351 Mustang

351w tear down problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:46 AM
PunchRacing

Default 351w tear down problems

dont worry, im sure ill have alot to post in this thread. i am starting to take everything apart to replace the head gasket. i was looking around and i dont really understand how the carb is setup on this engine. when i pull the throttle linkage, it doesnt open the butterfly. also, there are a couple vacuum lines that are plugged off. AND... there is a black piece that comes from the same place as the throttle linkage that isnt connected to anything.
anything you guys can help with would be greatly appreciated. also, found out i have roller rockers... where those stock?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 AM
gtmustang1090
1st Gear Member

are you talking about the choke. because its a electric choke and wont open by moving the throttle linkage.. just a fyi
Old 04-02-2009, 02:11 PM
PunchRacing

yeah i realized that really late last night but never got around to fixing the post. too many beers not enough oil...

so today i got everything except the heads off(lunch break)... i found a bent push rod and 1.6 roller rockers.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:18 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

while ur changin the head gasket, put a darn 4bbl on it lol
Old 04-02-2009, 11:44 PM
PunchRacing

dont worry, thats the plan. looking for an old stock 4bbl until i can afford a good aftermarket one. gonna put the motor together and make sure everything runs for awhile before i start throwing alot of money at it. with a blown head gasket and bent push rod when i purchased it, im worried there are problems with the bottom end as well... i guess its a game of wait and see...
Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 PM
PunchRacing

is there a secret to getting the head bolts out? do i have to wish them out? rub the fender 3 times? i have tried everything short of an impact(last resort cause i could only reach the front half of the bolts).... these things are STUCK
Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 PM
PunchRacing

also, i found an edelbrock 650 4bbl double pumper for $50... some good news i guess. still need a new set of push rods(what exactly am i looking for? 351 block with 1.6 roller rockers. and all the new gaskets.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:34 PM
PunchRacing

ok so even after using an impact i cant even get the bolts to move... anything else i can try? im dumb founded right now
Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 AM
cccharleston
1st Gear Member

Six point socket and a breaker bar.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:48 PM
PunchRacing

tried a six point socket with the impact and it just spun the socket. tried another six point socket with a foot long breaker bar... couldnt get it to budge... let talk extremes... i know it would ruin my heads but what about heating the bolt so it would expand and then waiting for it to cool and see if it will shrink enough for me to be able to get it out? i found a spare 351w motor for $50 cause the guy was just trying to get rid of it.

Quick Reply: 351w tear down problems