Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual transmission Questions - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Manual transmission Questions - suggestions?

Ok first off, to all of you, reverse grinds for 2 reasons, (1) its the only non synchronized gear in the trans, that means there is no gear speed equalization. (2) Its a spur/straight cut gear, thats why itll grind sometimes when putting it in gear. Best thing Ive found is just to put it into reverse before you even start the car.
As for how I use the clutch, I use my whole leg, Im also pretty tall though. As for the best way to get going, just pump the gas rather than "apply" it, and release the clutch slowly.
-P.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:10 PM
KnotBand
I ♥ Acer

pump the gas? I end up lurching, or it appears that I am lurching, what it is, is that the throttle is so sensitive, that a very slight pulse in the gas pedal causes me to lurch at high speeds...have to totally let off the gas when I do this....

use your whole leg...when you do, you use your thigh muscle and hamstring, which are the strogest muscles in your body, as opposed to just your calf.....you get better control and smoother action on the clutch
Old 07-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Makes sense KnotBand. I'll try it that way instead. Watch my shifting powers grow!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 05:16 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

Ok first off, to all of you, reverse grinds for 2 reasons, (1) its the only non synchronized gear in the trans, that means there is no gear speed equalization. (2) Its a spur/straight cut gear, thats why itll grind sometimes when putting it in gear. Best thing Ive found is just to put it into reverse before you even start the car.
As for how I use the clutch, I use my whole leg, Im also pretty tall though. As for the best way to get going, just pump the gas rather than "apply" it, and release the clutch slowly.
-P.
Reverse isn't grinding for me - it just wouldn't go into it.

Edit - Does anyone else have a habit of "leaning forward" when letting out the clutch to fight the forward movement? I do it and don't even realize it until it's already done. Feels stupid! [8D] Trying not to do it anymore. It reminds me of a heron stretching it's neck out.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:24 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

dontlistento the manual lol its dumb, clutch in say your in first.. because your clutch is in and yourin gear, and your stoped, that means your transmission isnt turning lol.. go for reverse lol, the only chance is doesnt let you go in is because the teeth of the spur gear are linedup, so release the brake and then push her in the reverse gear
Old 07-07-2006, 03:48 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

for reverse. just let your foot slowlyoff the brake so you roll abit, and th gear should go in

and for the clutch slipping.. dont worry about it , unless you drive like my sister,your clutch will alst your forever, drive it howyouw ant,and youll learn to drive it toyour cars style
and youll just get smoother fromthere

Lol blackfoot, wasnt it you that posted a while ago about your clutch slipping?
Old 07-07-2006, 03:51 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

somebody posted a while ago that the reason it is hard to get into reverse is because it will not go in if it is on the right side of 3 and 4 for more than a second. Its some safety feature so you don't accidentally switch into reverse when cruising. So push it left then right into reverse. Works for me.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

8cd03gro - I'll have to try that. That's a great safety mechanism for someone like me!

I'm getting a little better after a couple of days (much to my girlfriend's happiness). At least she hasn't gotten carsick yet.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Default 1500-2500 RPM, clutch out?

When shifting into first from a stop, is 1500-2500 RPM too high? I hold the gas in around that range (it varies because my foot's not used to the touchy gas pedal yet). I don't really 'pump' or 'rock' the gas, I just hold it somewhere in that range and slowly let out the clutch so I don't jerk the car.

Is that standard issue as far as driving a manual goes, or am I doing it wrong?

I saw it posted that this clutch is a heavy duty one. Is that information correct?

Thanks!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:26 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

for reverse. just let your foot slowlyoff the brake so you roll abit, and th gear should go in

and for the clutch slipping.. dont worry about it , unless you drive like my sister,your clutch will alst your forever, drive it howyouw ant,and youll learn to drive it toyour cars style
and youll just get smoother fromthere

Lol blackfoot, wasnt it you that posted a while ago about your clutch slipping?
lol yes lol, and the aftermarket clutch didnt come in because they thoughtmy car was an 04 lol!..but yeah mysister drove my car last year, (i would let her tkae little trips into town, soshe could feel cool :P) lol but what really killed my clutch is when i went on vacation and her boyfriend stole my car ( i charged him) he put 3500km onmy car, tires were half the life, and myclutch was near gone..

lol update,was i half writing this.. lol my sister got her second ticket lol doiing 65 in a 50 LOL.. 50$ ticket.. ive never had anytickets lol and she just got her licences too...

now im not gonna lie,imunder my moms name to cut prices down.. lol inmy name i wouldnt be able to afford my car.. my sister has the same deal.... my mom always threatened us that if we got a ticket we would lose that previage and be on our insurance.. she got two tickets and shes still under my mom.. she just laughs about it.. if iit was me, id be looking for a new home too

Quick Reply: Manual transmission Questions - suggestions?