Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Which single exhaust muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Brewster

Default RE: Which single exhaust muffler

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Still researching mufflers/exhaust. Found this http://www.jbaheaders.com/articles/50Mustang_306.pdf

Looks like JBA shorty headers and single muffler got a lot of torque and HP. This has got me a little confused because I have read a lot of opinions that the headers yield very little or no gain on the V6. Is it the muffler that got the gains (if I am reading it right it looks like 17 HP at 5600 RPM) Is this test credible ?

I am wondering if it is that the muffler is the bottleneck ? Why didnt they install a JBA dual exhaust system ?

Old 01-05-2007, 06:04 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

People say you can gain 10 rwhp from adding a mrt muffler and 7 or so rwhp from a gt takeoff. Headers havent proven to show no gain they just dont show too much of a gain for the price. It seems like your looking for a gt muffler. Deeper not loud and gains. I liked it when i had it.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:11 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

I recently read that the JBA single is a pretty good overall choice performance and noise wise. Quietest of them all from what I read.

However,,,,,,,,

I would think that simply adding a better flowing muffler to the single exhaust would only produce a minor improvement in overall V.E. (Volumetric Efficiency). That seems to be the case.
The real improvement comes in after one re-programs the MCU with an aftermarket performance program.
Then the better flowing muffler will show it's stuff as it will have much less back pressure when you have your foot in it! ;-).
Just my opinion but I'm soon to find out for myself.

I am also considering purchasing a GT rear bumper cover and converting the exhaust system to true duals. I'll probably weld an X pipe in myself after the cats to keep it emissions legal which I don't mind. I really dont' want a loud exhaust system so I'll stick with the OEM mufflers in any case.
I know that by adding dual exhaust I'll cut the back pressuremore than in half and still keepthe db's down respectfully.
the backpressure isn't going to change from a tune . you will gain more after tuning, but that is NOT because of a change in back pressure. You get gains from that without tuning.

so far it seems like mrt puts down the biggest gains, but it is very loud. i personally love it, but if you don't want LOUD it is not for you.
Did you even read my post? Obviously, 'and even a total beginner should realize this', a tune isn't going to change back pressure. Geesh!
Then pretty much means after, so when you say this-
"The real improvement comes in after one re-programs the MCU with an aftermarket performance program.
Then the better flowing muffler will show it's stuff as it will have much less back pressure when you have your foot in it!"

you are literally saying that AFTER the tune it will have much less back pressure. that will confuse many on this board and as this board is for beginners to learn things and people that know to share with those beginners, don't be sassy when someone corrects you.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:50 PM
ILuvPonies

Just installed my GT takeoff on Friday evening (ok, I didn't install it - my awesome hubbie did). I am VERY happpy with it - no noticeable gains in MPG, but there's a definite improvement in horsepower/performance. And - I LOVE the sound. I have the left side to install when I decide if I want to go dual or not, but for now it's perfect.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 PM
james4litre

well you could go with no muffler like i did it sounds great and is free (probaly illegal)
and should I unhook the battery cable to reflash it? hhmmmm? Here is a video of my car but its wet and kinda spins a lot. but notice the sound my friend says it sounds like a ferrari but i dont know
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/8...ba001dfde1.htm
Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

haha, after I took my stock exhaust off I played around with my muffler-less Mustang a while before the Flowmaster went on.

No muffler = LOUD. As in, you will get pulled over by the cops kind of loud. As for a Ferrari sound, I didn't think so at all. It was just really loud and really ballsy sounding. A Ferrari is more of a whiney race-car sound, which I think is best copied with an MRT exhaust. No muffler on your V6 is fun though if you happen to be changing your exhaust.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Stolen 98
1st Gear Member

Brewster---I have an MRT for you for $175 shipped.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Pimpin Pony
2nd Gear Member

It seems to me that most people on here that go with a single exhaust go with MRT, I knew I wanted dual so I went with Flowmaster AT. I just put one on for awhile untill I got everything worked out to dual out my exhaust. I think it sounded ok with just one Flowmaster, but much better with 2. All of the clips I have heard of the MRT it is pretty loud. I think 2 Flowmasters sound better than 1 MRT, but that is just my opinion. If you are wanting to do something cost effective and still change the sound and give you a little more power and MPG then a GT takeoff is probably the way to go. You wont see the gains of an MRT or dual Flowmasters, but to be honest, you really arnt gonna see much of a difference in performance or MPG with just a muffler change. Most people actually claim a loss of MPG when they add a muffler because they seem to get a heavier foot because they like the sound
Old 02-16-2007, 02:22 AM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

For the three reqs you listed, it sounds like a Magnaflow would be the perfect fit. I put mine on recently, and it is deeper than stock, no drone, and isn't too loud either. As for power increase/gas mileage - it feels good to me, and I'm averaging 33 mpg on the expressway.

ORIGINAL: Brewster

Thinking of first upgrade, a new muffler. I would like a deeper sound, no drone, not too loud. I dont want it just for sound, but if a muffler will provide any power increase and/or gas mileage then I will do it.

Which single would be best for my wants and have you seen any power or mileage increase with your single exhaust upgrades ?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

So which is the loudest 4.0L Muffler, regardless of drone, everyone seems to have a different opinion?? -jon

Quick Reply: Which single exhaust muffler