Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Question on ignition timing

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:59 AM
YellowBones

Default Question on ignition timing

Hello everybody,

I wonder if I could switch the ignition timing on my 2006 V6 man. towards 91 octan gas without buying a tuner. Did somebody has experience in changing timing? Do I have to change other parameters too?

Thanks for your help...!
Old 03-05-2007, 02:48 AM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Question on ignition timing

only way to do it is with a tuner, sorry.

no distributor to manually adjust
Old 03-05-2007, 07:35 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YellowBones

Hello everybody,

I wonder if I could switch the ignition timing on my 2006 V6 man. towards 91 octan gas without buying a tuner. Did somebody has experience in changing timing? Do I have to change other parameters too?

Thanks for your help...!
actually the car's computer should automatically try to add more timing... The knock sensor will actually add a couple of degrees of timing if the computer thinks the car is "under-sparked"... One of the mags showed like a 5HP (i think RWHP) gain by running premium in a GT... you won't see that much of a gain, but you should still see something... (same computer, basically same programming)
Old 03-05-2007, 09:23 AM
MdnytRider
1st Gear Member

In the January issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords, they tried increasing the octane in a V6 from 87 to 91 and lost 3 hp (though they attributed this to variables between dyno runs). Their conclusion was that there is no premium fuel strategy on the V6, so any increase in octane without changing the tune seems like wasted money.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:35 PM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Hi Folks,

Still having this problem with my Pony and the dealer can't figure it out. Must be low on their priority list:

(2006 4.0 w/ Automatic)
Extreme pinging (detonation) under light acceleration in OD between 2500-3000 RPM range. After that, or under HARD acceleration, it doesn't ping.

Whether uphill, downhill or level,between 90-100 MPH she sounds like she's gonna explode.

You guys mention a "knock sensor", is that on the V6 as well or just the V8?

Spring is coming and I want to make sure my engine survives till then.

Does ANYONE else have this problem?

The manual says NOT to run anything other than 87 octane, but this is rediculous!

Thanks
SOHC
Old 03-05-2007, 06:18 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MdnytRider

In the January issue of 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords, they tried increasing the octane in a V6 from 87 to 91 and lost 3 hp (though they attributed this to variables between dyno runs). Their conclusion was that there is no premium fuel strategy on the V6, so any increase in octane without changing the tune seems like wasted money.
Interesting... we never watched the stock tune... wonder if it's some stuff carried over from the GT tune into the V6 tune (aftermarket tune)... because we definitely seen the computer trying to add more timing.... hmmmmm...
Old 03-08-2007, 03:18 PM
YellowBones

ORIGINAL: fazm

I asked my garage today. They told me, they can (and they will). But I need some settings for the timing point, because they are not sure, where to go and if others setting should be done either. After all, I don`t want to burn my pony...
Any idea?

Old 03-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I wouldn't let anyone else beside ford mess with the car at this time. A shop that needs information from you on your car is not going to fix anything. They're going to hose it and leave you with a voided warranty if something goes wrong.

Hand held tuners have done tons for the throttle by wire systems in the new stangs. $400 now vs who knows what if you let someone mess with your car that doesn't know what they're doing.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:31 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YellowBones

ORIGINAL: fazm

I asked my garage today. They told me, they can (and they will). But I need some settings for the timing point, because they are not sure, where to go and if others setting should be done either. After all, I don`t want to burn my pony...
Any idea?

im sorry, but your garage is wrong. you can not adjust timing without a tuner to reprogram the computer (or ford can do it as well without a tuner)
Old 03-10-2007, 06:07 AM
YellowBones

Thanks a lot. I think you prevent me from making a mistake...

Quick Reply: Question on ignition timing