Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Any cheap drone solutions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 02:37 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

Default Any cheap drone solutions??

I just installed the pypes true dual exhaust with street pro muffs, but theres a pretty bad drone that starts at 2000 rpm. I know I can switch out the mufflers, or put resonators on, but is there anything else I can do? (besides crank the music up because it's already up! [&:]) Thanks guys
Old 03-24-2007, 03:10 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Any cheap drone solutions??

Maybe install some sort of cheap dynamat in the trunk.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:24 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

I've heard about that but not sure if there are guranteed results.Plus, that would be $100 and with that I could get some resonators put on.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:05 AM
OIIIIO
4th Gear Member

maybe you just need to break them in first.... see what happens!
Old 03-24-2007, 04:39 AM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

I hope that it gets better within time.. either that or I'll probably just get used to it. But before I bought the exhaust, I heard about the drone from wolfey, but decided to give it a try. I guess I'll let it go on for a little longer, but it'll be a test when i drive back to school in a few days. Hour and a half on the highway, hopefully it won't be that bad.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Steven6095
3rd Gear Member

Trust me, dynamat in trunk really does not do all that much. Been there done that, done that a lot actually ; )

One guy on another forum put a peice on the top of his muffler and claimed great success. That actually has some accustical basis.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:41 PM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Steven6095

Trust me, dynamat in trunk really does not do all that much. Been there done that, done that a lot actually ; )

One guy on another forum put a peice on the top of his muffler and claimed great success. That actually has some accustical basis.
hmmm interesting...Im guinna play around with my MRT one day to see what I can do to stop some vibrations...
Old 03-24-2007, 01:39 PM
v6VenoM
3rd Gear Member

when you guys say Drone you mean that loud vibration that shakes the whole back of the car correct? because I have had my exhaust for a year and it still does it. What's a sure fire way to stop it?
Old 03-24-2007, 02:10 PM
damquick1
2nd Gear Member

I just today put on a Flowmaster Super40, and it sounds awesome! The guy that installed itwelded a 1 pound piece of steel to the back topside to eliminate drone and help stabilize the muffler andreduce any rattle. He said it basically does what the balancer that was on the factory setup does. I must say it sounds great, no drone whatsoever and it growls when you gas it...and believe this, he did it all for $120 bucks, of course the Flowmaster was on sale for $70 bucks, $20 for the nice stainless tip and $30 to remove the factory setup, cut off the muffler and weld onto the factory slip pipe,and the factorymounts, it slid perfectly into place and looks perfect.

Old 03-24-2007, 04:30 PM
GstangT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6VenoM

when you guys say Drone you mean that loud vibration that shakes the whole back of the car correct? because I have had my exhaust for a year and it still does it. What's a sure fire way to stop it?
Nope, the drone I'm talking about is the constant low hum you hear at 2k rpm coming from your exhaust. For me, nothing rattles, nothing vibrates, it's just the annoying hum! Well.. I guess I can stand it, but sometimes it just gets annoying.

And to the response with the dynamat on top of the mufflers.. sure I would do that, except.. don't you think it would melt? I don't think it'd last very long there, the mufflers do get pretty hot. Thanks for the replys/suggestions guys! Keep em coming!

Quick Reply: Any cheap drone solutions??