Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

For those who change their own oil....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:52 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Default For those who change their own oil....

.... I have a two part question for you concerning the oil filter. Both questions I've been debating myself for awhile, but came up again today while buying the oil and oil filter and tonight while changing the oil in my garage (yes, it was cold, it's currently 26 here on the Eastern Shore of MD).

1) What brand and type of filter do you prefer and why? In my other cars, I've used every type of Fram they make (Extra Guard, Tough Guard, Extended Life, etc) and never really noticed a difference. I found myself buying the basic Fram again today, the only one I've put on the car since it's first oil change. If you've used something different, have you been able to tell the difference (car less doggy after a few thousand miles, etc, or whatever). I'm not sure if you'll be able to tell, quite honestly. Anyone with K&N oil filter? The mart that starts with "W" also carries our filter in Motorcraft, so I thought about that also.

2) Have you found a way to get the oil filter off without making a mess all over the frame that sits directly underneath? If so, what's your secret? Tonight I changed the filter from the top of the engine bay, which didn't seem as bad, but then it drips on the inside of the fender when you lift it out. Previously, I've removed it from underneath the car and also by turning the steering a hard left and taking it out from the wheel well. I've even tried having one side of the car up on the jackstand and the other one down to try to direct the oil flow. Still haven't decided what I like best, and all cause the remnants of the oil in the filter to run down the frame rail and on to the garage floor. Some people I've talked to around here suggested using cardboard to direct the oil, but that sounds messy. I've been changing oil starting with the family car since I was 8, which was about two decades ago, and this is the first vehicle I can't do without getting oil on the ground.

Thanks for the suggestions / inputs / ideas / help. And sorry for the long post, just wanted to get everything in. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

Default RE: For those who change their own oil....

mobil one filter/ oil is a good choice. Just changed jeep wrangler oil with that and it came out good, and seemed to run better.

havent changed the oil on this car yet. I usually just set a drip pan under neath the oil filter, and unscrew it lightly let the oil drip into the pan and then shove paper towels in it while it is on the last thread. '

Your car looks nice (great color lol)
Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 PM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

I use K&N.
Take a large ziplock freezer bag and put it around the filter when you unscrew it. Works like a charm... no mess.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:15 PM
nonstopred
5th Gear Member

^
|
good idea
Old 01-29-2007, 11:38 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I haven't changed the oil yet on my Mustang (my dealership does them for free with the extended warrenty plan), but when I used to do oil changes I used Fram filters because they have a black rubber grip on them which makes it much easier to tighten into place (especially since your hands are usually covered in oil and slippery.)

Generally, as long as you get a good quality filter, I don't think there's a huge difference from filter to filter. As long as it's grabbing stuff out of the oil, on a new car it probably doesn't really matter. The big difference in terms of the oil system is of course the oil, and not so much the filter.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:24 AM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the compliment. That trick won't work with the way our frames are. You'll see the first time you unscrew it.

<Forgot to quote nonstopred>
Old 01-30-2007, 12:27 AM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

I use K&N.
Take a large ziplock freezer bag and put it around the filter when you unscrew it. Works like a charm... no mess.
That's so simple it's great. I'm definately going to do that next time. Never thought of it, thanks! Notice anything diferent about the K&N?
Old 01-30-2007, 02:44 AM
GrayPony
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: birdoffire7

ORIGINAL: GrayPony

I use K&N.
That's so simple it's great. I'm definately going to do that next time. Never thought of it, thanks! Notice anything diferent about the K&N?
The 1" wrench nut on the bottom is handy :-)
Old 01-30-2007, 03:08 AM
HurricaneStang
4th Gear Member

I had this exact same question i heard mobil 1 is a great brand.

Quick question though, so to change your own oil and oil filter you get under the car loosen the filter bolt and drain the oil, change the filter and fill it back up with fresh oil?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:44 AM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HurricaneStang

I had this exact same question i heard mobil 1 is a great brand.

Quick question though, so to change your own oil and oil filter you get under the car loosen the filter bolt and drain the oil, change the filter and fill it back up with fresh oil?
You have to drain the oil pan first. Here's a how to do an oil change:

1) Jack car up and put on stands
2) Take out oil plug from oil pan to drain in a catch pan. Ours is located on the left of the pan looking at the front of the car.
3) After the oil stops coming out, replace oil plug.
4) Remove oil filter. Make sure catch pan is under it to catch the remaining oil in the filter.
5) Wipe contact area where oil filter gasket meets the engine with a paper towel to ensure it is clean.
6) Stick finger in new oil container, lubricate new oil filter ring to ensure a better seal easier take off. (This may be optional, but I've done it since Mobey Dick was a minnow).
7) Screw oil filter back on.
8) Take car off of stands.
9) Put 5qts of 5W-30 in to the engine.
10) Pour old oil from catch pan back in to oil container the new oil came from - take to Advance our W-mart to recycle.
11) Done. Start engine to check for leaks and circulate new oil before driving.

Quick Reply: For those who change their own oil....