351 Mustang

351W shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 12:43 AM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Well I installed the ignition switch and still shuts down. It was worth a shot though. Then I received my new MSD distributor and MSD coil pack. replaced them both and the car was hard to start at first but started. It idled a little rough at first then a little high then shut down again. Now it will not start, it turns over but will not start. I followed all instructions for replacing the distributor. I made sure the rotor was in the same position as the old. lubed up the gear. put all the wires back in the same place they came off. It's late and I'm beat so I'll take a look at fuses tomorrow to make sure something didn't blow. If all that looks good I'll put back on the old coil pack, then distributor if I have to. I have to check and make sure I am getting spark at the plug, I can hear the fuel pump coming on before cranking up the motor. On initial start I had good fuel pressure 40 psi. I may have to face the fact that I will have to take it to a shop.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:31 PM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Well, I was able to get it to start today. I will definately have to do some fine tuning to the timing. Do you guys think it takes much for timing to be off to shut off the motor? The previous owner had a ver mild blower friendly cam put in. How much do you think I can advance the timing with my config? I run 91+ octane. Thanks.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:42 AM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Well I took in to a shop and so far they have found my ignition module to be bad. That was replaced and solved the early shutdowns. Now there is another problem, the Aeromotive A1000 pump is shutting down due to drawing too much amps. It appears the relay is trippping somehow. I also decided to purchase and install the Aeromotive Fuel Pump Speed Control module. I hear this solves a lot of Aeromotives fuel issues. Crossing my fingers.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:54 AM
decipha
2nd Gear Member

dont overlook the msd ignition box those things can be faulty and cause problems like your having also the ignition coil could be going out, im not saying ditch them just be mindful

also does your computer know your base fuel pressure? stock is 39psi with the vac line off which should fall down below 30psi at idle, some tuners will up the base pressure and tune for it but be sure your computer is setup like that
Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 AM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info onthe tune. I didn't even think of that. The shop verified it as a bad fuel pump and the filer was extremely clogged. Appearantly when the previous owner had the after market Aeromotive tank put in, it wasn't checked for cleanisness or the owner put some cheap bad gas in at some point. The shop recommed that I replace the fuel filter every 90 days until no sign of contaminents. Anyways, after replacing the fuel pump she runs like a champ and motor runs a lot cooler. Fuel pressure was at 40 before and now runs at 45psi. Also the Aeromotive fuel pump speed controller appears to help bunches since I do a lot of just arount town cruising. Thanks for all your input & help.

Dave
Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
MaroonNotchback

check your fuel filter.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 AM
lujandj
1st Gear Member

All is resolved now. I had two seperate issues. First it all started with the alternator failing and the battery being over 6 yrs old and not able to hold a charge. Then there was the bad ignition module, clogged fuel filter that caused the fuel pump to go bad. After replacing all the parts the car runs awesome now.