Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Review: Installed Flowmaster American Thunder last night

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 11:30 AM
VinUnleaded

Default Review: Installed Flowmaster American Thunder last night

INSTALLTION:
I purchased a Flowmaster American Thunder muffler/exhaust system and had my local Ford dealer install it last night.
I am glad I had them install it, as contrary to what seems to be a simple task of removing the old, transferring the hangers, and installing the new is not all that easy.
In fact, the experieced installer had to remove and then reinstall part of the main exhaust system to install the flowmaster.
Took him over an hour...
Thus, unless you now what you are doing and have the right tools as well as time.....get a proffessional to install it.
The cost was $44.

SOUND:
As soon as I started the car with my door open I could here apositive difference.
Louder at start, more aggreasive and deeper both inside and outside the car.
At idle outside the car, there was a pleasant tone from the exhaust, while inside the car it was quiet exceot for a low subtle deep sounding throb.
Upon reving the engine in neutral a raspy growl was heard with popping sounds at the end of the rev, which the installer seemed to like.
The installer also said it sounded better than a V6 dual exhaust whichi based on his experiences ann his opinion did not sound good....
Inside the car between 2000 and 3500rpms, the sound tone is much louder, and has a staccato growl...
not sure about outside....
When idling at a traffic light its quiet inside the car, but press the accelerator and you are rewarded with a pleasant yet aggreasive growl.
At highway speed the pitch of the exhaust note depends on gear.
I have the 5 spd manual trannie, thus in 5th gear at 65mph there is a higher more steady pitch upon accelerating, but when cruising its quiet.
Down shift and the pitch and volume increases.
In conclusion this is a muffler that is loud when it needs to be and quiet when it needs to be.
The sweetspot for my driving habit was between 2k and 3500k rpms.
I was very very pleased atthe sound in that range.
Also, the sound overall is night and day better than stock.
A civic with a droning muffler passed me on the HOV and I can say that in comparison there is no drone.
Obviously, the V8 is better sounding, but for V6 owners I would highly recommend the flowmaster american thunder muffler/exhaust kit.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Black06stang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Review: Installed Flowmaster American Thunder last night

Do you have the single American thunder or the duals?

I have the duals, and they sound even better when they become broken in!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:48 PM
bwm264

It took me all of 30 minutes and didn't have to do anything other than remove the 4 hangers, remove the clamp on the mid pipe and replace. Not sure why the dealer had to do anything other than that. It's easy as long as you can jack the car up and put it on jack stands or ramps and chock the front wheels. It takes a 15mm and 13mm wrench/socket to loosen all the bolts. Of course I used a creeper so I wouldn't get dirty .

Bill
Old 12-22-2006, 03:00 PM
VinUnleaded

Thanks, I am not sure why he had to do the extrawork...
So you are happy with your duals? Thats great!
I would have liked to go that route but justification and money was scare...maybe down the road.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

very nice man.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:20 AM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

My single Flowmaster AT should be here on Tuesday! I'll probably go to get it installed same day or next day because I figured i could do it myself but now I doubt it. I'll get some pics/clips when I have it installed.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:40 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07

My single Flowmaster AT should be here on Tuesday! I'll probably go to get it installed same day or next day because I figured i could do it myself but now I doubt it. I'll get some pics/clips when I have it installed.
You can probably do it yourself, maybe VinUnleaded's boy was just having a bad day. That was the first story I've ever heard of any aftermarket exhaust being especially troublesome to install on these cars.

And if you get a mechanic to do it, he'll be the first one to ever hear that nice roar when he starts your car to test it. Much better to do it yourself, then you can learn a little more about the underside of your car, and be the first person to ever hear your Pony growl.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:16 AM
Johnnydayz
1st Gear Member

I have had no experience what so ever with cars at all! I installed the muffler and CAI all on my own and it is a very satisfying affair when you hear the end results. The sucking sound of the CAI with the Muffler having a deeper tone is awesome. I have a GT take-off as I got the set of mufflers with only 20 miles on them for $20. It sounds great with no drone, but i'm still looking for a slighty louder sound. I do have to agree that the Flowmaster AT sound awesome as I heard another V6 drive by and was surprised and very please with the sound. so to Vinunleaded, i say "great choice!!" now is only flowmaster could match the HP benefits of an MRT or GT-Takeoff.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:33 AM
VinUnleaded

Here is an update....
I drove my car to NY..about 300 miles each way.
At highway speed 65-85mph when you have your foot on the gas to maintain speed in 5th gear (I have a manual), there is a constant sound...I would not call it a drone per se, such as the fart can mufflers the 4 cyl imports use, but its not as pleasant as the staccato growl you get in the lower gears.
However, when I downshift into 4th and accelerate at hwy speed the nice growl is back.
Thus, my only complaint is that there is a 5th speed hwy speed "deep" drone(?), but its only unpleaqsant relative to the other sounds from this muffler..thus I can live with it.
Also, the muffler can be loud at times, nit in an unpleasant way, but in a way that u knows its there, i.e. 2k-3k rpms...you have to talk louder to your passenger.