Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

4.0 performance issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:52 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.0 performance issues

ORIGINAL: SOHCman

Does anyone else have a problem with detonation between 2500-3000 RPM?

Last night I was riding 4th with the OD locked out and lo and behold, there was the pinging again!

This morning it was pinging down around 2400RPM.

I have another appointment with the dealer tomorrow.

I also have the "new" design fuel pump.

Does anyone else have a problemlike this? Different RPM range?

Thanks

SOHC
How long have you been experiencing the pinging?
Could be something as simple as bad gasoline.
Try a different brand or grade.
Unless you have a performance tune you should not be hearing any pinging whatsoever.
Could also be a bad knock/ping sensor on the engine.
Other causes but more related to performance tunes are too sharp a global timing and fuel ratio curvesare out of calibration.
You can try higher octane fuel, one step up should be enough just to see if it is the fuel quality / grade you've been using.
Good luck!
Wolfey2k
Old 03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

By the way, I've had engine stalling a couple times. Well actually I call it petering out meaning it's still running but just barely and only on a few cylinders for several seconds after doing some hard bank turns etc.
I had to pull over once, shut the engine off and re-start to re-prime the fuel system. She fired right up and ran fine after that. I know the symptom very well and it was indeed fuel starvation and I supposedly have the latest fuel pump upgrade as I own an 07.
If it happens again I am going to force Ford to handle it terminatedly!
I've noticed this problem on earlier model GT's as well. Get into it, do some road raging then it peters out on the turns! Fooey! No excuse for that. None!
Old 03-10-2007, 02:36 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

[How long have you been experiencing the pinging?
Unless you have a performance tune you should not be hearing any pinging whatsoever.
Other causes but more related to performance tunes are too sharp a global timing and fuel ratio curvesare out of calibration.
You can try higher octane fuel, one step up should be enough just to see if it is the fuel quality / grade you've been using.
Good luck!
Wolfey2k
Its been since the beginning.
I've used every brand out in our area, Shell, Mobil, Sunoco, Citgo (some have ethanol, I skip them, the manual tells you to)
Knock sensor, I've heard that mentioned before.
I'm thinking timing - I know the tuners have a 2500+ setting to retard timing.
Can't use higher octane or you'll void warranty.

But its now pinging at 2400 and 80MPH... getting nervous.

Engine damage????

We'll see tomorrow.

I'm supposed to take a mechanic out in a new mustang off the floor and beat on it.

I like my dealership!!

SOHC
Old 03-10-2007, 03:02 AM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCman

ORIGINAL: wolfey2k

[How long have you been experiencing the pinging?
Good luck!
Wolfey2k
Its been since the beginning.
I've used every brand out in our area, Shell, Mobil, Sunoco, Citgo (some have ethanol, I skip them, the manual tells you to)
Knock sensor, I've heard that mentioned before.
I'm thinking timing - I know the tuners have a 2500+ setting to retard timing.
Can't use higher octane or you'll void warranty.

But its now pinging at 2400 and 80MPH... getting nervous.

Engine damage????

We'll see tomorrow.

I'm supposed to take a mechanic out in a new mustang off the floor and beat on it.

I like my dealership!!

SOHC
Got it!
Well sounds like you need something fixed for sure. Knock sensor will be one of the first things the tech will check. Sometimes a bad sensor will not drop a code so it won't show up on their test equipment. However, there is live data collection that should tell the tale. They can always just replace the sensor and they can reflash your ECU too. Could just be a glitch. Could be a lose connection somewhere in the sensory wiring etc.

Mine does not ping but I use 93 octane as I have a CAI and a tune.
I don't believe using higher than recomended octane will void the warranty. I doubt that very seriously.

When I had the stock tune, my engine never pinged either just in case you're wondering ;] and I was running 87 octane at the time.

I know when you're doing 40 MPH or better the automatic will run in overdrive which slightly lugs the engine but she's a torque monster and can handle it very easily which is something I really like about it.
Reminds me of the good ol' 289 and 302's I had decades ago. Strokin lil' monsters!

Anyway, good luck at the dealer tomorrow.
I have a great dealer too. They'll let me drive what ever I want on the lot, well except for the Ford GT ;-). Yeah I did get to drive a Shelby 500 before I baught my pony. Couldn't afford the payments on the Shelby. Scary! If I had say 20 G's to put down on it I probably would have gotten one though. Oh well, maybe next time ;-)

I'm very happy with my lil' pony. She's a real schueet heart!

Wolfey2k