Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

How To:V6 to GT XPIPE CONV. W/All FORD PARTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 09:51 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How To:V6 to GT XPIPE CONV. W/All FORD PARTS

Keep in mind that they are showing how to remove the GT's H-pipe and replace it with an X. What you will be doing will be similar, but not exactly the same. Here are the other two pages:

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/6596A5DB66AE4911A1F6E88520FFFCA4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/53184/C8A0D750DEAB43D081BF9BD1C778B7B8.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-20-2006, 12:58 AM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 68XR7
Keep in mind that they are showing how to remove the GT's H-pipe and replace it with an X.
Hey 68XR7,
Thank you for your research, you made my mind up on what set-up to use as far as going duals[sm=redx.gif]Pipe..............what I can't understand is why someone replace the H-pipe for an X-pipe...............their must be an advantage to the X over the H...
Old 11-20-2006, 01:51 AM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

less restriction, but not as great a sound
Old 11-20-2006, 01:54 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

I believe the X is more efficient at higher RPMs. You should go to Professor Wizards thread called:" crossover exhaust pipe explained... " I learned a lot from it. It is also the same thread that got me wondering about the harmonic buzz. When I got my system put in, I was relieved to find that this wasn't a problem, at least in my case. Check it out. It should answer some questions for you. Dave
Old 11-20-2006, 12:58 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: afixer

my only concern is the welded x. i have had the duals for over a year now and actually had to remove them once already so i would highly recomend the clamps. my pipes dont leak and remember thats the way ford does it so whats the big problem with them. it bugs me that installers keep pushing this sp you have to go back to them if you have a prob. tranny ,driveshaft, gas tank all these things require the pipes removed although you can remove the driveshaft with some work. overall good job glad you like them i did mine in june of last year the car sounds great and really looks better from the rear with both in my opinion
im with you on this one man, i did it all myself and i did it 100% like factory, not any welded pieces or anything. it uses the stock clamps, hangers, etc, and it makes it a breeze to work on. i recently had to rebuild my transmission, and doing it the right way made things that much easier.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:48 PM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

Hey so do you think it would be better to buy an x-pipe and the mid pipe for the duals at lpc ford or have the shop fabricate the pipes?

Also, i got your pm and tried pm'in you back but it wouldnt let me for some reason, said you dont receive pm's
Old 11-20-2006, 11:26 PM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

Hey so do you think it would be better to buy an x-pipe and the mid pipe for the duals at lpc ford or have the shop fabricate the pipes?

Also, i got your pm and tried pm'in you back but it wouldnt let me for some reason, said you dont receive pm's
I think that if you can get parts from Ford, you might as well do it. I've heard that the sharp bend above the axle is kinda hard to fabricate. Remember, that if you have Dave get the pipe, you need to remind him that you are a Forum member and I told you that he would match a price of $84.77. If you don't tell him this, you might get charged suggested retail, which is over one hundred bucks. Also, I got quotes from the muffler shop to fabricate a pipe for me. By the time it was all done, It cost less to use the Ford pipe than it would have cost to have him build one. As it was I was in and out inside of an hour and they charged me $79. for the install. They said if I wanted them to build the pipe, they would charge me $200. So I saved $121. by buying the $84.77 pipe. I'll try to fix that pm problem. Thanks, Dave
Old 11-21-2006, 04:06 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

The scott talked to dave and ya he said he can give it to me for $84 but also if you get the ford parts the x-pipe is $130 so i dont know what way would be better for the price, i assume i should just get the pipe and the x. I just gotta find an x on ebay now.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:56 AM
68XR7
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

The scott talked to dave and ya he said he can give it to me for $84 but also if you get the ford parts the x-pipe is $130 so i dont know what way would be better for the price, i assume i should just get the pipe and the x. I just gotta find an x on ebay now.
That is what I paid for my X. I guess if you can get it all in one place, you might as well. I think that it would be cheaper for you to pay the sales tax on the $130. than it would to pay the shipping on the X-pipe off ebay. Besides, it's a really nice X-pipe. Did you have to buy hangers, or are you going to move the one over and have them fab up a couple of new ones? By the way, Who is "The Scott"?
Old 12-05-2006, 12:52 AM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

Hi! 68XR7.
I had my dual exhaust installed on Saturday. It costs a little high, but I like it. I feel it shift better and quieter, especially at speed over 70 mph. The car is stronger. No drone. But, it still resonates at 1500 rpm like before with 1 exhaust.
I bought mid pipe $87.79, 2 brackets $101.68, X pipe $ 155.90, GT muffler take off $ 80. The prices are included shipping. I cut the bumper, mount 2 brackets. At first, the tip of the left muffler pointed to the center. I had to bend the 2 hangers to make it straight. The labor for installing is expensive ( $ 140 ). It is expensive maybe because I live at Silicon Valley, CA.
They cut the pipes after CAT and slided the X pipe in, then they slide midpipes in the X at other ends and weld them. I asked them to weld to make sure no leak.
Thank you for everything.

Quick Reply: How To:V6 to GT XPIPE CONV. W/All FORD PARTS