Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Trouble with Hurst shifter??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 AM
ThirdStang

Default Trouble with Hurst shifter??

I put the shifter in when the car was fairly new, so I wasn't really used to it yet. In the last month, it was very hard to shift and notchy. Couldn't pull from 1st to 2nd without stopping in the middle. Also the car had a bad vibration. Seemed like the engine. Above 3000 rpm, it was terrible. The shifter is really only a ball and socket, I couldn't believe that it could affect the shifting. The throws were nice and short, but the shifting was terrible.
Finally I was going to bring the car into the dealer to check the trans. I pulled out the shifter and put the stock one back in. All the trouble disappeared. It's not perfect, but it's 1000% better. Even the vibration disappeared. WTF?
Granted, the stock shifter is a little rubbery and the throws are longer, I'd rather have it like this than the other way.
Before you point fingers, yes I installed it correctly. I've been working on cars for 40 years, used to be a Ford mechanic.
Anybody else have a similar problem? Maybe the neoprene bushings in the Hurst are too stiff? Maybe the Steeda or other shifters are better?
I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks
Old 08-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Torcher

Default RE: Trouble with Hurst shifter??

Got mine for over 10k miles and is it very good, no vibrations. The feel is different from the stock, but that's about it. Very happy with it.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:39 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

I've had mine in for about 5k miles, I get a buzzing at around 2300rpm but the shifting is as smooth as out trans is going to get. I think our trans is inherently hard to shift; I don't think the shifter makes any difference, the linkage is the stock one, the only difference is the rod that connects to it (at the bottom of the shifter). I think we just have a very unrefined truck engine/trans set up that is loud raucous; rememinds me of the old "Rock Crusher" from the 60's.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:29 AM
ThirdStang

When I first installed it I took the advice of someone I read about on here that said to reverse the metal sleeve inside the rubber bushing on the front of the shifter where it mounts to the trans. This way the flange on the sleeve would be against the trans. He then said to add a washer to the outside. He claimed it eliminated some vibration for him. Maybe it caused the vibration for me. I'm going to re install the shifter without this change and see what happens. Thanks
Old 08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
bluhawkshockey31
2nd Gear Member

yeah i dont know what you mean. Shifting was hard at first. (stiff and tough) However not 2-3 days later it became much smoother and easier. Now ive had it in about 3 weeks and i love it now...its super easy to shift
Old 08-10-2006, 10:01 PM
GIDDEUP
2nd Gear Member

Shifting is very smooth on mine, but I too have the really loud buzzing/rattling when I accelerate.