351 Mustang

Help with 351

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:46 PM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

Default Help with 351

I'm new to trying to build a motor and I want to learn as much as possible. I know the basics of the motor and how it works but when it comes to what parts work well together, thats were I get lost. So I need a litte advice from you guys that know your stuff.

I have a gt now and I would like to get a 351 block and build it to around 350 to 400 hp and one day hopefully save enough money to put on a supercharger. I would also like to keep the motor fuel injected. My question is, can I use the computer from my 302 gt on the 351? If not, how do I go about getting the right computer. Do I have to get a computer to match the heads?or the intake? or the injectors? or the throttle body? cause I have no idea what combo of parts I would need on a 351 to achive 350 to 400 hp. Any advice anyone can supply on the computer and part setup combo I should use will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:51 PM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Help with 351

Sorry, I forgot to meantion that this is a build that will take me around a year or two to complete because I'm not rich and I'll have to buy the parts one at a time. My wife's uncle has a 351 motor that is still running that is in a 90 something model pickup truck with around 200k miles on for $200. The transmission went out on the truck and so it has been sitting for around 3 months. Are there any parts that I can keep off it or should I just totally gut the motor to the block and trash all the parts?
Old 08-04-2008, 06:02 PM
ARYANW
2nd Gear Member

you can use the same harness i believe and run bigger injectors and a wider fuel rail and tune the computer or just find something like a lightning w/ a 351 or just get everything aftermarket. just go ahead and strip the block and start from there butdo NOT throw everything away that you take off the motor...atleast till your done building it.400hp with a 351w block isnt hard at all to do, do you have any ideas yet fora build up?
Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 AM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info. I dont have any ideas other than I'd like to have something around that HP without the supercharger and then later on add the supercharger. So whatever I put on, I'd like it to be able to work well with a super charger setup and work well without one. Not sure if there is such a thing but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:43 PM
ARYANW
2nd Gear Member

just build a high flowing motor with a goodh/c/icombo.if you want a motor built for supercharging but it wont see it for a while id say you would have to atleast swap cams whenever you do put the supercharger in to maximize potential but idk...i havent thought about any forced induction...yet.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 PM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

Would I have to change the crank shaft in the 351 if I got it out of a truck? Or could I just have it turned and use it. If I use this crank, will it be a bad thing?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 PM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

the crank?? umm... the crank shouldn't be an issue on that power level... maybe when you go boosted a forged crank would help but if your only going to see 350-400hp then no don't worry about it. If your on a budget theres no need in spending the money on a forged crank when it could be better used elsewhere.

take it from someone who has done the 351w swap... it took me a year to complete my swap from beginning to end because i was only 19 when i started it and didn't have a good job. I was on a very tight budget and had to do as you in purchasing one thing at a time. My best advice would be to collect all the parts you need before hand. Trust me, it'll save you a bunch of headaches and grief... I almost lost interest in my car thinking it was never going to run and just when I was about to give up and sell the car off in parts I had a few dollars to spend on the little things to complete the swap. The first time I heard the engine crank over I knew it was all worth it. But if I could do it over again I would have done it much differently. Trust me man, don't start the swap until you think you have everything you need. Heres my price list to kind of help you out maybe give you an idea.

$450 351w roller block from 95 f250
$360 edelbrock super victor efi intake
$100 mallory afpr
$25 fuel line adapters
$115 edelbrock LS1 adapater (i have a t-bird)
$45 sn95 throttle body adapter
$330 Canton 9qt pan
$25 1" carb spacer
$350 new belt, vac lines, gasket material, misc. gaskets like thermostat and valve covers, intake, thermostat, rtv sealant, etc...
$140 28.8oz flywheel (5.0 uses 50oz imbalance)
$60 other expenses (fluids, tools, suchforth)

Thats exactly $2k. And I'm still using the stock internals, crank, cam, rods, pistons, rings, heads.

In a fox you need to get new headers and a new hood to clear the taller deck height. I avoided both of those expensives by having my own welding machine. Again this is in a 92 tbird but its basically the same swap either way.

If you want man check out my full write up on tccoa. I documented everything to help those with the swap. I also swapped from an auto to a standard but I didn't factor those expenses into those numbers above since they won't pertain to you.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=103398
Old 08-07-2008, 10:51 AM
LyleStyle
2nd Gear Member

Cool......thanks for the info.

I just didn't know if I had to replace the crank since the motor is coming out of a truck. I know a truck motor is setup for pulling power and not speed.Seems like I dont need to replace the crank shaft, so thats good news.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:57 PM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

pulling power is speed, only difference is trucks are geared lower (numerically higher)
ex: an f250 has a 4.56 rear end gear ratio while a fox body stang may have a 2.73.

since you got the engine already you might as well prep it for the swap.