Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Why don't all intakes require a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default Why don't all intakes require a tune?

What is different about the AEM, Air Raid, and K&N filtercharger intakes that make them not require a tune like the C&L or JLT intakes?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:22 AM
ScreaminYellow
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Why don't all intakes require a tune?

I was going to pose the same question
Old 10-17-2006, 03:27 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

they dont flow as much air.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:36 AM
torchred05V6mustang
1st Gear Member

+1 ^
Old 10-17-2006, 03:47 AM
Pyrat
3rd Gear Member

I think the operational term here is "require". Some CAIs seem to flow enough air that they require a tune mod, others do not achieve enough flow to require modification. That is not to say that a tune mod would not optimize the the performance of the CAI. It probably really comes down to economics. The gain from modifying the tune for a given CAI that doesn't require a tune mod may not be economically viable.

From what I've read from some of the dyno tuners, the big gain isn't the tube, but the less restrictive filter. The dyno was showing about a 1 HP gain by replacing the tube on any CAI. Kind of surprising since you would think the smother contour of some of the aftermarket CAI tubes would be much better than the stock unit, but it's hard to argue with the data.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:09 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

The need for a tune comes down to the MAF housing size.

If the MAF housing size is the same as stock, the car's computer will be able to correctly read the amount of air coming in, and adjust the fuel correctly.

With units like the C&L, the MAF housing is freaking HUGE. It's at least a good inch bigger than stock.

The MAF has 2 wires, 1 open to air, 1 closed. It heats both wires up to something like 250 degrees. The wire open to the air cools off, while the closed in wire does not. The car's computer measures the difference in voltage it takes to keep each wire at this temperature. The difference in voltage tells the car how much air is coming in.

If you increase your MAF housing size, the MAF's exposed wire will not get as much air hitting it (more area for the air to flow in the MAF housing), hence it will not cool as fast.
This makes the car think it's getting a lot less air than it actually is. Your car adds fuel based on the air it thinks it's getting, and your car runs VERY VERY lean.

My car won't even run on the stock tune anymore.

The biggest bottlenecks on the stock intake are the MAF housing and the air filter itself. This is why the CAI's that require a retune also generally gain more horsepower/torque. The CAI's that do not require a retune only address the air filter restriction.

(Yes there is some restriction in the stock tube due to all the folds, but not much)
Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

If it does not need a tune, it isn't worth it. Even the tuned CAI deliver only modest gains. NO tune means almost no gain.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:11 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LX200

If it does not need a tune, it isn't worth it. Even the tuned CAI deliver only modest gains. NO tune means almost no gain.
The K & N Aircharger does not require a tune, and it claims a little more than a 7hp gain (7.54hp to be exact, they have the dyno sheet on their website). Furthermore, it definitely reduced my throttle lag by itself, and now with my tuner, the car drives phenomenally. Now, considering it was about $200 less than a C & L, was it still "not worth it?"
Old 10-17-2006, 06:36 PM
pat6674u
3rd Gear Member

Most XCAL/ C&L combos are tuned specifically for the intake, therefore the tune and gains will be more simply because they complement each other. The price on the combo is between $550 and $650, with the tuner accounting for $400 of the price. My question is how did you save $200 on a K&N since I'm pretty sure they rune around $200 to start with?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:54 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

The throttle lag is a software issue, not an airflow issue. As for their dyno sheets, there are dealers out there who claim a throttle body spacer makes 20 HP.... meanwhile, several shops have tested them and seen no improvement AT ALL. I seriously doubt a drop in filter makes 7 HP difference. Just my opinion, but shared by many others.

My advice remains the same..... get a CAI and tuner to get the max benefit, and don't waste money on a drop-in. My opinion.

Quick Reply: Why don't all intakes require a tune?