Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Turbo charger for the v6

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 03:21 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo charger for the v6

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

ORIGINAL: petepete

It is made by powerhouse
Its a Precision pt61, which I believe is a modified garret turbo. PH colaborated with percision, built the system around it, and the tune which is a majority of the R&D. The tube diameter, research, intake, intercooler and layout are PH design/mfg.
Wow theres something i didnt know. Kind of disappointing but oh well o_O
Old 08-19-2006, 03:23 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Why is that a dissapointment?

It is made by powerhouse
Its a Precision pt61, which I believe is a modified garret turbo. PH colaborated with percision, built the system around it, and the tune which is a majority of the R&D. The tube diameter, research, intake, intercooler and layout are PH design/mfg.
Wow theres something i didnt know. Kind of disappointing but oh well o_O
Old 08-19-2006, 03:28 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

I dunno its just me i like to deal straight with main manufactures of a unit and if i want to do modifcations to the unit i like to do it myself. Like i would never buy a paxton supercharger because it is just a vortech you know what i mean? Nothing bad with it i just dont liek to
Old 08-19-2006, 05:08 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I dunno its just me i like to deal straight with main manufactures of a unit and if i want to do modifcations to the unit i like to do it myself. Like i would never buy a paxton supercharger because it is just a vortech you know what i mean? Nothing bad with it i just dont liek to
Well, garret is in a lot of turbo kits out there. They don't make a kit for the 4.0. What kind of modifications are you planning to make? Are you familiar with tuning cars?
Old 08-19-2006, 05:27 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

LOL Actually petepete, Paxton is not just a Vortech. Paxton has been making superchargers for over 60 years. As a matter of fact the original Shelby Cobras used Paxton superchargers and the CS6 V6 uses a Paxton supercharger developed especially for Shelby Automotive for use in the Mustang 4.0L CS6. This is not an off the shelf unit and makes 350 - 375HP. The housing is stamped "Shelby Automotive" and the unit is a patented Paxton NOVI (not a Vortech design) and can be purchased through Hillbank. Vortech and Paxton were bought by a group of investors and merged as one company in 1998. As a matter of fact, Lidio at Alternative Auto was one of Vortech's first installers in 1991. Just a little info that might help you decide that Paxton is not so bad after all.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:47 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Well, garret is in a lot of turbo kits out there. They don't make a kit for the 4.0. What kind of modifications are you planning to make? Are you familiar with tuning cars?
by modding my own i mean having my buddy do it :P His shop builds custom turbos and what not never have used one though

Thanks for the info on the paxton i always been under the impression their thesame thing
Old 08-19-2006, 07:20 PM
bluhawkshockey31
2nd Gear Member

twinturbomustang Date 8/19/2006 1:01:19 AM
mmmm 4000 thats alitlte stiff is there ANYTHING eltce??
Sorry but if you think thats a little stiff on price...your not gonna have urself a blower or a turbo....
Old 08-19-2006, 07:32 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

the procharger is a bit cheaper some places sell for like 3500 or so but thtas like 4k with tax o_O<--- no a turbo though
Old 08-19-2006, 09:43 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ya the procharger is cheaper by $500 but it makes a lot less hp, and a lot less torque, and its all in the upper rpm range compared to the turbo.

The days of turbo companies makin turbo kits direct is long gone. Its all aftermarket shops using a certain turbo and fitting it to your cars application.

and what the hell is there to modify? If you want more boost, u change out the spring. ...... different wastegate, change the wastegate.... not a whole lot of "modyfing" to do.
If he makes custom turbokits, then have him make one. itd be the same thing as buyin it from powerhouse. He will start with a garrett/precision/t3/t4/t5 whatever turbo, and build around it. Its just how its done.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:44 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

The Tail 38mm waste is also not made by Powerhouse and is regarded as a quality unit. So in essence the PowerHouse turbo system is built around the Precision PT 61 and the Tail 38mm wastegate both high quality components. This turbo system also has over a year of track time (+R&D) on it which has proven itself. This all makes this one very high quality turbo system for the 4.0 not to mention the support during install and after from Powehouse if needed.

Quick Reply: Turbo charger for the v6