Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Any cheap drone solutions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:20 PM
buzzystang

Default RE: Any cheap drone solutions??

Hey guys - I have a V8 and have been following this thread. I've thought about using the V6 harmonic dampners to get rid of my drone with the Flowmasters. However, my drone sounds like it's coming from the front of the exhaust, almost sounds like a tranny problem. Is it possible for the cats to drone and not the mufflers?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:18 PM
57Heavy
1st Gear Member

The problem with mine was the droneing set in right at the normal cruising speed on the highway 65-70 mph. The faster I went, the worse it got. I don't want to have to turn up the radio, so I took off the street pro and put the stocker back on. Got a 2,000 mile vacation cruise coming up in April and didn't want to listen to that noise for 6 hours! Too bad cause other than the drone I loved the way it sounded. Think since I got the street pro off, I'll try having that piece welded to it. Hope it works.
57 Heavy
Old 03-31-2007, 10:57 PM
TAoW1939
1st Gear Member

I just installed MRT's aeroturbine muffler, it sounds great but I also have the low-end buzzing problem. I was thinking of clamping the factory resonator to the pipe between the can and the tip, hopefully that will get rid of the buzz and vibration.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Sir_Russell

My drone is gone. About nin months ago i had a local shop replace my OEM muffler with a magnaflow. It sounded great (loud) but had a pretty baddrone from about 2k to 4k rpms. When going steady doen the interstate at 80 and rps at about 2500 it was hard to carry on a conversation with a passenger at normal speaking voice. Well just this morning I had the shop install a second magnaflow and run the pipes for dual exhaust and custom x-pipe. The sound is not as loud but instead a much deeper better sound, the drone is gone and a slight increase inpower although didn't expect much change here.I love it. Cost $227. I think the drone also came from the air pressure that was being pushed down the exhaust pipe. Now that is is divided there is no more drone. Just great sound
Old 04-20-2007, 12:22 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

Hey guys,

I guess it is just a matter of opinion, but the drone everyone complains about is par for the course with loud mufflers. My 429 would make your bladder go spastic. My Corvair would vibrate your brain at 2200RPM

I have the Pypes True Duals with "X" and Street Pro Mufflers on my V6 and yes, there isvibration when under steady pedal and a load on the engine.

BUT, this is not such a big deal as everyone is making it out to be.

The drone is just the resonation of the mufflers at a steady speed. What PITCH the drone is at is what can be annoying.

Here are some vids of cruising at steady speeds:
http://media.putfile.com/2006-Mustan...ers-Cruise--70

http://media.putfile.com/2006-Mustan...ers-Cruise--80

Not annoying at all. Quite alot of fun actually.

Also if you back out of the throttle, the pipes go silent (great for sailing past all those police speedtraps).

Drone or no drone, it sounds pretty good for just a little 6!

http://media.putfile.com/0-60-2006-M...t-Pro-Mufflers

I'm quite pleased.

SOHC

PS: They mellowed out after about 200 miles.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:08 PM
FastMustang06
1st Gear Member

I have true duals with GT take off mufflers and I have that loud drone on idle. I replaced my headers with JBA shorties and it took away the drone and it's quieter now inside the cockpit.

From my own assessment, replacing the headers did the job in the drone of my mustang.