Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Speedometer Calibration...

Old 12-24-2006, 01:02 AM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Default Speedometer Calibration...

Hello All,[sm=helpout.gif]
Wondering how would you go about calibrating speedo....................I have read where you can change setting on a tuner for gear change...........I am changing to 373's and going to a 255/45/18...........what would be the method of calibrating your speedo.......I went to a shop that calibrates speedo's and he said upward around $550.00....................I think this guy was smokin something.................anyway any knowledge would be appreciated!!!

Have a nice Holiday and hopewives and girlfriends pop for mods on the wonderful day!!!!

Cheers!

Eddie
Old 12-24-2006, 02:07 AM
4.0 Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Speedometer Calibration...

If you have the tuner, all you have to do is plug it into your car, hit adjust parameters and change the gearratio to 3.73
Old 12-24-2006, 04:29 AM
Speed demon 331

Hello gents. I thought I knew the answer but maybe I am wrong. I thought that all you had to dowas find out the diference between standard calibration of rear gear to tireO.D.ratio and your customized rear gear to tire O.D.ratio. This allows you to find the difference in drive line rotaions, per every one turn of the rear tires, and the distance achieved by the rear tires, per rotation. Once you have the twonumerical values of the rotations per distance of the rear tires to driveline rotaion.You can properly change the vehicle speed sensor gear to adjust for the difference, it would make cpu reprograming unnecessary. If I remember correctly a new speedo gear runs about 12 dollars and takes a 3/8 ths wrench to change. If I am right it would only take a simple calculation and cost 12 dollars fora gear. If this doesn't make sense or I am totally wrong let me know.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Speed demon 331

Hello gents. I thought I knew the answer but maybe I am wrong. I thought that all you had to dowas find out the diference between standard calibration of rear gear to tireO.D.ratio and your customized rear gear to tire O.D.ratio. This allows you to find the difference in drive line rotaions, per every one turn of the rear tires, and the distance achieved by the rear tires, per rotation. Once you have the twonumerical values of the rotations per distance of the rear tires to driveline rotaion.You can properly change the vehicle speed sensor gear to adjust for the difference, it would make cpu reprograming unnecessary. If I remember correctly a new speedo gear runs about 12 dollars and takes a 3/8 ths wrench to change. If I am right it would only take a simple calculation and cost 12 dollars fora gear. If this doesn't make sense or I am totally wrong let me know.
These cars do not have the plastic gear as in the past it is electronic sensor you have to with a tuner and change the setting to the gear you are running.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:15 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

4liter6 forgot to reply to your pm so here is the info.

You can adjust for under tire selection and choose between these settings.
205/65/15 to 315/35/19
Old 12-24-2006, 10:41 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Hello Krazer,
This would be on the x-cal II tuner...............................?

Have a nice holiday!!!

Cheers!

Old 12-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Krazer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 4LITER6

Hello Krazer,
This would be on the x-cal II tuner...............................?

Have a nice holiday!!!

Cheers!

The X-Cal 2, Livewire and Diablo Sportall can adjust for tire size the above listed sizes are for the X-Cal 2 and Livewire I am not sure of exact sizechoicesfor the Diablo Sport.

Happy holidays
Old 12-24-2006, 11:33 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

Hello Krazer..................thanks for a piece of mind..................doing alot of Mods, just don't want get into the cart before horse syndrome..................oh, yeah I am working on a horse!!!

I love this place.................I can run in this place.................I want to run hard and run fast!!!

[sm=guilty.gif]
Old 12-24-2006, 11:41 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

I believe a competent Ford dealership can reflash your car for the gear change... I think i've heard somewhere between $50 and $100...