Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Roots Style Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 07:23 AM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Roots Style Supercharger

you are just a bundle of information arent you scrming
Old 10-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Storm_Dragon

Well Im new to this mustang forum but not neccesarily new to Supercharged vehicles. Particularly fords. Fisrt of I wanted to reply to thrills statement "as i don't know of any v6 twin-screw out for any car." Im not calling you out one bit on this but just wanted to pass along some info for you. There are some not many but few twin screws available for V6 cars. I just recently bought my buddies 91 thunderbird SC that happens to have a 1.7L AR twinscrew. Also know that a few other SC owners have made upgrades to twinscrews as well. My SC competition out east has a 2.2L AR TS. Like I said im not calling you out. Just posting to let you know thata few do actually exist. As far as supercharging witha roots or roots style blower aka twinscrews (yes it is a root style blower but only because of the way it mounts), its not so much of is the sc made for my car. The thing is any roots would about work. Its not so much the charger itself as the length of the nose shaft and the lower intake. the twinscrew on my car wasnt specifiacally made for it but was a close close match to the lower that we did very little machining to bolt it on. Also when you add an sc particularly a roots, you wanna watch how much compression your engine has before and after the install. I had another friend thought it would be a good idea to bump his compression to 13.5:1 and add a Kennebell twinscrew with 22 lbs of boost. It was funny to watch the expression on his face after he blew up. We tore the block down and couldnt really figure out what happened till i compared his head bolts to the new ones. His original bolts stretched a 1/2 inch from the pressure and his 2000 dollar heads (cheap chevy parts my ***) were warped. Just food for thought. Ill ask around my SC forums to some experienced ford sc builders and see if they know of anyone doing custom machining like that. OBTW my SC I bought from my friend was dynoed bout 2 months before I bought it. Of course alot of mods were added but with a twinscrew the HP went up from 422 to 476 RWHP. And thats a 3.8L SC block. So if we can figure out a 4.0, its would be quite easy to run on stock Vettes. Just food for thought
Old 10-08-2006, 04:18 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

Talking about twin screws, awhile ago I was researching and had read in a Ford Ranger 4.0 forum they talked about it would be possible to custom fab a Kenne Bell twin screw supercharger 1.7L or 1.5L KB supercharger to the 4.0 if someone wanted to.

One example of what a KB TS supercharger can do on a V6 4.0L.

Jeep Wrangler V6 4.0
Stock rwhp 148HP
Stock Tq 201

KB 1.33L Supercharger ( 1.33L KB super charger smaller than the 1.5, 1.7 mentioned above for the Ford Mustang 4.0.
Jeep Wrangler V6 4.0
Running only at 8.5psi.
252-RWHP
Tq- 362 FT. LBS!!!!!

Ok with the larger KB 1.5 or 1.7 on a Ford 4.0?

You might be looking at IMO @ 8.5psi around 340rwhp and around 390 ft lbs on a Mustang 4.0.
KB claims 72% increase with thier S/C’s.

The above figures for the Mustang 4.0 were caluculated on a manual trans Mustang 4.0 using a base of 200rwhp then factoring in a 70% increase vers claim of 72% increase.

Don’t forget the twin screw has the advange of the hp & tq curve (shelf) along with the numbers above instant boost vers centi and turbo..

Old 10-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Storm_Dragon

Good find TJ and did you see some of the specs on that jeep TS. HOLY **** one aplication was about a 120% gain. Anyways like your car. IM thinking of ordering an 07 premium with pony package and interior upgrade package. Couldnt put that on my sig for space though.