Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Manual transmission Questions - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

Default Manual transmission Questions - suggestions?

I just rejoined the Mustang crowd with an 06 Tungsten Gray V6 manual. I'm pretty new to the manual, so I have a question or two.

*Why is reverse so hard to lock in? I got in the car, pushed in the clutch all the way, turned it on, and tried to put it in reverse and it just wouldn't go. I ran it through first and second, then put it in reverse (finally). Is there something I don't know about the manual transmission that I need to here?
*How smooth should my shifts be? Obviously third through fifth are fine, as I'm already moving along decently. First and second are a bit notchy because of their shortness I guess. How much clutch slip is OK without burning up the clutch? Sometimes I rev it around 1k-2k rpm and slip it into 1st, other times I try to let it lock in more before I give it some gas.
*Second is a little catchy as well. Should I be giving it some gas while letting out the clutch to "match up" my RPM, or should I just be letting out the clutch slower? Again, I'm afraid of burning up the clutch if I let it slip too much.

I know these are some newbie questions, but hopefully you guys can give me loads of pointers. I'm also going to see if my brother can go out with me and kind of tell me what I should/shouldn't do since he has driven manuals a lot.

So far I really like the control of the manual a lot more than the auto. I think it fits me best. Definitely in a Mustang!

Thanks all.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:57 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Manual transmission Questions - suggestions?

for reverse. just let your foot slowlyoff the brake so you roll abit, and th gear should go in

and for the clutch slipping.. dont worry about it , unless you drive like my sister,your clutch will alst your forever, drive it howyouw ant,and youll learn to drive it toyour cars style
and youll just get smoother fromthere
Old 07-06-2006, 02:10 AM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

for reverse. just let your foot slowlyoff the brake so you roll abit, and th gear should go in

and for the clutch slipping.. dont worry about it , unless you drive like my sister,your clutch will alst your forever, drive it howyouw ant,and youll learn to drive it toyour cars style
and youll just get smoother fromthere
Thanks for the reverse tip. I was wondering if the car needed some motion first to sort of "loosen" the gears up from being parked in first.

I'm going to be keeping this car for a long time, so I wanted to make the clutch last as long as I could before it burned up. Thanks for the tips.

Anyone else got some more info?
Old 07-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Unbound

Manual gears are tight with a new car. I found the new mustang (I have an 05 manual) very tight but they loosen up with a little time so soon they will be perfect. First to second I found very short, something I had to get used to. As for clutch slip, I pretty much let it lock in before giving it gas (give a little gas as not to stall the car) the less cluch slip the longer it will last. I let the clutch out till it starts to grab and pause there for a second, then give it gas while letting it out the rest of the way. As for reverse I still sometimes have a moment or two slipping it in. I had a Jetta that was the same, maybe it's just the way it is with reverse, I don't know but your not alone. Hope this helps.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:40 AM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

for reverse there is protection built in the tranny...you have to wait 3-4 seconds after coming out of 1-45before you can put it reverse...sounds wierd but it's actually in the manual

Old 07-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Unbound

Manual gears are tight with a new car. I found the new mustang (I have an 05 manual) very tight but they loosen up with a little time so soon they will be perfect. First to second I found very short, something I had to get used to. As for clutch slip, I pretty much let it lock in before giving it gas (give a little gas as not to stall the car) the less cluch slip the longer it will last. I let the clutch out till it starts to grab and pause there for a second, then give it gas while letting it out the rest of the way. As for reverse I still sometimes have a moment or two slipping it in. I had a Jetta that was the same, maybe it's just the way it is with reverse, I don't know but your not alone. Hope this helps.
Yeah, that helps. Thanks! I imagine they'll loosen up a little. 1st to 2nd is pretty short. I couldn't imagine having 4.10 in there.

I'll go get some more practice in. How much "jerk" is in your shifts? I'm trying to make it smooth as I can, but I don't want to make it smooth at the cost of my clutch, you know?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amystery2u

for reverse there is protection built in the tranny...you have to wait 3-4 seconds after coming out of 1-45before you can put it reverse...sounds wierd but it's actually in the manual

I don't have a manual yet. :\
Old 07-06-2006, 02:53 PM
Explaced
1st Gear Member

I found out the emergency brake crutch is more harmful than helpful. I used it on a hill today (first time) and completely choked the car down - twice - because I didn't give it more gas to get it moving through the lightly applied emergency brake. [:@]

I'm such a back manual driver, ha! I thought I'd try the emergency brake thing, and I'm sorry I did. That's harder than just letting it slip a little extra and going on up the hill I think. I'm not going to learn to do it that way - that'll just hurt me as far as learning goes.

When you guys clutch, do you leave your heal of your left foot on the ground and pivot the clutch in and out, or do you use your whole leg? I get a smoother shift somehow using my whole leg sometimes. Beats me how that happens - I'd think that would be less reliable.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:47 PM
paulboy16
4th Gear Member

im the same, i use my whole leg! but thats because im tall and when i lift my toes my knee hits the steering wheel!

Paul
Old 07-06-2006, 04:04 PM
elektra
2nd Gear Member

This is my first manual and love teh feal of it.

1st and 2nd are a little tuff but i heard that the manuals have a heavy duty clutch. You will get use to it to find that perfect point with the gas/clutch ratio.

I use my entire leg and use the entire play of the clutch to the floor. But I am new to manuals so take it at that!

I only have 3k on mine and lovin every second of my 6 minute drive to work.

Good luck and have fun.

Quick Reply: Manual transmission Questions - suggestions?