Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Vortech Supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 12:36 PM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Default Vortech Supercharger!

Hi,

Alternative Auto is installingmy Vortech kit, as we speak, andshould be installed and tuned by this Wednesday. The car with a different pulley should make somewhere around 12psi. I'm not using the intercooler, continuing on with methanol injection for cooling. My goal is 320rwhp, but we shall see. I will post the results on Thursday or Friday.

I will also be adding the following: Steeda braided steel brake lines and Comp Eng adjustable rear shocks. I also ordered a cold air kit to be modified to work with the Vortech kit. I want to feed cold air into the blower, not consume underhood air. I hope to have it installed in the next few weeks or so.

Before going to the track this spring, I will be investing in a new driveshaft to be on the safe side. My track goal for 2007 is 12.90's in the 1/4 mile. I drive my car everyday snow,sun,rain,etc. so I need it reliable.

I will report back soon!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:12 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Vortech Supercharger!

dude.... for maximum reliability i highly reccomend you get an intercooler setup.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
REMMustang05
1st Gear Member

I Def. agree ^ Its what im running and i always feel safe with it.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:25 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

yea, meth is great, but you are running a fairly high amount of boost and if something were to go wrong with the meth you could have a big problem on your hands, plus you could likely see more power with the intercooler. If it were me, i wouldn't really get on it too hard until i had a proper intercooler setup.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

yea, meth is great, but you are running a fairly high amount of boost and if something were to go wrong with the meth you could have a big problem on your hands, plus you could likely see more power with the intercooler. If it were me, i wouldn't really get on it too hard until i had a proper intercooler setup.
He'll be just fine... trust me... Lidio knows exactly what's he's doing! You can build a lot of safety into the meth setup... Lido has been running a non-intercooled Vortech with meth for almost 2 years in his GT... his GT automatic that goes 10.9 on 20 inch street tires!!! LOL!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 996r916sps

Hi,

Alternative Auto is installingmy Vortech kit, as we speak, andshould be installed and tuned by this Wednesday. The car with a different pulley should make somewhere around 12psi. I'm not using the intercooler, continuing on with methanol injection for cooling. My goal is 320rwhp, but we shall see. I will post the results on Thursday or Friday.

I will also be adding the following: Steeda braided steel brake lines and Comp Eng adjustable rear shocks. I also ordered a cold air kit to be modified to work with the Vortech kit. I want to feed cold air into the blower, not consume underhood air. I hope to have it installed in the next few weeks or so.

Before going to the track this spring, I will be investing in a new driveshaft to be on the safe side. My track goal for 2007 is 12.90's in the 1/4 mile. I drive my car everyday snow,sun,rain,etc. so I need it reliable.

I will report back soon!
Very cool! I'm thinking if you get some good track tires you should be in the 12's.... What are you doing for the exhaust? I found that the cats were very restrictive... however without them the car really sound pretty bad... (i went back to the stock muffler for the winter! LOL)

I'm actually going ot have Lidio stick my 12 PSI pulley on in a couple of weeks... Not so much for the top end PSI but would like the boost to come on a bit earlier... LOL!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:46 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

Hi,

I will report back soon!
Very cool! I'm thinking if you get some good track tires you should be in the 12's.... What are you doing for the exhaust? I found that the cats were very restrictive... however without them the car really sound pretty bad... (i went back to the stock muffler for the winter! LOL)

I'm actually going ot have Lidio stick my 12 PSI pulley on in a couple of weeks... Not so much for the top end PSI but would like the boost to come on a bit earlier... LOL!

why not get a boost controller then? bleed off that boost after 10ish psi to keep it safe, but build it faster.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:11 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

We'll just set the shift points a tad bit lower... accomplishes basically the same thing...
Old 02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
996r916sps
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input.

This following information is only for the people whom wish to believe it. The Vortech intercooler is already known to be restrictive on the 4.6L GT. If anyone questions 12psi with methanol, check out the files on www.alternativeauto.com. I don't plan to have earth shattering dyno numbers, like 400rwhp. I won't know how much boost it will have until it's on the dyno tomorrow. An intercooled Vortech H.O kit that is rated at 10psi, actually makes 10.7psi at 6000rpm. Even the best intercoolers have a 1psi pressure drop, but the Vortech has been known to have almost a 2psi pressure drop. I ordered the H.O. pulley for my non-intercooled kit, so it will most likely make between 11-13psi. The reson for this is no pressure loss in a intercooler.

One other important this to note is, how often are you at 6000rpm? Most of my street driving is from 2500-4500rpm. Having a larger pulley will give you more boost where you usually drive. Don't get me wrong, you must have it tuned correctly for any rpm. But, most people are not running 6000rpm at every light.

Now, for the people who don't believe or understand. Methanol is my intercooler, so I'm not running a straight non-intercooled setup. Some people choose air/air, water/air, etc. I have just chosen this as my form of intercooling, my preference. The methanol controller can monitor many parameters. Mine will be setup to dump boost depending on intake temperatures, so there is no risk of a problem. The Vortech intercooled kit doesn't have a provision to do this, so what happens if your intake temp's rise over 140 degrees?

Anyway, all I can say is: wait and see. Maybe I see some of you at the track this spring/summer, and we will let our E.T.'s speak for themselves. Most of you should follow "Scrming", he knows the good and bad.

Good Luck to All!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the input.

This following information is only for the people whom wish to believe it. The Vortech intercooler is already known to be restrictive on the 4.6L GT. If anyone questions 12psi with methanol, check out the files on www.alternativeauto.com. I don't plan to have earth shattering dyno numbers, like 400rwhp. I won't know how much boost it will have until it's on the dyno tomorrow. An intercooled Vortech H.O kit that is rated at 10psi, actually makes 10.7psi at 6000rpm. Even the best intercoolers have a 1psi pressure drop, but the Vortech has been known to have almost a 2psi pressure drop. I ordered the H.O. pulley for my non-intercooled kit, so it will most likely make between 11-13psi. The reson for this is no pressure loss in a intercooler.

One other important this to note is, how often are you at 6000rpm? Most of my street driving is from 2500-4500rpm. Having a larger pulley will give you more boost where you usually drive. Don't get me wrong, you must have it tuned correctly for any rpm. But, most people are not running 6000rpm at every light.

Now, for the people who don't believe or understand. Methanol is my intercooler, so I'm not running a straight non-intercooled setup. Some people choose air/air, water/air, etc. I have just chosen this as my form of intercooling, my preference. The methanol controller can monitor many parameters. Mine will be setup to dump boost depending on intake temperatures, so there is no risk of a problem. The Vortech intercooled kit doesn't have a provision to do this, so what happens if your intake temp's rise over 140 degrees?

Anyway, all I can say is: wait and see. Maybe I see some of you at the track this spring/summer, and we will let our E.T.'s speak for themselves. Most of you should follow "Scrming", he knows the good and bad.

Good Luck to All!
Sound good... couple of comments though...

Last time I was at Lidio's we actually measured the "boost" for the first time...unfortunately we could not maintain a tach signal so the graph is in MPH... The RED run was NOT above 6000 RPM (might have been more like 5800), bu it shows that I hit 10PSI... so I really don't think there is 2 PSI drop... i'm thinking less than one...

You say "larger pully will give you more..."... you mean SMALLER.. I'm going from the 3.25 HO pulley to the 2.87 for exactly the reason you mention... See if we can get the boost to come on a little early so the Mistress can really dig out of the CORNERS!!! LOL!

Now, i know the meth will do an amazing job dropping the temps... but the Vortech water/air setup is actually pretty good... do you remember that heat wave last summer... my temps were staying pretty reasonable... I was having some issues but we solved it by moving the IAT from the stock location (before the supercharger!) to after the aftercooler (right before the TB). This gave us an accurate intake temp and we tuned for it... So while I don't dump boost when the temps climb to high, we do pull timing...

Looking forward to seeing your results!

Quick Reply: Vortech Supercharger!