Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Ordered a boost controller....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 02:43 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default Ordered a boost controller....

Well, seems the list for phase two wasn't enough.....so I ordered me one of these:

http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.co....html#Pro%20RX

Hallman Pro RX Boost Controller Kit

[blockquote] Quote:[/align] Originally Posted by Hallman[/align]
Kit Includes:

Hallman Pro Valve w/ ceramic ball, light and heavy springs included, 3 feet of vacuum line, mounting bracket, hardware kit and specific installation instructions.

Key features: Billet Aluminum, Anodized, Laser Engraved. Ceramic Ball and light spring for excellent control of boost up to 5 psi over stock boost level. Heavy spring also included for adding more than 5 psi over stock. Available in Black, Red, Blue or Purple. Can be upgraded to cockpit control with additional add-on kit.

[/align] [/align]
[/blockquote] I didn't get the kit to extend it into the inside of the car...because...well....I don't trust myself. I'll turn that sucker up and BOOM! LOL.

I know...I'm sick.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:43 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default Ordered a boost controller....

Double post.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:55 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Ordered a boost controller....

help me out here, does a boost controller allow you to set the psi that you're using on a turbo or blown car? i'm fuzzy on the actual mechanics of how it works, not only that i'm just on my second cup of coffee so my brain isn't quite there yet.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:33 PM
A_Sixer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

Well, seems the list for phase two wasn't enough.....so I ordered me one of these:

[blockquote]Quote:[/align] Originally Posted by Hallman[/align]
Kit Includes:

Hallman Pro Valve w/ ceramic ball, light and heavy springs included, 3 feet of vacuum line, mounting bracket, hardware kit and specific installation instructions.

Key features: Billet Aluminum, Anodized, Laser Engraved. Ceramic Ball and light spring for excellent control of boost up to 5 psi over stock boost level. Heavy spring also included for adding more than 5 psi over stock. Available in Black, Red, Blue or Purple. Can be upgraded to cockpit control with additional add-on kit.

[/align] [/align]
[/blockquote]
I didn't get the kit to extend it into the inside of the car...because...well....I don't trust myself. I'll turn that sucker up and BOOM! LOL.

I know...I'm sick.

Congrats!!!!

Again, how many Mills did you win on the lotto?

j/k......LOL
Old 01-06-2007, 04:10 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: omer333

help me out here, does a boost controller allow you to set the psi that you're using on a turbo or blown car? i'm fuzzy on the actual mechanics of how it works, not only that i'm just on my second cup of coffee so my brain isn't quite there yet.
Only for turbos to my knowledge. Heres a good definition of how the manual ones work (non-electronic) which is what I got:

A manual boost controller is placed in the path of the waste-gate's sensor. The controller bleeds off some of the pressure in the line so that the pressure measured at the waste gate is lower than actual. This tricks the waste gate into staying closed longer than usual so a higher level of boost is reached. They're really cheap to build, but the most important expense in this project is to getting accurate boost gauge. A little bit of bleed goes a long way and there is no way to tell where you are at without a proper gauge. DSMtuners has quite a few articles on how to build these devices and should work on almost all turbo cars.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:11 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: A_Sixer

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

[blockquote]Quote:[/align] Originally Posted by Hallman[/align]
Kit Includes:

[/align] [/align]
[/blockquote]
I didn't get the kit to extend it into the inside of the car...because...well....I don't trust myself. I'll turn that sucker up and BOOM! LOL.

I know...I'm sick.

Congrats!!!!

Again, how many Mills did you win on the lotto?

j/k......LOL
Hey hey. I wish. I actually got a good deal on it, kit goes for 120 bucks, got it for 80 + 6 bucks shipping on ebay.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:19 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

actually there are forms of boost controllers for blowers, but they do not turn the boost up. Mostly they are used with a small pulley that would reach a peak boost that is unsafe for the engine. the reason a boost controller is used in this situation is a smaller pulley will spin up faster and make boost faster, so running say a 12psi pulley and using boost control to make it stop building boost at ten would make for faster, better power delivery than using a 10psi pulley because the smaller pulley will actually make 10 psi faster.

boost controllers can be very useful, but you actually need alot of will power to safely have one. alot of dsm owners just blow their motors because everyone says, "they run rich stock so you can turn the boost up a psi and be fine and make good power." well this is true, but then people say, well the car seems to be running great ill just turn it up another notch, then another, then another. it's like changing nitrous jets without even having to change jets and you know that feeling rygen. For anyone with a boost controller, be very careful!
Old 01-06-2007, 05:44 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I knew you would have a more thorough explantion.
Old 01-06-2007, 05:53 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Cant you also lower your boost with one of those? I dont really know my friend says he does that with his sti but maybe hes just lower ing from the 5 above back down to stock. Again i dont know so noone kill me. o_O
Old 01-06-2007, 06:10 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

s.
ORIGINAL: petepete

Cant you also lower your boost with one of those? I dont really know my friend says he does that with his sti but maybe hes just lower ing from the 5 above back down to stock. Again i dont know so noone kill me. o_O
I think you technically can go lower boost than the spring is set for, but i can't see why you would.

Quick Reply: Ordered a boost controller....