Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!
Old 10-26-2015, 02:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

4.0 performance issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 03:58 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Default 4.0 performance issues

Hi folks!

I'm new here and thought I'd share a little good and bad news.

Anyone else having these troubles (2006 4.0 w/ Automatic)? (foundsolution to #1)
1. Intermittant bogging down under acceleration after cruising at a set speed for a while (slow or fast). Bogging from a dead stop. (service tech couldn't duplicate)
2. Extreme pinging (detonation) under light acceleration in OD between 2500-3000 RPM range. After that, or under HARD acceleration, it doesn't ping. (service tech couldn't duplicate, I had to take him for a ride. He looked a little green... PS: that's between 90-100 MPH)

If you have the first problem, the solution isto talk to your Ford service guy and reference Tech Service Bulletin, TSB 06-09-09. There is a new model FUEL PUMP available. The old design allows air bubbles to collect near the fuel line inlet. You slow down, then try to accelerate and the bubbles get sucked into your fuel line!

The pinging issue I still have, and will let you know if they figure it out.

If anyone else has/had this problem, let me know.

Thanks
Bob
Old 02-26-2007, 04:16 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.0 performance issues

Hi Bob! Welcome to the forum!

What is the year of your car?

I own an 07 pony package with bolt on mods.
I haven't had the pinging issue on 87 octane fuel but I do try to use good brands such as Sunoco.

I've been using them for years with no issues. Perhaps it's the brand of gasoline you're using?

I have however had the stalling or bogging issue afew times and it was definately the symptom of the fuel pump sucking air! Engine petered out and ran like crud for about 30 seconds then settled down or I would pull over, shut the engine down then start it back up to re-prime the fuel system. Works every time. ;-) But I have only had this problem after hard acceleration both in the straights and in turns. Usually it will peter out after a hard turn under acceleration. Completely unnacceptable.

Thanks for the TSB # but since I haven't read it yet I am wondering if it's available for 07's.I'll look it up right now though.

Again, welcome to the forum!
Wolfey2k
Old 02-26-2007, 04:34 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Hi Wolfey2k,

I edited the year into the message (it's a 2006).

I have tried every brand (without the ethanol).

Not it. I go through a tank a day so I've tried them all.

This is my "commuter" car. I spend 3+ hrs a day driving so I figured that my options were a boringimport econobox or something I actually LIKE to drive... Test drove at 3... brought it home that night... traded my wife's van in for it (she wasn't too pleased, but she got over it)...

I am REALLY impressed overall with the 4.0! I can get over 30MPG if I baby it, but I usually average 25MPG at 80MPH... Power-braking works nicelyuntil the traction control takes over in second gear... won't spin from a dead stop otherwise... nice when racing (who said that?!)

I have owned 351 Cougars and a 429CJ Torino (all 1970's) but this is my first V6 in a car.

Once my factory waranty expires, I'll be getting rid of the rev-limiter and traction control...

OH, one HUGE disappointment, is that there is no limited-slip axle option for this model... the dealer says they don't make anything other than one-leggers... Do you know of any aftermarket vendors for axles/gears for the 2006?

Thanks again,
Bob
Old 02-26-2007, 05:32 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

Hey Bob!
A tank a day eh? Whew!

I've been busy on another thread regarding 2007 Front Thunking Noise.
https://mustangforums.com/fb.asp?m=2789855

You don't hear any thunking coming from your front end over small bumps at slow to moderate speeds do you? It's an issue I am working on resolving. Thousands of owners are complaning about it as well.

Really? Your Ford dealer is telling you that there is no option for the rear end? My gosh! That's absurd! They should can who ever told you that.
I can tell you that Ford does sell a Traction Lock differential for our7.5 rear ends. I installed one just about a month or so ago and I love it!
http://rpmoutlet.com/05v6fordgear.htm#1

They list it as "Ford Racing Posi-Traction (Traction-Lok) 7.5" Differential, 28 Tooth Spline"
Part number FMSM4204C75
It's slightly mislabled as being for 3.8liter V6from '94 to '07 but it's the same/correct animal.

It costs $189.00 plus shipping I believe but I have heard others getting them for $169.00 elsewhere.
You can install it yourself but if you're not an experienced suspension or drivetrain tech, I'd have the dealer install it. My dealer is a great place and they do aftermarket and Ford racing parts installs all the time and it is covered under warranty as well as it won't void your current drivetrain warranty either.
Cool eh? My dealer is located in Alexandria Va.if you live in the DC metro area. PM me if you want the exact name, address and contact info.

I didn't know 06's didn't come with the TCS kill button on the dash next to the emergency light button. 07's do. I could swear when I test drove an 06 GT it had that button on the dash. I sure was lighting-em up! ;-)...
Maybe Ford owes you an extra button? ;-)

You can turn TCS off via a tuner if you want to spend $399 bucks on one. You can also add some pep but you may lose MPG,,,cause you'll have your foot in it even more often ;-).

Also a tune is pretty much manditory after you get the tlock installed. Won't power brake smoke-um for nothin otherwise. Of course we don't do that right? ;-)

Wolfey2k

Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

ORIGINAL: SOHCman

OH, one HUGE disappointment, is that there is no limited-slip axle option for this model... the dealer says they don't make anything other than one-leggers... Do you know of any aftermarket vendors for axles/gears for the 2006?

Thanks again,
Bob
Hey Bob,

Welcome to MF! It is true that you cannot get a Limited Slip Differential (LSD, or some call it posi) as a factory-option on the 4.0L V6, but your dealer was remiss in not seeing an opportunityto talk to you about a dealer-installed LSD. The Ford t-lock (LSD) is the part that they could install. Another choice would be the stronger Detroit Tru-Track.

Post some pics when you can...

Bill Jr.
28HopUp
a S197 section moderator
Old 02-26-2007, 06:46 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Thanks Wolfey2k and Bill Jr!

You guys have made my day!!!

I will be stopping by my dealer tomorrow on the ride home!

I'm assuming they can get the part directly... I'm also bringing the printouts from the link you sent me... they can give it to me for that price since they gave me seriously incorrect information!

They are gonna be sick of me down there... I already know ALL the service guys by name (as does the wife for her F150)...

As for the clunking/thunking/thumping/wumping/bumping sound you guys are hearing... I've never noticed. I WILL be listening very carefully on the ride home tonight!

I am about3 tanks of gas away from VA (I'm in the Green Mt State). That little photo is the view from my front yard...

As for the TCS kill button... don't think so. Will look tonight,it did take 2 months for figure out the hazard light button by accident!

I also thought the '05-'06 had TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System... again, I don't think it has it either... no loss IMHO.

One less problem when upgrading rubber in the spring to 255/55R16.

Thanks again for the great news! I knewyou could help!
Bob
Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 28HopUp

ORIGINAL: SOHCman

Thanks again,
Bob
Hey Bob,

Welcome to MF! It is true that you cannot get a Limited Slip Differential (LSD, or some call it posi) as a factory-option on the 4.0L V6, but your dealer was remiss in not seeing an opportunityto talk to you about a dealer-installed LSD. The Ford t-lock (LSD) is the part that they could install. Another choice would be the stronger Detroit Tru-Track.

Post some pics when you can...

Bill Jr.
28HopUp
a S197 section moderator
Well put hopup. I guess I got a bit emotional there :-[.
I guess every dealer isn't up with the times in selling aftermarket upgrades. One would think their shops would be hungry for a piece of that market ;-).
Old 02-26-2007, 06:52 PM
wolfey2k
4th Gear Member

You're very welcome Bob! No problemo. Always willing to help out a fellow retro-stanger ;-).
Yeah, TPMS is a waste of money and electronics IMO. Keeps the dealer shops busy though ;-D..

Wolfey2k
Old 02-26-2007, 07:02 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Guys,

Is it just me, or do I sense a complete lack of comprehension by technicans and salespeople today?

Granted, cars today are more complicated, but jeesh, If you're selling an '07 Mustang and a potential buyer asks you something basic like "How much horsepower?" why isn't there an answer on their tongue?

The tech that rode with me for the "pinging" didn't know too much about TPMS or traction control or... you get the idea...

When I worked for Chrysler (back in the 80's) I wasn't even working parts, but I knew you could buy superchargers for the 2.2...

General stuff always seemed to be important...

Ah, well, I digress... my appologies!

I am gonna hit the road now, talk later tonight if the wife lets me.

Bob
Old 03-09-2007, 10:48 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Does anyone else have a problem with detonation between 2500-3000 RPM?

Last night I was riding 4th with the OD locked out and lo and behold, there was the pinging again!

This morning it was pinging down around 2400RPM.

I have another appointment with the dealer tomorrow.

I also have the "new" design fuel pump.

Does anyone else have a problemlike this? Different RPM range?

Thanks

SOHC

Quick Reply: 4.0 performance issues