351 Mustang

393 stroker need to know everything

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

Default 393 stroker need to know everything

hello i have been thinkig of making a stroker for the longest time and always wanted to put a spercharger on it but a 302 block stroked to a 331 or 347 will split i have been told.so what im wondering is that can a stock 351 block stroked to a 393 if it can handle the power if it is supercharged with a cast crank forged rods and pistons. i also want to know what all clearances i have to check and if there is anything that needs ground on the block. also what all i need to do to make it fit in a foxbody mustang. last what has everyone been saying about them and if there are any problems with it. i just basically need to know everything from building them to puttin it in a foxbody and what all they can handle and what kit i should by and what problems people hve heard with them and anyother thins that may be worth while of knowing.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

also whats this using 302 pistons and the stock 351w rods to make a 393? are the 302 pistons bigger than the 351w? and if so what are the the sizes of crank shaft and rod and pistons and the size of a 302 piston and 351 piston because i dontunderstand this concept of it
Old 12-31-2012, 07:21 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

you will need everything it takes to put a 351W into a fox as far as swap parts go. Yes, the 393 runs a 302 piston and a stock 351W rod and a aftermarket crank with more stroke to come up with 393 CID.
You are asking will the parts handle a supercharger well yes, but how much HP are you looking to make? Most of the stroker W engines will need clearance around the oil pump area. You will need to check all clearances just like any other engine build and then even more to make sure things are not gone to hit.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 AM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

I just got done assembling my 393. There's no clearancing required. Only clearance issue I ran into was when I overtorqued my rod bolts and had to order new ones. The head of the bolt for the new set was longer and therefore hit the side of the block by the oil pump. Just dont screw up like i did and you wont run into clearance issues.

I hope your going to go all out w this car. With a correctly built 393, youre lookin at low to mid 500's crankshaft horsepower. Thats enough to destroy your stock drivetrain. You'll need to beef up the clutch, transmission especially, and rear end. Dont forget some sticky tires or your just going to spin. Youre probably looking at 450 rwhp. And youre talking of supercharging, which will probably put you in the 6-700~ range. Thats about the limit of the 351w. I would stud everything if I were you, especially if youre thinking of high revs and racing
Old 12-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

okay so i am probly going to buy a kit from summit with a cast crank an forged rods and pistons with about 10:1 compression and if i do the 393 i will get studs for my main caps and heads. im just wondering if a stock block with all the machining done and th internals i said about will hold up to a super charger. also what heads would be good and cam because im going to put put roller lifters and rockers. also what transmission would be good i have a t5 could i make that stronger and keep that possibly?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Again you keep talking about how much power things can handle the ?? is how much do you want to make. There are guys with 1000 HP on stock W blocks but they have good Forged internals and they not gone to live for years or anything and they are turbo cars also. I know the 408 kit I got had to have the area around the oil pump clearance but it also has H beam rods.

Are you gone to run a S/C or just leave it N/A a T5 is NOT gone to last with a N/A 393 much less a S/C one even a built one look into a p/g or a turbo 400 a well built 4r70w unless you are gone to drive around like grandma then the t5 will make it.

For heads I would look for nothing smaller then a 205 CC port maybe even a 225 port but the S/C will help it get through the intake port anyways so the 205 will work ok and you are not gone to spin that cast stuff to the moon so the smaller head should work fine with the S/C even through you will be giving up some HP with the smaller heads.

That brings us to rods I would not trust the Stock rods much over the 550 HP range some will tell you they have had more with them and OK maybe they did But it is the weakest point of the build and you can pick up a set of good H beams cheap and is well worth the extra $$ if you plan on turning up the boost. But thats me and it is your money.

Also you need to check EVERY clearance. check all of your bearing clearances P/V clearance, ring gaps, thrust/end play, you know all the stuff you do when you build a engine you know clearances. not just if things are gone to hit

Last edited by uedlose; 12-31-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:03 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

The ultimate question at the end of the day is whats your budget? A well built 393 is not going to be cheap so I dont want you to be surprised when you total up the dollar amount. I would start looking into a TKO transmission if you're wanting to stay manual. Everything on the inside needs to be forged. 10:1 would be a good cr, but remember when youre calculating everything that stroking will raise the ratio. I went w a 205 head for mine. As far as cams go, get something custom ground. Or call Comp, theyve got steoker cams available. Last but not least MEASURE EVERYTHING
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Fordfoxbody88
1st Gear Member

okay want to make about500 i really dont need anything above 600 though, i just need something that isnt going to blow up in a couple months, i think sometimes that a 347 would be the better route for me considering i have almost all i need for that but i would like to create boost with a stroker motor but everyone says the 302 block will split if you supercharge it right away, and i dont really want to put the money into a aftermarket block. does anyone know if you can supercharge a 347 with a stock block with 10 to 1 cr and tune it down maybe a lil so the motor will at least last a couple years?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Duncan_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fordfoxbody88
okay want to make about 500 i really dont need anything above 600 though
A properly built 393 n/a will make 500 hp all day
Old 01-01-2013, 04:07 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

why not just do a 351W with a good piston and S/C it? with good heads and cam and the right boost it will make 500 HP all day long and last like a bad habit if you dont abuse it and run the **** out of it every time you take off from a light and have a good tune in it. Or like said above 500 is not real hard to make with a 393 if it is built right.
Not all 302 blocks fail at 500 hp some will take more BUT some wont but if you cant accept that it is a bomb then I would not go that way.

Quick Reply: 393 stroker need to know everything