Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

COld Air w/out Tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 AM
opticalveracity
2nd Gear Member

Default COld Air w/out Tuner?

Guys , i got a friend with an 06 windsviel blue v6 who has a xcal2 with S & B cold air, and he is taking it off, its 2 weeks old, he'll sell it to me tomorow for 200 bucks and well i dont have a tune and im not getting the tune until first week of october *thats when ill have the money to blow* and well , i was told by a person that even a cold aair that doesnt need a tune to work for my car is pointless without the tune? well is that true? if so will it help at all? what should i do...wait , save my money and get the tune with cai first week of october or just buy this one since he lives by me and i can get it, he'll install it and boom im done! then just get the tune....what do u think? also anyone with the s and b cold air??? also what is the best cold air and tuner pakage? anyone have the steeda cold air with xcal 2?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:52 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Default RE: COld Air w/out Tuner?

Not really and expert but there are a few that require a flash (tune) and those other CAI's that don't. Most do require a tune do to the difference in the air that is now coming into the motor. I'd ask the seller about a tune before you buy.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:55 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Well almost all aftermarket CAI's will improve performance depending on what brand you could expect to see 7-10hp. So you will see some improvements but you get better gains if you have the tuner as well. I would save the money and buy CAI/Tuner combo. Good packages are usually the C&L CAI and SCT II Tuner from Alternative Auto, Brenspeed, Bamachips, Evolution. There is also Tunable Induction which is a good brand. Those would be some good choices but i would definately save and buy the package, youll be happy you did.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:57 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

And also i dont know about the steeda cai because i havent talked to anyone who has installed it. Pretty much the most popular is the C&L SCTII combo which everyone i talked to is real happy with it. I would get that its got some of the best reviews.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:07 AM
opticalveracity
2nd Gear Member

thanks dude! i dont know what im going to do! i wanna buy it cause i have no g'dam patience and i dont have to wait for it in the mail! why not get it, use it until i have enough mola for the package? how about that? ANYONE HAVE OR HEARD OF s&b cold air intake! check it out here
http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05AirFuel.htm

S&B Performance Intake Kit 05/06 V6

The S&B intake kit has been designed to improve vehicle performance while still utilizing OEM software and the Mustang's mass air flow sensor. This enables the kit to be quickly and easily installed. The intake kit offers a special eight-layer filter that has been designed to smooth the air flow, allowing the MAF sensor to read evenly. The large volume intake tube dramatically reduces restriction and improves throttle response, enabling a significant horsepower gain. Pictured is GT system. #75-5004

$205.99

thanks!

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

And also i dont know about the steeda cai because i havent talked to anyone who has installed it. Pretty much the most popular is the C&L SCTII combo which everyone i talked to is real happy with it. I would get that its got some of the best reviews.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:19 AM
opticalveracity
2nd Gear Member

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/05v6snb.htm

read up!

S & B Filters Performance Intake Kit:

More Air = More Power. S & B Filters cool air intakes really do increase horsepower and improve fuel economy and are backed by a Million Mile Warranty.

Kit includes a lifetime washable & reusable high flow air filter, custom designed air box to isolate the filter from engine heat, a clear inspection lid to chck the filter service interval, a high quality cross linked polyethylene intake tube and box with stainless steel hardware. S & B Filters are tested to ISO 5011 Filtration Standard. Manufactured in the U.S.A. Tested to a Higher Standard.

Easy at home installation with easy to follow instructions included and can be installed in just minutes with simple hand tools.

Note: This is the only air system on the market that truly does add 14 HP without ANY computer tuning
Old 09-15-2006, 04:22 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Only problem is someone told me that the S&B doesnt work well with the SCTII tuner but im not sure how true that is....I would say just hold out as long as you can because ull save money buying the combo instead of buying the intake for $200 then buying the kit, but thats just me.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:02 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Hmmm ... The S&B looks just like the K&N CAI I just installed ... except for the plastic window ..... How can K&N claim 7 HP and S&B claim 14 HP for the same looking CAI?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:42 AM
boss 244
3rd Gear Member

I have the S&B and the C&L, the C&L is better. When I bought the S&B it was only$150, I see the price has gone up. The S&B has poor directions and flops around a lot after installing. The S&B 'box' that covers the filter is open to the engine compartment. The S&B will work on a non tuned car also,(but I don't know if it is too lean) The C&L won't work on a non tuned car.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:47 PM
opticalveracity
2nd Gear Member

just installed! im loving it! i love the look with the clear box window! also , the cars exhaust ( i have a single gt take off axle back) sounds much throatier and the volume has increased! so as for the sound im loving it, and the performance i can feel the diff...um, i am going to UPR to get my tune in 2 weeks, i hope thats not true about the s&b not working with SCT cause my friend, i mentioned in the begining of my first post is in his 40s , and knows his car well, owns an 06 and had this s&b on his with the xcal2 tune from sct , that he got from UPR in lakeworth ,florida also with thier tunes, so yah, it works ! anyways, thats the next thing , i wanna get some agressive shifts, that will make me chirp when i floor it wide open throttle, tell him i want that or is thier a more professional name for that tune? what do u mean the s & n has poor directions and flops around? what does that mean....the s and b box meaing the clear cover is c thru correct? it is....my car isnt tune and it works fine....i dont know how to find out of it runs lean........i know the c and l wont work on a non tuned..its funny , c and l and s and b sound the same ! hahah thanks guys
ORIGINAL: boss 244

I have the S&B and the C&L, the C&L is better. When I bought the S&B it was only$150, I see the price has gone up. The S&B has poor directions and flops around a lot after installing. The S&B 'box' that covers the filter is open to the engine compartment. The S&B will work on a non tuned car also,(but I don't know if it is too lean) The C&L won't work on a non tuned car.

Quick Reply: COld Air w/out Tuner?