel-Pro perma torque's. Put everything back together and torqued heads to 110# on the inside bolts (inside valve cover) and 100# on the outer bolt's (by the spark plugs) as to Edlebrock spec's. I did it in 4 or 5 steps in the correct order to. I am still having this problem after just firing it back up. The head was milled prior to re-installing and I checked the block with a straight edge and feeler gauges and it seemed fine.

Any ideas why this is happening??????????
Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 PM
farseek1
1st Gear Member

Default RE: oil spitting out???

Check your valve clearance after milling?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:44 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Strange did you use a PVC? how old the the rings is it major blow bye.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:47 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: farseek1

Check your valve clearance after milling?

That I did not do because shop said it wasnt hardly touched and looked fine when I brought it in. I just did it as a precaution. Didnt want to change head gasket and it was all due to a warpped head and have to do it all over again. it was doing the exact same thing before I changed the head gasket in the exact same spot. I have no other problems anywhere on either side of the motor. It only appears to be coming out right around the #5&6 cylinders.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

Its an 89 block. You should take the block and have the deck checked. With the heads being milled before install that is the only thing left.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:53 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: S351R13

Its an 89 block. You should take the block and have the deck checked. With the heads being milled before install that is the only thing left.

I tried to decode the block online, but I had no such luck. Dealer told me the E9 meant '79..... How he figured that out I dont know. However all the head gaskets are the same correct?? even back to a '79

One thing I did notice though was the gasket obviously has two sides and one end is stamped "front". I placed it on there the only way it could go with the stamp at the front of the motor. However the metal rings around the cylinder openings are different from one side to the other. My question is, the metal rings that look beefier in theory would go on the block side correct? If this is true, then it goes against the stamp that says "front" which would now be on the rear of the block on the drivers side. Someone else told me that from what they thought, is that the side with the heavier looking rings is supposed to go against the block......

Now that I ran that around in circles, lol. I will get a pic. tonight to show what I mean and it may make a little more sense.

If the block is just ever so slightly off, would using a thicker head gasket cure it or no. Like I said, I used the .0015 feeler gauge and a straight edge and I couldnt slide it under it on that side of the block, but I guess that may or may not mean anything.

And yes I am running a PVC valve on one side and breather on the other..... And yes I tried to swap sides to see what would happen.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Indy
1st Gear Member

That's pretty weird! Typically if a head gasket isn't seated correctly or blown, you would have coolant spitting out or into the cylinders. But oil? If you haven't already done so... A compression test will tell all. You can determine if it's the head gasket or blow-by. Have you pulled spark plugs out to see if they are also caked in oil? Is that oil for sure comming from the head gasket? Or is it flying out of the sparkplug holes. I've seen engines with enough oil blow-by to actually have engine oil seep out through the threadsof the sparkplug hole. When it's running, is it burning crazy oil too?

Indy
Old 06-18-2008, 07:50 PM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

The E9 does stand for 89. The headgaskets are supposed to be installed with the front to the front. It doesn't matter how they look or the differences. You alwys put the end marked front to the front. It doesn't matter what side it is on. Otherwise you will have issues with coolant. A thicker head gasket won't fix your issue. The only real way to fix the problem is to pull the motor and take the block and have it checked. With that being said what Indy posted above is nother possible issue. If it is that then you have to pull the motor anyway.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:50 PM
tazman03
1st Gear Member

sorry it took me a bit to get back. I talked to someone else about the gasket marked "front" and they said the same thing. I guess ford does that on all their motors. Just seemed really weird to be putting one on upside down. I am really thinking the rings are bad in those two cylinders. That is really the only plausable place to be getting oil in that area. I checked the block again and that thing is straight. The thing was still new when I got it. The head has one small spot in it that is questionable if it true to the world or not. The plugs are dry other than the fact it was runing a little rich so they do look sooty but wipes right off. I know it's oil. I used a white peice of card board and held it up there to see where the sputter is coming from and what color it was.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:36 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

S351R13 is right... E9 refers to 1989

sorta like the stock E7 heads (that were casted in 1987)
and how the first 351w block was the C9 bock ('69) which had the 9.480" deck height
and my old D1 ('71) 351w block

C=60's
D=70's
E=80's
F=90's

Quick Reply: oil spitting out???