351 Mustang

351 build

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:09 AM
silentvoice19
2nd Gear Member

Default 351 build

Well guys go and pick up my 351w tomarrow ill put pics up. Guys........i have my work cut out for me its been sitting for about 15 years over 3/4 of my life lol. SHes not in good condition but for 150 bucks its fine by me.Like i said ill post piics tomarrow night of the motor and my tear down should be a fun build please come and check this thread often i hope to maby help people. Ive got a good cheap build list for anyone wanting to build a 351 for about half the cost.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:30 AM
mwood

Default RE: 351 build

Stroking it to a 408? Carb or EFI?

PS, please share machine work cost. I'm going with a DSS 351 block because I figure I can't beat 725 for a block ready to go.

Mod,why are my single quotes showing up as double?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:45 AM
silentvoice19
2nd Gear Member

im goin carb.Ill try and avoid machine work cost but ill get quotes for a in the ball park figure ok bud?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
mwood

How can you avoid machine cost? I've been told not to skip the machine work. I had an opportunity at a good block that I passed over because I assumed at least 500-600 in machine work. Puts me in the ballpark of the blockfrom dss.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:02 PM
silentvoice19
2nd Gear Member

well im gonna try ans save what i can if i dont need machine work in sertain areas im not gonna do it. See my machinest is a good friend and a vert smart person and he tells me what i need and i dont need so i dont pay for any stupid BS.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 AM
OhioMachIRunner69
2nd Gear Member

The best thing you can do is do the disassembly yourself and then take the block to a qualified machine shop to have it looked over. They will be able to tell you what you need and what you dont. It is worth taking it just to have the block cleaned and magnifluxed. At the very best the cylinder bores will only need honed, but they will most likely need bored as well. Have them check the deck for flatness and also check the line hone. It is also well worth it to have them install the cam bearings, freeze plugs and oil galley plugs; my shop charged me $45 bucks to do that...I could hardly buy the parts for that.

My shop charged me;

$60 to hot tank block
$160 to bore/hone cylinders
$45 for cam bearing/freeze plugs/oil galley plugs
$225 to balance rotating assembly
$70 for final cleaning

If you need new rods I suggest just getting aftermarket rods...it will cost you just as much to have an old set reconditioned and new ARP rod bolts installed as it costs to buy stronger aftermarket rods.

Getting the proper machine work done is the most important part of a rebuild; dont skimp on it.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:38 AM
silentvoice19
2nd Gear Member

ok well intresting info its not from a 82 bronco lol its a early 70's motor i have some pics ill try and gut up here soon.What cars did the 351 come in that year and is there any difference in the motors besides the mains getting thinner in the later years?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:26 AM
silentvoice19
2nd Gear Member

the car its goin in. its also getting a dark maroon pearl paint job.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:51 AM
silentvoice19
2nd Gear Member

shes a dirty beast but,hey what are ya gonna do these motors are gettin harder to find every day i paid 200$ for this motor.Im hoping to have 900 into the swap if i do my shopping right.Most expensive part so far is gonna be the heads but those are already covered i was gonna put them on my 302 so its your choice to go with stock heads. Im not gonna add them in the cost. This is gonna be a rough estimate for everyone.
heres my list not including price of motor

ARP main bolts: 50
ARP manifold bolts: 25
ARP head bolts: 60
LTD oil pan: 60 {new}
LTD pick up:25{new} >both from autozone
Felpro gasket kit:60
summit duel plane high rise:150
Water pump:60
Accesory bracket kit:80
aluminum valve covers:60 {from a buddy}
headers:220
main and rod bearings:100

Now there are some thing you cam do if you want but its up to you like a double roller timing chain new valve covers front timing cover. You can have them sandblasted and paint them.It can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it.Be resorcefull if it looks to be in good condition clean it up get som deisel small metal brush a plastic container about 10" deep by maby 20"long you should be able to fit quite a few parts in there.You can have a machinest check the block for cracks and clean it thats usually anywhere from 60-100$ for clean and magnaflux.Make this project fun involve your buddies or someone who doesnt know to much about motors and teach them a few things. Go out and buy book you can never have enough tech books cartechbooks.com is a awesome place to get books from.Im not gonna add some things to the list because its up to you on what you wanna replace.

If anyone have any positive info POSITIVE!!!!!!!!please add it never hurts to have someone elses opinion price list wise also if someone have somethin to add go for it.Please dont flame me or jump on me here if i left somethin out I'm tryin to let some of the new guys know how much it may cost and what all goes into building a motor.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:13 AM
OhioMachIRunner69
2nd Gear Member

If I may ask, how do you plan on doing that swap for $900 dollars? You have $950 in parts that you have listed there and that is just the tip of the iceberg. Everything in that engine is going to need a lot of work; hot tank clean ($60), turn crank ($100+), rework rods and new bolts ($250), bore/hone ($160), cam bearing/freeze plugs/ oil galley plugs ($45), new pistons ($60+ for cheap cast pistons), new rings ($40), head work ($300+), new pushrods ($40), cam/lifters ($150) oil pump ($35), distributor/plug wires ($100), carb ($150 used), plus all the extra stuff you dont think of or forget about which ads up. You're lookin at $2500 with my list + your list...I just want you to know what you are getting into. $900 may not cover the machining that needs done to that engine.

Quick Reply: 351 build