Notices
4.0L V6 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2 Shops said V6s do not need H pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 09:50 PM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 2 Shops said V6s do not need H pipes

The shop suggested to me that the best set up would be to run two straight pipes back. One from each header.... well, after the catalytic converters, I should say.

If it's most beneficial for the exhaust gases to take the path of least resistance, then this seems like a good set up. But at what sacrifice? Sound?

Some say there would be no backpressure and that would be bad. Some say less backpressure is good.

I'll be the guinea pig and find out, asIhave an appointment in the morning.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:58 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Would that pass inspection in your state?
Old 05-23-2007, 12:01 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCman

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

See I'm having a hard time deciding myself. It's either going be the Ninosport, Pypes PerformanceTrue Dual System w/Street Legal x Pipe or GT x-Pipe & Mid Pipe.
I already bought the GT takeoff mufflers.
Hi 07Stang!

I've got the Pypes PerformanceTrue Dual System w/Street Legal x Pipeand Street Pro mufflers.

Holy ****

LOVE THIS SETUP.

Absolutely no loss in performance and the sound gain is IMMENSE!

From cold idle being 106x louder than stock and 100+dB in the highway, these bad-boys are just what the doctor ordered!

Even cured my problem of "Hesitation On Acceleration After Long Cruise" TSB (that the new fuel pump didn't fix!).

Best mod I've done.

Next year, tuner and rims.

Check out my vids! (the mufflers were broken in when video was made)

SOHC
I just ordered mine today! Can't wait until they come in!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:25 AM
AmericanICON
3rd Gear Member

It is unlawful to operate a vehicle without mufflers in my state, however Nebraska does not require an annual inspection.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:29 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanICON

It is unlawful to operate a vehicle without mufflers in my state, however Nebraska does not require an annual inspection.
It's up to you, but I wouldn't run the risk of getting caught. All you need is to be stopped for a traffic violation and they may notice you have no mufflers.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:33 PM
DelStang86
2nd Gear Member

I heard a true dual setup down here in wicomico county, md.. sounded ridiculous... the guy deleted the cats and mufflers, just ran pipes (they only inspect cars in this county when they're sold)... really great sound, and he pulled pretty hard from a stop.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:01 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tientran

Hi . I am 100% agree with SOHCman.

I got dual withFord Racing X pipe, left mid-pipe , GT mufflers and brackets from Ford.
The car runs strongerand the sound is loud at take-off, but quieter at freeway speed. It even cured my problem of hesitation on acceleration.
I am very happy with the mod.
Hey tientran,

What do you think the "hesitation on acceleration" is really caused by?

I even had the new fuel pump installed.

We both switched and the problem disappeared.

Drove me crazy before the duals.

SOHC
Old 05-24-2007, 11:51 AM
tientran
2nd Gear Member

Hi, SOHCman.
Before dual exhausts, on freeway, While I drove slowly like 5 miles per hour due to heavy traffic,I pressed gas pedal to change lane.The car almost did not move for 1 or 2 seconds and then it took off strongly.It looks like it has no power for 1 or 2 seconds and then too much power. I don't know what caused the problem. I intended to take it to the dealer for fuel pump TSB, but after installing dual, the problem was gone.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:14 AM
SOHCman
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tientran

Hi, SOHCman.
Before dual exhausts, on freeway, While I drove slowly like 5 miles per hour due to heavy traffic,I pressed gas pedal to change lane.The car almost did not move for 1 or 2 seconds and then it took off strongly.It looks like it has no power for 1 or 2 seconds and then too much power. I don't know what caused the problem. I intended to take it to the dealer for fuel pump TSB, but after installing dual, the problem was gone.
Mine would happem anytime I was cruising at a constant velocity. In traffic, hit the gas to jump lanes and it would die, then spring back to life and roar with more power than requested.

Would exit the highway, come to a stop check traffic, hit the gas and BOG, then spring back to life and roar away tires squealing!

Hated it.

Never happens now.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:58 AM
heslekrants
2nd Gear Member

I installed dual GT mufflers (from a manual car) on my wife's 06 Pony without an X pipe 1st. It had a ricer sound and lost performance, 1/4 time went from 15.7 to 15.9.

Installed an X pipe and it sounds really good now. Have a little vibration at idle and a dead spot at 5500rpms. Got 206rwhp on the dyno. 1/4 time dropped to 15.5.

Installed a C&L cold air package & custom tune. Idles smooth, the dead spot is gone. Haven't been to the dyno yet. 1/4 time dropped to 14.8,hada hard time hooking up. Even ran a 14.8 with the A/C on full blast. Need a posi & slicks!

Quick Reply: 2 Shops said V6s do not need H pipes