351 Mustang

Let me know what you think of my mild 351

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Default Let me know what you think of my mild 351

Well I have quite a bit saved up but would rather not spend all of my money at once and figured this would be a nice mild 351w build that should keep me happy for at least next year let me know what you think or what you'd do differently. First off I thought I'd start with this because it's brand new and fairly cheap for a longblock.
351w
It's the same as the one on the FRPP website but about 200 bucks cheaper. I know it's a truck engine but a cam swap and a diffenent flywheel and I'm in business. I was thinking of a cam along these lines, not exactly this one but something similar to this cam. With the right carb and a set of long tubes it should be good for about 275-285 hp for under 3500 bucks. This leaves me with enough money to finish up on some of the suspension and brake upgrades I want to do. I think it would be a decent performer until I get the aluminum heads, and the right carb and cam set up. Let me know what you think and don't be to harsh on me.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

285hp for $3500??? The hell, no way. The link doesn't work, but whatever you're looking at I'd never buy. You can get a WHOLE lot more for $3,500. Go buy a good roller block, get it cleaned up, machined, all new internals, balanced, and a good set of heads, a cam, and a nice edelbrock RPM intake to top it off.

Crate engines just seem like a great way to throw away a lot of money when you can easily do all that work yourself for a fraction of the cost, and get so much more for your money. That's just my advice. Yeah crate engines are new - but you'll pay out your *** for them for marginal performance.

- (edit) and if you're talking about strictly the block, then I have no idea because I can't see the price. The only reason I would buy a new block though was if it was a race block, and then yeah maybe I'd be willing to drop a dollar or two on it but since I can't see what you're looking at I guess I'll just stick with what I've said so far.

Last edited by DeltaElite121; 10-16-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

Are you trying to tell me that buying a block, rotating assembly, oil pump & pickup, oil pan, heads, cam, intake, carb, and distributor is going to be cheaper than buying a crate 351 for 2600 bucks and swapping a cam and getting a carb? If you price it out buying all that is in the $6K range. Like I said I want to do this as cheap as possible for this year and 3500<<<6000 no matter how you look at it.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 PM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I misread what you were saying. I thought it was 3500 bucks for what you were getting on top of the other parts you needed (in which case you could see what I was saying)

Sounds like a possible option of doing things to keep you entertained for the time being until you decide to bolt on more stuff whenever you're ready.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:19 PM
dudeboy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Projectquick
Are you trying to tell me that buying a block, rotating assembly, oil pump & pickup, oil pan, heads, cam, intake, carb, and distributor is going to be cheaper than buying a crate 351 for 2600 bucks and swapping a cam and getting a carb? If you price it out buying all that is in the $6K range. Like I said I want to do this as cheap as possible for this year and 3500<<<6000 no matter how you look at it.
lol @ your $2600...

Another $99...
and you can have a Liberator 408w shortblock...
http://www.fordstrokers.com/fordstro...hortblock.html

Through Jim (of FordStrokers) you can could even get hooked up with a custom cam... installed before you even see the motor!!!!!!!

Just an option for you,
jason
Old 10-17-2008, 12:43 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i double what has been said above..........

do it once and do it right.........i know i have been there....
Old 10-17-2008, 09:06 AM
DeltaElite121
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtmustang
i double what has been said above..........

do it once and do it right.........i know i have been there....
I was going to say this as 2600 is alot to drop on a 'mild' build just to do it all over again, but if that's what he wants to do then there's no sense in suggesting something more expensive. I also come from this angle as this is exactly what I'm doing with my 351 roller block, but to each their own and not everyone wants to go through all that.

I agree with you though completely, and I think that's what he should do if he has the option to do so.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

The thing is I really want to be able to keep the car as kind of a 50/50 track/street car. I think a 408w would be complete overkill for what I want. When all is said and done, I want the 351w to be pushing about 400-450 hp and I will be happy with that, the only reason I don't want more is because I doubt I'll be able to handle driving anymore than that. Thanks for the suggestions, but does anybody know maybe where I can get a 351w short or long block that won't break the bank? I'd really rather not throw a good chunk of my savings at an engine just yet.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:39 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

if u have a block already just order some parts and take it to a local machine shop you trust..
Old 10-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

A 351 making 450hp will be much less street-able than a 408w making 500. That's a lot of power from a small motor, will likely need something more than 91 to run in it. A 408 on the other hand will rev lower, make more power, and can do it all with less compression and less cam. This is the reason I bought a 408w over a 351. A-side from that, should make upwards of 525 across the board when it's all said and done. Building a good 351 and a good 408, there really isn't much price difference either, as you have to buy the h/c/i anyway, which is the expensive part.

My motor is based off this short block (with 22cc pistons that he happened to have to keep compression at 10:1, and the girdle for $150... can't go wrong with that):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALL-F...spagenameZWDVW

I am EXTREMELY happy with the block, cam immaculate, everything is done beautifully, shipped/packaged extremely well, and excellent parts in it, and everything is forged.

Here's a sum up of what the motor has cost me, everything is CAD... when our dollar was worse than it is now:

Short Block - 2600 shipped
Hooker S/C long tubes - 550
Victor Jr. heads - 1400
Comp Stainless Hi-Tek Rockers - 250
Comp Push rods - 114
Custom Ground Comp Cam - 270
Roller Lifters - 120
Trickflow intake - 700
Canton Pan - 260
HV Oil Pump - 60
Cloyes Timing Gear Set - 45
New Water Pump - 35
ARP Head Studs - 70
ARP Accessory Kit - 60
Accufab 80mm Race T/B - 300
Edelbrock Valve Covers (tall) - 80

That should be pretty much it... I think... Anyway, sum it up and you get roughly 6900... But you must realize this has all been over the course of a year that I have been building this engine, so it's not like I threw away almost 7 grand right off the bat. If I were you I would go this route, it's more expensive than buying a regular 351, sure, but you make twice as much power, have a stronger rotating assembly, more street-able, and you can say "I built that" when you run down that 1/4 mile. You'll also have no regrets, other than not going with a 427 or something, as you bought the best of the best. Do it once, do it right, as has already been said. If you happen to buy a 351, and you're not happy with the power you're getting out of it, you're going to have to go thru everything, and spend twice as much in the end.

If that's all you a sure you will ever want, is 275hp, then buy it, if even think you'll ever want more than the extra 50hp, buy something else in the first place

Quick Reply: Let me know what you think of my mild 351