Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Engine Swap for V8 - Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 06:31 AM
ST4NG
1st Gear Member

Default Engine Swap for V8 - Yay or Nay?

Well.... I'm recieving a nice check from my great grandmothers life insurance policy. (Unfortunatley thats why im getting the check.) And I am considering swapping my V6 engine out for V8 engine. (Ford OEM 2005 - 2006 GT Engine)

I've been looking on ebay and it'll be within the budget im giving myself for my car. $2500 for the engine, $500 (guesstimate) shipping, and $1000 to have it dropped in. For a total of $4000.

Do you think its worth it? I'd be open to other engines, however i'd be very hesitant. I'll have to check out ford racing's crate engines, but then im afraid of what the results will be once its in.

I'd trade the vehicle in, but its going to cost me about the same to do so anyway.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:54 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine Swap for V8 - Yay or Nay?

Your looking at more money than that to drop a V8 in. For starters, the front suspension would't be able to hold the new weight (main problem), you need a computer and its accesories and a tlock would be nice to help control the new power. If I was you Id keep the V6 and get a turbo or a supercharger! It would be less than the engine swap and you would be plenty fast if not faster!
Old 08-18-2006, 11:41 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Get a turbo or supercharger. You'll have end up with more HP and you won't have to do anything with the suspension. You can get a non-intercooled Vortech for under $3000, I think. I got my Stage II ProCharger with 3-core intercooler for $3800 shipped from RPMOutlet.com.

The turbo will run you about $4800 I think, and it's a bit more of an involved install. But power-wise, it can't be beat.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:53 AM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I would trade in the v6 for a gt and use the cash to keep the loan amount low. you could end up with a lower payment.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:25 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

why, with 4k I would just slap a procharger on there
Old 08-18-2006, 01:31 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

You will need more than the engine, as has been previously stated you will need the computer, wiring harness, you will also need the trans, driveshaft, rearend (because the 7.5 isn't very strong) and countless other small items. If I were you I would buy a turbo or just buy a GT.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:40 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boss 244

I would trade in the v6 for a gt and use the cash to keep the loan amount low. you could end up with a lower payment.
I second this idea. It's the smartest move.

Swapping in the V8 is going to be more than $1000. You're not considering alot of things, or at least not mentioning it.

How is the new engine going to bolt up to your current transmission?
Are you going to need new engine mounts?
Is the V6 radiator sufficient for the V8?
Will you need all new accessories? (alternator, starter, etc.)
Does this $1000 include the new exhaust system? (probably not)
Suspension upgrades?
ECM?

There's alot more stuff than this too that you have to consider when doing a swap.
I really think getting a Mustang GT would be the wisest move. Sell or trade your Mustang, and combine that with your insurance check, and you'll have a sweet deal on the GT.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:49 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

i can answer a couple of the questions. The radiator in the GT and v6 share the same part number, along with the engine mounts.

itd be engine, trans, crossmember, trans mount, hardware, front suspension, driveshaft, rear end, ecm, tcm, and probably a few more electronics in the dash, including instrument cluster since the speedo output in the new trans will be designed for the 140mph dash, not the 120mph dash.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:44 PM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

why not a stroker motor and aluminum driveshaft? get some no2 , alot of no2 and see how many bottles you can run through the stock setup before it grenades, it'll be like a test, and you can tell us youre experience and if no2 is worth it. if you got a ton of money i know maximum motorsports is working on an independent front and rear suspesion, with coilovers fron an rear ( some how they dont use the front strut mounts) you might not be able to kick *** in a straight line but at least you will be able to corner with the bimmers
Old 08-18-2006, 02:44 PM
powerProdigy
2nd Gear Member

oh..... nay

Quick Reply: Engine Swap for V8 - Yay or Nay?