351 Mustang

393 ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:40 AM
spyder_doo
1st Gear Member

Default 393 ?s

Hey everyone I'm about to have to rebuild my 351w in my rx7. I'm just going to go ahead and stroke it while the engines torn down. I'm wondering what's the best setup to go with? I'm leaning towards the 393 kit due to the fact you dont have to shave anything off. Where can I get a forged kit for a good price? I've heard that Eagle parts are nice so I'll probaly use them unless someone has another prefered brand...then I'll have to look into them. I'm also not sure as to what heads or cam I'm going to want to run with this engine...any info and website links would be great
Old 01-18-2006, 02:45 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 393 ?s

To start, it all depends on how much power you are looking for. You can go with a 357W, 393W, 408W, 418W, etc. Anything above a 357W is going to make big numbers regardless, it just depends on how big you want to go. Second, there are a couple people who you can get kits from; Eagle makes good stuff, scatt makes good stuff if you want to piece it together. But for a full kit you can look towards DSS (dssracing.com) or you can look towards CHP (coasthigh.com). Their kits are very reputable and not to bad on the pockets. Also, what do you mean when you say you are looking to go with the 393W because you dont have to shave anything off? Also, with the heads; it depends on power and streeability. If I were you I would go with a nice set of AFR 205's or something equivalent. And your cam depends on where you want your power. You need to know what heads/stroker you are getting before you pick out a cam. What exactally are you looking to get out of this motor? Is it going to be a weekend car? Drag Car? Daily Driver? Auto or Manual?
Old 01-18-2006, 03:13 PM
spyder_doo
1st Gear Member

The whole shaving anything off thing is refering to not have to bore it. I was told you can just use 302 pistons, 351w rods, and a different crank to get a 393w. I dont want to go any higher because I dont really want to mess with that. The car is going to be mostly a track car, but I still want to be able to take it out on the streets if need be. It's pretty quick in a straight line right now, but still can be alot faster. The handling is really is great too. So I'll probaly autocross this little thing every now and then also. I was told to go with this size engine, a mild cam, 205 alum heads (as you said), and a 125-175 spray. It's got a built AOD tranny but it'll probaly be switched over to a c-4 after the build.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:14 PM
spyder_doo
1st Gear Member

oh and I think around 450 would be pushing this little car but that would be nice to have.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:02 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Well, one thing is for sure. You WILL NOT be able to run an AOD with that motor. Also, were you talking about a Performance Automatic C4? If so, just to let you know; all of their prices went up. Their conversion kits just went up $1,000 due to the extreme rise in cost of aluminum. Also, if you plan on running that much spray you will be cutting it close with that block. I would chill on the spray for a while, I would also highly recommend getting a main support system for the motor; that can help out some. And ALSO, running spray on a motor like that, I would go with forged internals. Just my .02.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:09 PM
spyder_doo
1st Gear Member

yeah the spray is just an option for even more power...not even going to think about not going forged. Will a 750 holley carb be enough for this engine? How much do you think all of this will cost: stroking it, new gaskets, seals, bearings, everything, set of alum heads, cams, headers...basically just building the engine?
Old 01-19-2006, 02:50 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Its pretty dumb to spend all that money on a motor like that and not forge it. The crank will be OK but everything else should be forged. Also, I am having a 418 built around 6K, it comes with everything except for a carb and water pump. Thats a 418 stroker, Avenger Pro "R"'s (230's), Canton 7qt pan, everything forged, all new gaskets, new lifters, springs, rockers, custom cam, edelbrock victor jr. manifold, double roller timing chair, timing chain cover, polished valve covers, main support system, and some other stuff that i cannot think of. But Im getting it for cheap but expect to pay around there if you are getting a new block and everything.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:19 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

you wil most likely need more than a 750 if you stroke it. if you stay with the 357, you may be able to run the 750 (more depends on the cam you run).
Old 02-27-2006, 02:56 PM
spyder_doo
1st Gear Member

Ok the engine is now torn apart. Now I need to get the block checked out and start buying the parts. Could someone help me out with chosing where to get them and which ones to get lol. I'm copying a friends engine but he doesn't know where to buy the parts now. A scat cast crank, eagle rods, srp forged pistons, vic jr heads, street roller, holley street intake, and 750holley....that's the list of parts he gave me. My question is which crank, rods, and pistons do I need. I've got the rest of it figured out, just need the stuff for the short block. I'm trying to stroke it to a 393 so what's the spec of the parts I need. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 02-28-2006, 12:07 AM
S351R13
2nd Gear Member

If you go to ebay and look up keith kraft they had a forged 383w kit for $1100. Their ebay id is keithc8.

Quick Reply: 393 ?s