Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

tlok?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Mansmadlogic
1st Gear Member

Default tlok?

tlok in the snow?
my car is my daily driver and i would like to put 373 or even 410 with tlok but my understanding of tlok is that it makes both tires spin equally but how would my car handle in the snow with the power of the gears

[IMG]local://upfiles/43168/E21C676863FD46FB8341FB3E13C305B7.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Unbound

Default RE: tlok?

With the t-lock it would be worse, if one wheel looses traction they both do. And with lower gears you'll have more torque as well, what do you think that will accomplish in the snow? Another strike for driving in the snow or any slippery surface. Summer only if you do either or.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Euronimous

Although I wouldn't drive my stang in the snow It would seem to me that having two tires with traction as opposed to one would most definantly be a plus. Say one is on ice and the other has got bite...well you would wind up moving right? with one drive tire if it is the one on the ice you are stuck. Hmmm 2 seem better. But I could be wrong. Good luck winter driving you may need it. Best wishes.
Old 08-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Unbound

Usualy if it snows it's everywhere . Not only under one tire and no... it dosn't work that way, if it did every car on the road would have this set-up for better safety. That's why when one wheel slips the other gets to drive. With the t-lock theres no choice.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:19 PM
danno

Yeah, I thought it was the other way around - that with a t-lok, the tire with the most traction gets the power - exactly what you'd want in the snow...

-danno
Old 08-14-2006, 09:20 PM
danno

Unbound - I think you've got traction control and t-lok confused - traction contol will do what you're saying in the snow...

-danno
Old 08-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Euronimous

Unbound - When it snows you are right...it is everywhere, but snow will actually give your tires something to bite into thus producing traction. Ice on the otherhand is what gives you a problem with slipping and most often it is localized...say in a frozen puddle or compacted snow which acts like ice. What I was saying is it is better to have two tires that have tha ability to bite for traction than one just like 4 tires is even better than two...hmm maybe your winters are different. I live in the central NY snow belt and get as much as 2 feet of snow overnight. I have been driving in it my whole life. If I was to drive my stang in the winter I would want a Tloc. but thats just me.

to Mansmad logic if you do drive in the winter add lots of weight to your trunk it will help a lot, and easy on the pedle.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Mansmadlogic
1st Gear Member

bump
Old 08-16-2006, 12:22 AM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

it could be worse, but it would also keep you from getting stuck cause you have power to both wheels instead of 1

and so you know the t-lok is garbage if you plan to do any heavy moding
Old 08-16-2006, 12:43 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

tlok isnt garbage, itll just wear out faster than under a 300hp car.

Quick Reply: tlok?